Ceramic heater size for Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Red face Ceramic heater size for Scamp 13?

Need advice on approrpiate portable ceramic heater for my Scamp.

I read somewhere on this site that the best portable heater is a ceramic heater. So I tossed my old heater and bought a portable ceramic at Home Depot. Box states ideal room size: small, 120vAC/1500 Watts/12.5 Amps/60Hz. China, of course. Model #732906.

I cannot find the cubic interior footage info of my 13 ft Scamp, nor do I know if this heater is way too big to use in my Scamp and may cause problems with the wiring.

Suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You got the right size. Just set the thermostat to you desired temp. and set the heater in a clear open area of the camper.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #3

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
thanks, Eddie;
This year I'm being really prepared...new portable heater, electric throw blanket, and, hopefully, the Scamp propane furnace works. Got caught in Oregon desert with day temps in hi 80's w/o sleeping bag...figured not needed, until sudden drop at night below freezing and propane furnace wouldn't light...not a happy camper.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use the cheapy $12 heaters from Walmart. You do NOT need a "ceramic" heater in a 13' Scamp....unless you're staying in 0 Deg temps and I'm not going to be camping that cold with ANY heater

AND, as an edit based on another post I just read, these cheapies pull at the MOST 10-12A.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Georgia
The ceramic heater that you bought is just fine (actually I think it is the ONLY kind sold). It will use approx. 15 AMPS of current, probably the max. allowed by your "circuit breaker". You very likely will NOT need that electric blanket; AND the heater plus the blanket might "trip" off that 15 AMP breaker, if both the heater and the blanket are on the same "circuit". So just go with the heater.
dkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
Most ceramic heaters have a hi/low switch. High is 1500 watts (12.5 amps) and low is 500 watts (4.2 amps). My experience with small trailers (boler, hunter compact 1) is the low setting is usually more than adequate. High setting while controlling the heater with the built-in thermostat results in short heater run times and less consistent temps since thermostats are typically not very sensitive and temp swings are noticeable (and uncomfortable - too hot then 5 minutes later too cold) Low setting results in more even temps. High setting for me is reserved for times when I want a quick warm up from very cold temp. Main advantage of the ceramic heater is compact size.
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
scamp 13 heater

we travel between washington and california numerous times during the year. we have a little portable electric with a fan. we can set it to the lowest setting about 700w and it does fine. the only inconvenience is that it keeps us warm in bed but if we reach down to the floor level it is about 20 degrees cooler. it's not a problem for us.

you should be fine.
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
We used a ceramic heater in our first 13 foot sticky trailer starting back in 1994. It was wonderful and we camped in the snow at Thanksgiving in Manitoba. We placed it under the table so it was warm from almost floor level on up. We then bought a 24 foot sticky trailer and we still use the same ceramic heater in it and we still camp in the snow at Thanksgiving. We are now looking forward to using that old hearter when we go out with our 1979 1700 Boler. We don't expect to need anything more. As long as we have electricity we will use that heater otherwise we will use the propane furnace.
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
My ceramic heater is a "dually." It will heat at 900 watts or 1500 watts. While I don't camp in frigid weather, I have camped when night temperatures got down to freezing or just below. I have never used my current ceramic heater on the higher 1500 watt setting. At 900 watts, it kept my previous trailer, a Scamp 19 in the low 70s all night long, and it keeps my Escape 5.0TA in the mid 70s. Almost any ceramic heater should be adequate for a Scamp 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd get any old 1,500 watt ceramic heater, but, I'd keep the receipt, take it home and turn it on. Some are terribly noisy. I took one back before settling on a Honeywell that was compact and relatively quiet.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Helooo, fellow Scampers! I just like to add my little story. I have had a Polonis Ceramic heater since 1988. It has multiple settings the highest being 1500w. Anyway, The first week of March this year I got my new 13' Scamp. A situation arose requiring me to go to Vermont March 6. The Scamp drove like a charm. I brought along a portable generator I just bought also, called a Sidekick, 3000w. As night approached it got very cold, 19 deg!
Yes, this was going to be a survival test. Turned the Genny on around Ten o'clock, let it warm up a little plugged in the ceramic heater set on high! popped the fuse on the Genny several times. Now, I am getting very concerned!!! Thought for a bit and realized the immediate draw was too much too fast. Reset the Genny set the heater to the lowest setting, oh yeah! Went like a charm! Then just turned up the settings with no problems. I found the heater to be very efficient and consequently was super comfortable. Had to refill the gas in the Genny early in the morning as the duration is a little over six hours. All in all a test worth doing!!!!
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Watts divided by volts equals amps. So 1500 divided by 120 equals 12.5 amps.
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
SMall plug in ceramic heater

Anyone use a small ceramic mini heater(600watts), that plugs directly into the wall outlet in the 13’trailer.
No cord to trip over.
Anyone with any experience with these wall mounted electric heaters?
I camp in cool winter conditions- never below 25F in a 13’ Burro and wonder if these little heaters would do the job.
Thanks,
Larry
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My suggestion: Get one of these. Controls the heat much better, keeping it even within a narrow range. The thermostats on the heaters are too close, not very accurate, and offer no actual temperature settings. Spend the extra money for a lot more comfort. Just set the heater's thermostate to it's highest setting, select either the High (1500 watt) or low (500-750 watt, depending on heater), plug it into the Lux and enjoy. Let the Lux control the on/off cycles. I've been using this exact thermostat for 4 or 5 years - totally happy. I keep my trailer heated all winter to a minimal level here in Michigan. Just kick up the Lux thermostat when I want to use the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Lux-Automatic.../dp/B000E7NYY8
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
Anyone use a small ceramic mini heater(600watts), that plugs directly into the wall outlet in the 13’trailer.
No cord to trip over.
Anyone with any experience with these wall mounted electric heaters?
I camp in cool winter conditions- never below 25F in a 13’ Burro and wonder if these little heaters would do the job.
Thanks,
Larry
It might keep it above freezing inside but hard to know if you yourself will feel warm enough as everyone is a little different.

But in some trailers it can be difficult to find a place to plug them in that meets the recommendations of clearance area adjacent to the heater. Of course that is true for any type of portable heater you might choose to put into your trailer. I don't have a place to plug one into an outlet in my trailer that meets the standards of the 350 watt heater unit I have. Read the manual before you buy and take careful measurements.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp