Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #121

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is quite possible Randy, this is from one of their web-sites (they have more web sites too, depending on the market):
"Zep has a solid presence throughout America and in the international marketplace, reaching into every major city in North America, and countries around the world on five continents."

While we are on the topic of ZEP, I found this link:
Stella Blue - 2008 Haulout

That says they used the ZEP floor stripper and Bar Keepers Friend to remove the gel coat oxidation, I quote:

"I watched the wax bake onto my topsides.
It left a horrible buildup, that I'd
tried to remove for the last two years.
A wonderful woman on the next dock over
suggested that I use Zep Floor Wax stripper,
following the directions and
using really hot water.
It worked incredibly well, and also
chemically removed all the gelcoat oxidation.
It took two iterations of stripper,
scrubbing with a soft abrasive
and a white 3M scrub pad.
But it worked really well,
and my topsides look great again."
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #122

Thanks Kevin,

Well the floors really do need redoing at the office. Let's see now, I need some stripper, sealer and wax.

All the Zep literature says to use a Rayon mop.

A janitor gave me some good wax he uses in hospitals a few years back with his instructions to specifically damp mop with only cold water for 3 days after applying seems to help level and harden the wax. Maybe this might help too!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #123

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks Kevin,

Well the floors really do need redoing at the office. Let's see now, I need some stripper, sealer and wax.
Have you considered using Poliglow
Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #124

Not that I dug a little deeper into the closet and found some Zep Stripper, so I am 1/3 the way there.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #125

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
When using Red Max, have any of you had problems with dust getting onto the finish before it dryed? I think that I am going to do this to my 36 foot motorhome come spring and you guys are the experts on the topic. No place to get it inside that I can thing of that would not be dusty, so I will probably end up doing it outside.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #126

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Which RedMax product is being used, the sealer or the finisher? Lowes has both as well as the stripper. Should I buy all 3 items or use Barkeepers Friend and apply what? Thanks
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #127

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Which RedMax product is being used, the sealer or the finisher? Lowes has both as well as the stripper. Should I buy all 3 items or use Barkeepers Friend and apply what? Thanks
Red Max Pro Step 3
Item # 216595
Model #RMPLM128
Low Maintenance Floor Finish

The Barkeepers Friend is for washing and cleaning before applying the finish. You can find it in most any grocery store.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #128

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I wish I could help you but I'm in Alabama a little far from Canada, but did you ask at the new Lowe's if that could order it for you, I would think that they would but don't know that for sure...this is a hardwood refinisher, knowing that you might find that the Canada stores carry a different name brand...If they do I would suggest you try it on a small scale to see if it stands up...Hope this helps RANDY
Just came back from my local Lowes- I got a gallon each of #3 and #2 which according to directions #2 should be done as a sealer before #3- which is a finish. Now I have to wait til Sp[ring
Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just came back from my local Lowes- I got a gallon each of #3 and #2 which according to directions #2 should be done as a sealer before #3- which is a finish. Now I have to wait til Sp[ring
I don't think anyone has used #2. But I guess you can try it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #130

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
I was thinking of putting the sealer on the roof then apply the finish on the entire trailer
Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #131

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Sealer?

I don't know, but the term "sealer" sounds to me like it would be intended for a porous surface like a wood floor.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #132

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
I would not use the sealer because it WILL seal anything that is on the surface and is very hard to remove. Just use the finish
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #133

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
I checked with housekeeping at work and they use a product called Vortex. From his description and the limited info I found on their website, I'd say it's quite similar to Redmax/Zep. They strip, apply the sealer, then a few coats of the finish. They run a buffer over it every few months to bring back the shine. The floors are mostly some sort of vinyl tiles.

I'll be looking forward to next spring when all the test results start coming in...
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #134

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Poliglow vs Red Max Pro

There was a bunch of threads about these two products in mid-2010. I'm going to refinish my 1980 Scamp this spring. I purchased a gallon of Red Max Pro ($15 from Lowes), went back and reread the blogs, now I'm rethinking it again. Anyone not have good results from either product?

Last year I used Gel-Coat and Filon Color Restorer, then custom One-Step Clean Polish and Seal. I purchased it from a fiberglass boat restoration firm in Salem, OR. The owner showed me how to use it, it was easy to use, and did a fairly nice job of regaining the shine, but nothing like the photos of the two previously-mentioned products, and it cost $15 per 12oz squeeze bottle. Now that some time has passed, I'd like to hear from those who have tried either Red Max Pro or Poli-glow.
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #135

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have Poliglow on mine since 2009 with no problems and still looks GREAT.But Red Max Pro is a lot cheaper and might work as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	july 074.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	33243
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #136

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I have had RedMax on my trailer since June of 2010 and it still looks great, makes cleaning much easier than when I was using a carnuba marine wax and it was really easy to apply. Most of the work comes in the preparation. Anything left on the finish will be sealed in by the RedMax. My trailer is an 03 Casita and had some oxidation of the gel coat and I frankly just got weary of compounding and waxing the finish only to see it looking dull in a few months time. I applied 3 coats and the finish looks at least as good as Kevin's Scamp. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the RedMax...
Randy Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #137

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
I like many others am waiting for spring to hear how Red Max holds up over the long term.
I have wet sanded buffed and waxed to restore a chalky finish to a see your face mirror shine two years ago but it's a lot of work and this year I'll have to polish and wax again x2 to maintain.
If Red Max looks that good for a couple of years it may be less work in the long run. I guess the question of how easily it can be striped if/when needed is an important consideration - it sounds like it can't be much worse than an afternoon of multiple polish/waxing.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #138

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What I want to know, is how this stuff stands up to spending 12 months in sun/heat and rain/snow. Just about anything will look good if it's kept covered most of the time. To me it's all about UV rays. Floor wax that's made for indoor use isn't formulated for UV protection. I think only time and environment will tell. I'd use it, but I'm NOT interested in spending hours stripping the wax off my trailer with something that smells as bad as ammonia. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #139

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What I want to know, is how this stuff stands up to spending 12 months in sun/heat and rain/snow. Just about anything will look good if it's kept covered most of the time. To me it's all about UV rays. Floor wax that's made for indoor use isn't formulated for UV protection. I think only time and environment will tell. I'd use it, but I'm NOT interested in spending hours stripping the wax off my trailer with something that smells as bad as ammonia. YMMV
Hey, Donna:
I found this positve response re: Red Max Pro at :
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Red Max Pro floor finish

Lawrence
Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #140

Registry
This is even better...it cites some caveats on applying Red Max Pro. I will be a "Red Max Pro guinea pig" this Spring, and "time will tell."
Lawrence

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24431002.cfm

Tags
poliglow