Changing Tire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

Name: Ken & Ellen
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 16 ft Deluxe
Indiana
Changing Tire

We have a 2016 Scamp Deluxe 16 ft. Luckily we have never had a flat tire but the time will come. Being mechanically challenged, I thought I'd ask for advise on the best way to change the tire. Recommendations on jacks and anything else would be appreciated. I assume you would unhitch the camper from the tow vehicle and chock the other tire.

A step by step procedure with required equipment would be most appreciated.
KenEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I leave the trailer connected so I'm sure it won't move.

Remove the spare from the back of the trailer. I carry a wrench that I know will fit.

Loosen the lug nuts while the trailer is still on the ground so the wheel won't turn.

Jack the trailer under its frame near the tire, not the axle. What looks like the axle is really a housing for the rubber suspension parts and it will be damaged by lifting there.

Some of my tow vehicles over the years have come with a jack that would work with the trailer. I now carry a scissors jack for the trailer. Use leveling blocks under it if needed for more lift.

Change the tire and tighten the lug nuts finger tight.

Gently lower the jack until the tire is touching the ground and snug the nuts.

Put everything away and use the trailer sink to clean up.

You might want to try it in your driveway sometime.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Two things that some people dont forsee and can cause a problem:

1. When the tire is flat it can be hard to get enough clearance to get the jack under the frame. What works in your driveway when you do your practice run (as you should BTW), might not work with a flat on soft ground. Its a good idea to have a low profile jack and maybe a shovel. Also a few wood blocks can help.. position them just in front of the flat, tow the trailer's flat tire up and onto the block, and that might get the frame up enough. Of course with unstable blocks and a flat tire use extreme caution.

2. The bolts on the spare usually require a deep socket to get them off. Practice and you will know if you need another tool.

Above advice is good... esp. never change the trailer tire unless the tow veh is hooked up.

BTW, I would ignore the part of the above video about the EZ Lube. First, I prefer hand packing the bearings. Second, they dont mention that you need to rotate the wheel while adding grease. See the Dexter or Lippert manuals.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Get a cheap torque wrench, the right size socket, and a short extension. I just set our son up with the proper tools, got him a 1/2" drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight, a couple extensions, and a couple sockets. Also a breaker bar to loosen the nuts as the torque wrench shouldn't be used for that. He's a college professor so has no need for those tools otherwise, so just got the cheap stuff. I wasn't about to get him those tools from Snap-On, like mine.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote