Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #361

Trailer: Boler 1300
Registry
I found Barkeeper's Friend at Bed Bath and Beyond at CrossIron Mills Mall in Balzac, AB. I would imagine that they carry it in all their stores.
Willy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #362

Name: Shelly
Trailer: 1975 Triple E TM10 Surfside
Saskatchewan
I can't wait to try this and am wondering how much of the zep you guys have used for 4 coats. Where I'll be doing it I won't be near a lowes or home depot and want to make sure I have enough. Thanks! Also sounds like you just rub it in with a cloth? No wiping off? And should I be wearing gloves?
sherad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #363

Name: Shelly
Trailer: 1975 Triple E TM10 Surfside
Saskatchewan
Also one more question. Some people have been talking about the paint on their fg I don't know that mine is painted. Is that possible?
Attached Thumbnails
image-2951925969.jpg  
sherad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #364

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherad View Post
I can't wait to try this and am wondering how much of the zep you guys have used for 4 coats. Where I'll be doing it I won't be near a lowes or home depot and want to make sure I have enough. Thanks! Also sounds like you just rub it in with a cloth? No wiping off? And should I be wearing gloves?
You just wipe it on and let it dry, it does not take much, 2 coats used about 8 oz so a gallon will give you 16 coats.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #365

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherad View Post
Also one more question. Some people have been talking about the paint on their fg I don't know that mine is painted. Is that possible?
It is possible that it may have been painted. Most paint jobs are not done properly. Check around your windows, gaskets, lights, inlets etc for signs of painting. Paint also peels where gel coat does not. Most older fiberglass on the outside will have some spiderchecking somewhere in the gelcoat. Paint usually covers that. Most older gel coats have a chaulky surface that buffs up a bit with a good cleaning, try a test patch in an inconspicuous place.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #366

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Looking at the photo's I would say it "NOT" painted....The Surf Side decals would probably be missing if painted......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #367

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I used 1/4 gallon for 4 coats on my 17' Bigfoot. Wear gloves. It's thin, like water, and will run if you try to apply too thick. One coat will dry before you can make it around the trailer.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #368

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
barkeepers friend is not the only powder that works, ajax comet or any of the gritty powdered soaps will do the job. The thing that got me was how bad it looked after the first coat, on the third it started to shine like a babies butt. I found the best thing to use is a face cloth folded twice and using the latex gloves that Dr's use. I just saturated the face cloth and wiped it on make sure you wring the cloth out so its not dripping as it runs like crazy when its dripping wet. If you get it on your hands its sticky and will be a job getting it off. I held off doing mine for 18-20 months till the reports started coming in from folks who had gone through a summer of hot sun.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #369

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I think Comet and Ajax has bleach in them and BarKeepers does not..I might be wrong...Really wouldn't matter if the camper is white like a Scamp, Casita, Boler or Burro.....But I wouldn't want to use a bleach product on a cream colored Trillium................
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #370

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Re: wringing rags, I still think the official Polyglo applicator (8" wide swath) is worth the price in ease of application, particularly midroof. You do have to use a rag (or the smaller faux chamois that comes with the applicator) to get into recesses and tight spots around the tongue and bumper and around thru-hulls, vents, and windows.

I joined the ranks of the Red Max Pros last June (3 coats after a good scrub with BF on a very "mossy" 12 yr. old egg) and so far no debonding, alligatoring, very few deep stains from leaves, tree blossoms and seeds, or insect activity, and certainly no embedding of grit or dirt. I have washed our trailer twice in the interim and it is an easier job than getting embedded dirt out of oxidized automotive paint. Plan on a thorough TSP scrubdown this spring and at least one refresher coat.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #371

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
BarKeepers Friend is the least abrasive of all commonly available cleanser powers. So much so that when the effectiveness of windshield wipers is tested, the windshields are first cleaned with it. Barkeepers Friend is non-abrasive, rinses off leaving no residues. It's the only cleanser powder recommended by almost all kitchenware and utensil manufacturers by name.

If you have squeaky windshield wipers or a problem with them smearing, you can use what's left of your BarKeepers Friend to clean your windshield!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #372

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
BarKeepers Friend is the least abrasive of all commonly available cleanser powers. So much so that when the effectiveness of windshield wipers is tested, the windshields are first cleaned with it. Barkeepers Friend is non-abrasive, rinses off leaving no residues. It's the only cleanser powder recommended by almost all kitchenware and utensil manufacturers by name.

If you have squeaky windshield wipers or a problem with them smearing, you can use what's left of your BarKeepers Friend to clean your windshield!
Great tip about the windshield! I'm gonna have to try it out!
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #373

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
So what's the best applicator for Redmax? Where to purchase? And after cleaning do you need to dry it off? Will water spots show up?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #374

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Microfiber cloth. $1 at the Dollar store. Dunk in RM3, wring it out a bit. Apply like you are dusting the trailer, 4 times at 30 min. intervals.. No need to do anything else to the trailer surface. Before the cloth dries rinse it (the cloth) out in water. Done.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #375

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
How hard Is it to keep it away from the window trim? I think I'm over thinking this.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #376

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
That may depend on the kind of trim. The black trim on the Hehr windows only looks better with the RM3, but if you want to be careful I'd mask them with that blue painter's tape.

I'm not that careful. In fact, if I could I might just put the RM# in a spray outfit and just spray the whole trailer, windows and all.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #377

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Brief note: Barkeepers Friend is Oxalic acid, described by a paint store employee to me as "wood bleach" which is born out by the wikipedia application section as a reference to the wood pulp industry.

Oxalic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consumers report rated it as better than Mr. Clean as reported in that article.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #378

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
32 year old Road Veteran

Here's the surface of my dolphin after 1 year elapsed since 3 coats of Red Max Pro were applied.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN7488.jpg   DSCN7491.jpg  

DSCN7516a.jpg  
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #379

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I can't see it... Or it's so shiny that I've been blinded by it!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #380

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
We need to figure out a treatment for the front lower panel, You can see that I tried to use a spray on rock guard, but it faded out in the sun. It also started to peel along the bottom. Formulating Plan "B"

Sorry, it took that long to load the pics.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow