Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #281

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well, I guess I'll end up like one of those insects, I did not read the label, I used my bare hand in applying the ReddMaxx and even remarked that when done, my nails looked like they had been manicured!! Oh well, maybe I'll go out and play in traffic....
SEriously though, one (myself included) needs to start taking precautions with everything.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #282

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I had read the warning to wear gloves and wore one on my 'working hand". The other hand came out with gloriously bright finger nails. Really not bad looking.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #283

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I had read the warning to wear gloves and wore one on my 'working hand". The other hand came out with gloriously bright finger nails. Really not bad looking.....
I know, I felt like Tom Sawyer painting the white picket fence when the ladies saw my nails they wanted to apply the polish. (Or was that Huck Finn?)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #284

Florida
Red Max Crazy

We have a Red Maxed trailer and we've Red Maxed the car's plastic parts and every thing seems great.

The headlight lens on our 7 year old Honda CRV are looking foggy so today I did them as well. Two coats so far but a dramatic improvement. I'm not sure if the lens damage is due to sun oxidation or travel sand blasting but now they look pretty smooth.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #285

Name: Mike
Trailer: Newmar Dutch Star
Texas
Hey Norm- Maybe you could get yourself a booth at the front of WalMart doing nails.

You will have to work on custom colors and patterns next!
Mike and Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #286

Florida
Nails???

I think I should get a booth in front of Lowes. I could get a truck with a cap and do just half with Red Max to highlight the power of Red Max, the difference is dramatic.

Unfortunately no matter how hard people have tried over the last 11 years I am not willing to work again. Retirement and RVing has been wonderful and rejuvenating in so many ways, a virtual fountain of youth.

Thanks for the idea

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #287

Name: BKay
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Patterson View Post
Rick,
I have followed this thread with great interest because my 2001 Casita was purchased from an individual who had stored it in a lot in the hot Alabama sun. I have had the trailer for about four years and in all that time I have rubbed and scrubbed and waxed and 303ed, etc. As a result, the trailer looked "pretty good" but I was disappointed that I could never bring it anywhere near that new look. After reading this thread, I decided to go ahead and take the risk of having the first yellow Casita (although I don't really think it will yellow based on other's reports). Anyway, yesterday I got out and scrubbed the trailer down with Barkeepers Friend, waited for everything to dry and put on the Red Max. By the time I got to the fourth coat, I was grinning from ear to ear. As you have stated, I don't know what the future will be, but for now I am elated with the results. Thanks for posting your discovery and for giving directions on how you got it done.

Fred

Fred, I know this is old news to many but new to me. Your Casita looks great after yo
bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #288

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Four months now on the Red Max Pro shinola job on the 98 Burro 17. Washed once just before the Poconos egg rally. Second time this morning as we are going to Elk Neck State Pk. this evening. Maple leaves starting to come down and the usual needles and bark dirt from Norway spruce. I won't way I didn't have to rub a bit with the mitt to get some black streaks off (runoff from the stove hood vent particularly resistant and I'm guessing this is due to sheet metal screws not being stainless steel) but the yellow outline of leaves and bugjuice easily removed. I didn't do the center top as nobody sees it except from the GoogleEarth perspective. Got to do the tug (06 4runner) next.

My prognostication for a change in appearance of this glop is that on older trailers such as mine, the initial smoothness of the flowed out ap will not be retained for long on the surfaces (the roof) which have greatest exposure to heat of the summer sun. My opinion is that gel coat is porous and retains air which expands upon application of heat and results in what I describe as "microheaving". This is not large scale bubbling or separation of the wax but a slight roughness apparent to the touch. I can live with it.

As for the "waxy yellow buildup" allegations, to my old eyes there is no apparent change in color cast after four months. Immediately after application, I thought I noticed a slight "bronze" cast to the coating. This disappeared after a few days; possibly a result of total polymerization and cure. I think it's important to consider what sort of applicator you're using; I have read of one case of microfiber cloths which bled a less than colorfast dye into the wax (believe it was red or blue). Personally, I think the 15$ Polyglow applicator menitoned by Andy Bishop is worth the money; a nice eight inch wide swath seems to me an easier ap than swiping around with drippy rags but to each his own.

Of course there are no final solutions to the problems of weather and UV exposure but the maintaining of an unbroken and relatively-easily cleaned membrane for one year seems to me to be a realistic and practical test. Does anyone have any ideas about the prep for the anniversary recoat. I would hate to reapply next June and have scaling problems!!!!! Should I plan on relying solely on BF to remove dirt and provide a bit of tooth to the wax? Would there be any advantage to a TSP or Simple Green wash? I think this deserves some consideration BEFORE we all screw up a good thing.

happy jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #289

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you look at the Redd Maxx bottle there is a #4 step where you have a renewer. I have not seen this @ Lowes but it maybe the solution to your question.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #290

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you look at the Redd Maxx bottle there is a #4 step where you have a renewer. I have not seen this @ Lowes but it maybe the solution to your question.
Hadn't thought of that, Jim. Thanks. By the by, do you have another egg yet? Perhaps you don't need one until spring.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #291

Pennsylvania
Registry
Not yet, but hopefully I'll have something for another rally next Spring or summer similar to the one we had this year. I'm leaning towards World's End SP in Pa. or a KOA in New York. It's on my "Roundtoit"
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #292

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 1974 ECO ~ Just purchased!
California
I'm planning on starting this project today. I went to Lowes and they only had the Red Max 3 in 5 gallon containers! That's way too much!

I called Home Depot and they don't carry it (??) although they were pretty unhelpful on the phone and I don't necessarily believe them.

QUESTION:

Is there any harm in using barkeepers friend on the COLOR painted parts of the trailer? Mine is 2 tone, light blue/white. I'm worried about BKF taking off the paint... no?

Thanks!! I'll post before/after pics.
AuntHoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #293

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntHoodoo View Post
I'm planning on starting this project today. I went to Lowes and they only had the Red Max 3 in 5 gallon containers! That's way too much!

I called Home Depot and they don't carry it (??) although they were pretty unhelpful on the phone and I don't necessarily believe them.

QUESTION:

Is there any harm in using barkeepers friend on the COLOR painted parts of the trailer? Mine is 2 tone, light blue/white. I'm worried about BKF taking off the paint... no?

Home Depot carries a product called ZEP which is the same thing made by the same manufactor and no I wouldn't use BKF on painted surfaces it has a abrasive in it that would thin down the paint surface unlike gelcoat that is thicker and sometimes needs a very thin top layer removed after oxidation...
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #294

California
Thanks for your reply. So, does that mean that I can wash the blue part of the body with TSP and it will be clean enough to do the Floor Finish? Should I just use TSP for cleaning and skip BKF unless it's on the metal surfaces (frames and belly band)?

Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #295

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:

QUESTION:

I checked my local Lowe's on line and they indicated none in stock, but when I happened to drop in and check at the nearest store and asked, they showed me exactly where it was and they actually had several gallons on hand. Of course I only needed one.
The advantage of the BKF is that it helps remove stains, while the TSP helps remove any residue that would prevent good Red Max adherance. I would try just the TSP on the painted surfaces, and if your painted surface looks good enough after the TSP then you could get away without using the slightly abrasive BKF.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #296

California
better question might be, how do I make sure the outside of my trailer is actually gel coat?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #297

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
better question might be, how do I make sure the outside of my trailer is actually gel coat?
Hillary, here's a topic for you: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-40324.html

The easiest, but not 100% foolproof is if you have any rubber gaskets, lift up an edge (carefully). Often folks don't pull windows, etc. out when they paint (and they really should) and you can see the difference in an edge between paint and gel coat. Also look for any roughness around any openings... hatches and the like.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #298

Name: Gary
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree MH
California
Quote:
I really wouldn't worry about it. If the trailer has lost it's shine, regardless of whether or not it is gel coat or paint, Red Max will put a shine on it. As you can see in the pics of my motorhome (back around page 17 of this thread), my painted cab was in bad shape. I used BKF to give it a deep cleaning, TSP to make shure there was no residual wax, and then 4 coats of RMP. Looks fantastic, no difference between the painted cab and the fiberglass "house" portion of the RV. It's now been nearly 7 months in the SoCal sun for me, and it all still looks great.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #299

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Cute whether it is baby moons or what ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I have Poliglow on mine since 2009 with no problems and still looks GREAT.But Red Max Pro is a lot cheaper and might work as well.
Attachment 33243
Your scamp looks so cute with the little red baby moons? That really looks good
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #300

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
sfoss
Thanks
My wife and I put a lot of work into restoring our Scamp. I love how the PoliGlow makes it look like new. People can't believe it's a 1983 when we go camping.Click image for larger version

Name:	july 074.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	42537 Best of luck looking for a new rig.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow