Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #201

Name: Patti
Trailer: 13' Scamp
New York
still happy with test strip?

Hi! I'm looking to use the Red Max Pro and am hoping you can let me know how the finish looks now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G. View Post
I made a post 6 months ago about my "Test Spot" with some floor stuff. The test spot still looks great.

After reading this thread I went out and bought a gallon of Red Max Pro.

All I can say is this stuff is shockingly good. The shine is unbelievable. I have a 1998 16' Scamp Deluxe.

After the first coat I wasn't sure but as you add coats it evens out. I have 2 coats on one side and 3 on the other so far. I think 4 coats will do it.

Nothing I have done has worked as well as this.

I'm very happy.
PattiMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #202

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I put one coat of Red Max Pro #2 and one coat Red Max #3 on 1/3 of my camper today after scrubbing the entire thing with Barkeepers Friend= wow what a difference. Can't wait until tomorrow and put one another coat and finish the other 2/3. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #203

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I'm a chicken picker so it will take me a little time..
Hi, Randy!

O.K., I'm finally going to ask- after all this time-
What the heck does the last line (above: 7/24/2010) of your original post MEAN?
What's a chicken picker?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #204

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Randy!

O.K., I'm finally going to ask- after all this time-
What the heck does the last line (above: 7/24/2010) of your original post MEAN?
What's a chicken picker?

Francesca
"CHICKEN PICKER" definition...one who types with one finger

I've had Redmax on 2 campers close to a year now with "no" yellowing, "no" pealing, "no" problems what so ever...I'll post pictures very soon went camping over the Labor Day weekend and got them very muddy so they need a good washing first........................
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #205

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I've got the gallon of Red Max Pro #3 wax but not the #2 sealer; are many of you applying a coat of #2? One side of el Gordo (Burro 17) is scrubbed down with Barkeeper's; not the other. The side currently clean also has a horrible patch of raising gel coat on the aft roof radius where I assume the fabmat or cloth was not wet out sufficiently to get a good bond. It's been painted and looks pretty sad so going to have to sand that down and do some body filler work there and probably try a gel coat top coat from a Prevail sprayer or maybe brush on and cut down. THEN maybe I can get the Red Max on that side. So far applied only to a very weathered house battery box and looks very good. Going to set up a section of scaffolding as working on this big fat thing working from a ladder and clinging to a waste stack vent or AC while scrubbing ain't so very safe. As for weight-bearing roof, it certainly has one probably due to the "beam" effect of the Pullman car "clerestory" that runs fore and aft.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #206

Delaware
Faired in the bad patch mentioned above with white lightnin this afternoon. Unfortunately, I don't have the Evercoat PVA mold release that cooks off the gel goat (you old layup mechanics know that usually you spray the stuff on the mold AND THEN the gel coat; this way is bassakwards), so will have to check for that at Eastern Marine as I don't think trying to cure it with an application of saran wrap on this radius is going to work very well. Hoping to rebed one of the waste stack vents and the access door on the fridge AND the potable water chingus AND go over again with Bartender's this week and get the yellow waxy buildup done one side by next weekend. Then back it to other side of driveway, move scaffold and start all over on the starbd side. The bifurcation by vertical flange of clamshells appears to be the prime desideratum for determining what to do where. Probably good for me or I'd be trying to do everything at once.

jack
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #207

Pennsylvania
Registry
"I've got the gallon of Red Max Pro #3 wax but not the #2 sealer; are many of you applying a coat of #2?"
I did but it doesn't appear to make any difference. But 2 coats of #3 does, so I'm not wasting my effort with #2 anymore.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #208

Delaware
Thanks for the advice, Jim.

jack
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #209

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
I did not use any sealer. The stuff is sooo easy to put on. I used a microfiber cloth. Put on the rubber gloves. I soaked the cloth. Wrung it out. And just wiped it on. By the time I made it around the camper. I just went around again and again. It took no time at all. You can just keep going until you know it is done. The first coat even made it look so much better. Dont forget your pics...... before and after...
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #210

Pennsylvania
Registry
recent application- 2 coats # 3- wash cloth, no gloves. now my fingernails look like I have nail polish, listen up guys, ask a girl to help you and get a free nail polish out of the deal.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00819.JPG   DSC00820.JPG  

DSC00821.JPG   DSC00822.JPG  

Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #211

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Now that's got shine.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #212

Pennsylvania
Registry
For what it is worth, I spoke with Jim Palmer re: my acne on the roof. He said that fiberglass is porous and will absorb stains. Unless you seal it with a wax it can happen to any fiberglass trailer. I guess it is important that we keep our units waxed
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #213

Delaware
Man, "Nest Egg" looks wonderful, Jiim, but of course I thought that Egg Camper was a startup recently and you had an essentially new egg? On the other hand, i guess the gel coat will oxidize fast enuf and you're ahead of the curve if the Red Max holds up and you don't have to do the REAL Armstrong treatment repeatedly. I also notice that our opinions about chicken plucking have been expurgated. I don't care that much for "hands on" moderator censoring but maybe it's OK that our opinions went away. Of course, we'll still have them but we have a second chance of making and keeping friends and that counts for something.

jack
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #214

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Hi Folks,
going down to the States tomorrow and will be buying a gallon of Red Max for my 13' boler.Will this be enough to do the required 5 coats ? Just want to make sure I don't run short...
Thanks,
Andy
Andy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #215

Name: Denis
Trailer: 5TH WHEEL
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Hi Folks,
going down to the States tomorrow and will be buying a gallon of Red Max for my 13' boler.Will this be enough to do the required 5 coats ? Just want to make sure I don't run short...
Thanks,
Andy
One gallon is plenty to do it at least a few times if not more.
djs14534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #216

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, a Quart will do the entire trailer at least twice.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #217

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Bought a Gallon at Lowes in Grand Forks & the Bartenders Helper was right above it.It's like they were expecting me !Now to GETERDONE !!
Andy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #218

Name: Lyndee
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Wow Randy--the units look fabulous!!! Did you have to clean the gel coat before you applied the finish?
Lyndee in the Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #219

Delaware
My "little Captain" and I admire our shinola job on the port side of el Gordo. Four coats of Red Max on the port side; three looked even, reflective, adequate. Calm and overcast day; really the worst threat to a perfect finish was particles of dirt and bark from the Norwegian spruce in bkgrnd. Also many I-seeums-just-fine which aspired to the status of flies in amber. Have to take the larger view that the wax is a cosmetic improvement and dirt shedder and a few embedded bugs don't matter much to those passing at 85mph!

I have a section of scaffold set up which helped with the initial Barkeeper's scrubdown. A painter's extension pole and a bonified Polyglow applicator and a ladder was all that was needed for the ap (altho I did climb out on the central roof to cut in the first coat with the smaller chamois included with the Polyglow mop. The bifurcation by vertical seam inclines one to do the job by halves so now it's on to the right side. I'm closing in on a presentable rig for the Delaware Water Gap rendezvous next month but still quite a bit to do evenings and weekends.

jack (the old dog with the little dog)

Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #220

Delaware
. . . and another with the sun in a better position this evening:

Tags
poliglow