Centurion 3000 Converter issue: flickering lights on DC power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Centurion 3000 Converter issue: flickering lights on DC power

Hey there,
Looking for input troubleshooting this issue. Just started last week.

-2002 Scamp 13'
-Cent. 3000 converter with 4 x 15 amp breakers on AC side; and 2 x 20 fuses; 2x15 fuses on the batt side. Converter is hardwired into Scamp electrical system; not plugged into outlet.
- All AC appliances work without issue. (flourescent, A/C unit, fridge)
- When Scamp is on shore power battery lights flicker a bit, in and out, depending how many are turned on and Overload light on converter comes on.
- When on battery power only, lights flicker like crazy and Overload light comes on and hums.
- Battery lights include LED lights on inside of camper (each end of kitch cupboards) and an incandescent bulb on the porch.
-Using the LED lights only, the issue is intermittant; using the incandescent light issue is really bad.
-I have checked fuses, breakers, connections (tho my electrical wiring knowledge is not much beyond changing a few lights and outlets)

I've read that the circuit boards on these units go out and also can be replaced. Is it worth replacing? Scamp no longer carries these units as parts are hard to find; they now use Progressive 30A Converter, plug-in style for $203... plus I'd have to have it installed at a shop. Not sure if I can use my same panel.

Errrgggg!!!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Shannon
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
with a little bit of effort you can probably make a PD converter fit your existing converter setup, I made mine work on an 81 Trillium. It sounds very much like a bad connection somewhere, especially that as load increases on the wiring the flickering gets worse. i would carefully check common ground connections especially in the converter compartment to see if there are any loose wires. if not, the biggest cost should be the new PD converter and 2-3 hours to fit it in place. Maybe a trip to MN this summer and have scamp repair it while you tour their factory?

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights