Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 25 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #481

Name: lucille
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
Randy I am curious about the awning on your Trillium 4500 - was it retrofitted and if so where did you order it from?
Lucille
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #482

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Randy has put a few types on Lucille. See this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post268080
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #483

Trailer: Love Bug 1973 13 ft and Scamp 1984 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
Has anyone stripped the Red Max from their Egg? I used Red Max on my Scamp about 4yrs ago, it is starting to ware off in a few spots.
JNikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #484

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNikirk
Has anyone stripped the Red Max from their Egg? I used Red Max on my Scamp about 4yrs ago, it is starting to ware off in a few spots.
What? You only got 4 years out of the floor wax? Seriously, they also sell a Red Max stripper at the same store.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #485

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNikirk View Post
Sorry cant help you with the issue of getting it off but as you are one of the first here to have used the product for more than a couple of years would you be willing to tell us what you are seeing happen to it in the spots that are an issue? Is it just worn down or is it peeling?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #486

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I stripped off 3 years of poly glow. The polyglo stripper sort of worked, ammonia was Ok if it had not been touched with polyglo stripper, tried a buffer with medium cut polishing coumpound no good,finally went to red Max stripper full strength worked great. Scrubbed with poly ox which is just high price bar keepers friend rinsed well put 5 coats of red max on with poly glo applicator and finished with a coat of turtle wax to get the best shine. Keep in mind my VT is painted.
Stripped my brother inlaw's Scamp using the same process and took off a lot of oxidation. Took 5 + coats Red Max to get a shine I would have put a couple more on but that's me.
From this experience I would say the Poly glo sticks pretty tight.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #487

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Hi Joe,

Four years is the longest duration I've heard yet using this floor stuff on an egg. That sounds like a pretty good testimonial. Would it be possible to see pix of how is wore? It would also be great to have some context about the elements it was exposed to over this time and what kind of maintenance cleaning and care helped it go that long. If you can, that would be a super contribution!
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #488

The problem I am having is that I took my Scamp through a local car wash. There must have been some type of chemical remaining in the brush used by the previous customer. What ever it was, it left streaks in the finish. This is why I want to strip the old wax off and start all over. I live in the mountains No eastern WV where my egg is exposed to all types of weather. I am sold on Red Max it has held up better than I expected without peeling. There is a few worn spots but after 4yrs that can be expected.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #489

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
The problem I am having is that I took my Scamp through a local car wash. There must have been some type of chemical remaining in the brush used by the previous customer. What ever it was, it left streaks in the finish.
Earlier on in the thread, someone commented that the engine degreaser at the carwash had taken the Redmax Pro right off.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #490

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNikirk
The problem I am having is that I took my Scamp through a local car wash. There must have been some type of chemical remaining in the brush used by the previous customer. What ever it was, it left streaks in the finish. This is why I want to strip the old wax off and start all over. I live in the mountains No eastern WV where my egg is exposed to all types of weather. I am sold on Red Max it has held up better than I expected without peeling. There is a few worn spots but after 4yrs that can be expected.
Sorta why I stripped the Poly Glo, I used their cleaner as directed as I was going to add another coat as poly Glo reccomends each year, but as it ran down the side it seemed to clean better as it showed up as white streaks near bottom. As I worked my way down from the roof these areas would dry. Once dried nothing would touch it except concentrated red max stripper. Once I found it it was no big deal and the cost was about$9 / gal. I decided to use the Red max once I had it cleaned as I was about out of Poly Glo and new it would at least 4 coats starting from scratch.
Have Picts of the streaking but they don't show up too well.
Michael J.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #491

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Joe, I've stripped a localized area in the left hand window recess/reveal of our Burro trailer just forward of the window. Stripping was for the purpose of cosmetic repair to the surface. I used 12% ammonia; I was cautious about not allowing the solvent to run down the side of the trailer and had no markoff below the area removed.

I sprayed the bondo repair with a rattlecan primer and paint using soft masking (cardbd. mask raised above the surface except at the window frame). Matching color cast is a pain so after the paint cured for a week, I recoated the area with RMP which masks discrepancies of color and also surface texture. (Yes, Virginia, there is a slight amber or bronzy tint to RMP which can be put to use.)

If indeed ZEP and Red Max are the same material from the same manufacturer, then the proprietary stripper for ZEP should work to remove either one of these coatings assuming that the RMP is discontinued and no longer available.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #492

Thank Everyone: I hope to get started with the stripping this weekend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #493

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
stripping this weekend
I hope you mean the wax. ;-)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #494

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a question on applying ZEP Wet-Look... I think is the same as Red Max. I put on 2 coats last night & will be applying the last 2-3 coats on tonight. I see several long streaks from what I think was putting it on too thick on the roof. Will the streaks blend in/go away after applying the other coats or should I try getting them off before going further? Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #495

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
No they won't. I did mine with Red Max and as it was in the evening I had some runs that I had not noticed. They don't cover up - or come off easily. I have been searching for some was remover, so far it seems to not be available any more. Not quite sure what to do about the streaks.
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #496

Indiana
Registry
Use the Zep remover, i think it was $7.95/ gallon at Our Lowes here. It will strip it fast. You may be able to get by with some strong 12% ammonia. wear gloves for both. We had the same problem when we worked on my Brotherinlaws Scamp and just stripped that area and started over . my experience was that The runs seem to collect dirt over time and show up as dark areas. He wasn't as picky as I am so he still has a couple on the roof. You can't get in too big of a hurry and you need to spread it out thin and even and I think the polyglo applicator or synthetic chamois does the best job of that. It will take 4-5 coats
Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #497

Registry
shoot.. I was hoping someone would tell me it would look better after the last 2-3 coats.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #498

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
shoot.. I was hoping someone would tell me it would look better after the last 2-3 coats.
I think that I would hit the runs with some very fine wet sand paper on a flat sponge before stripping it, I think it will blend in ok. I just finished my Casita today and I used a face cloth folded 4 ways as an aplicator, it work well just keep ringing it out to eliminate the runs. my biggest problem was to keep from trapping any dirt beneath the RM by the way RM is a product of ZEP
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #499

Hi Folks: I just stripped the Red Max from my Scamp. It had been on for approx. 4 yr. I could not find the Red Max stripper so I used Zep floor stripper. I followed the directions on the label. It did a wonderful job and it was fairly easy. Once applied I scrubbed with a green pad and only had to do two small twice. Washed good with BK and reapplied 4 coats of Red Max. Looks great. Very pleased with Red Max and Zep products.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #500

Registry
ok.. I put on the 4th coat last night & it looks great! A few runs but thats ok.

So... do you think if I added just 1 more coat... would it make it even shinyerrrrr thanks

Thank you so much for the help with this! Especially Floyd!

Tags
poliglow