Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 46 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #901

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Angry Poliglow beautiful UNTIL you need to remove it

I have put about three coats of polyglot on my Trillium over the past three years. It looked great at first. But when it starts to peel, you're in trouble. I am having a dickens of a time trying to get the stuff off. I used their own stripper, diluted as per instruction and rinsing before dry. No luck. I then tried full strength -- it did no better than the diluted mixture. I then used Barkeepers friend with a Meguiars drill attachment, which began to cut it, but the results were spotty and runny. I tried acetone. Still streaky. Today I started using lacquer thinner and a scrub sponge and it may be doing the trick, We'll see. To replace it, I plan to use Meguiars all the way, first the compound material, then polish, then wax. This has been SO laborious. I would not recommend using it unless you happen to have a small army of professional detailers at hand.
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #902
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeno View Post
I have put about three coats of polyglot on my Trillium over the past three years. It looked great at first. But when it starts to peel, you're in trouble. I am having a dickens of a time trying to get the stuff off. I used their own stripper, diluted as per instruction and rinsing before dry. No luck. I then tried full strength -- it did no better than the diluted mixture. I then used Barkeepers friend with a Meguiars drill attachment, which began to cut it, but the results were spotty and runny. I tried acetone. Still streaky. Today I started using lacquer thinner and a scrub sponge and it may be doing the trick, We'll see. To replace it, I plan to use Meguiars all the way, first the compound material, then polish, then wax. This has been SO laborious. I would not recommend using it unless you happen to have a small army of professional detailers at hand.
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time . I’ve stripped mine every year for the past 5 years and I have never had a difficult time doing it It has never taken me more than a couple hours to strip the trailer myself using the stripper full strength with the help of a small power washer and some wet sand paper.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 AM   #903

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeno View Post
I am having a dickens of a time trying to get the stuff off. I used their own stripper, diluted as per instruction and rinsing before dry. No luck. I then tried full strength -- it did no better than the diluted mixture.
Colleen, pull up my post for using Zep. It takes me 4 hours to strip and put 5 coats of wax on my SD 17. You may be using the wrong sponge for the removal ?????
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #904

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've used the Zep stripper with excellent results. If you keep the trailer wet (here in the Pacific Northwest it's easy)like in a light rain on a cloudy day or very early AM and use a spray bottle of full strength remover and a scrub sponge. The trick is to spray the remover on an area and let it soak for 10 or so minutes to give the stripper chemical time do its job, then scrub and rinse. Acetone, Simple Green, and heavy duty commercial cleaners do not work.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #905

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Colleen, pull up my post for using Zep. It takes me 4 hours to strip and put 5 coats of wax on my SD 17. You may be using the wrong sponge for the removal ?????
Notice, Colleen says she used Poliglow... not Zep.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #906

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Notice, Colleen says she used Poliglow... not Zep.
Good catch Mike, I missed that.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #907
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Missed that to ,never used polyglow so don’t no the process to remove it ,sounds like it may be more difficult to remove.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #908

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I thought Zep and Polyglow were the same? Sorry if I misled someone.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #909

Trailer: U-Haul VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I thought Zep and Polyglow were the same? Sorry if I misled someone.

Actually they are chemically very similar both contain the same thing.
Poli Glow May have a UV inhibitor. I have used both and the Zep stripper works on Poliglow just as well as Zep. As stated previously start at top full strength keeping the flush water going and work your way down. A spray bottle and green nylon scrubber worked well for me.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #910

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We used Zep stripper and wax on our oxidized 2003 Bigfoot with great results.

In May, I bought Meguiar's cleaner, polisher (didn't need), and their Ultimate Paste wax on our Escapes roof and part of one side and was not impressed. It seems to have it's own cult following. Even after buffing and days of 90 degree heat the wax never hardened. Besides it's just too much work. Meguiar's is just planned to need frequent application, selling the product to those who love waxing, requiring frequent purchasing of a quickly faded product.

If it stops raining I'll be cleaning our 2018 Escape 5.0 with Zep cleaner and then applying Zep floor wax. Some people need to get out of their box.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #911

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I used polyglow, It looked great than the patchy flaking appeared. I stripped it with Zep stripper, it was a gooey mess. The stripper removed black touch up paint I had applied to the factory painted window frames. When the stripper ran down into the belly band it stained the vinyl insert; looked mottled in color, streaked all around the belly band. I removed the insert, bought a new 25'-30' piece, on the web.
I will not use Polyglow or Zep again. I used Maguires it looks just ok, nothing special.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #912
VBK

Name: Kay
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We used Zep stripper and wax on our oxidized 2003 Bigfoot with great results.

Some people need to get out of their box.

Enjoy,

Perry
Hi ! We used Hull Kleener to get all the lichen and tree sap off our, new to us, 2001 Scamp 13...sure am glad it wasnt any larger !! Anyhow..the Hull Kleener, recommeded by Scamp and a number of Scamp owners, removed the oxidation and crud. Now, am searching for a wax. I don't mind waxing...and dont have a buffer...ADDITIONAL info....a local auto parts store recommended Lucas Polish ... well....it might work on surfaces with a clear coat...but definately a waste of time and $$ on a clean oxidized surface. It did, we think, make it feel smoother...but no shine at all. SO, I am going to read the label on a jug of stuff Ron got for our motorhome, and never used...see what the label sez . Thankyou for the feedback !
VBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #913

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
I used polyglow, It looked great than the patchy flaking appeared. I stripped it with Zep stripper, it was a gooey mess. The stripper removed black touch up paint I had applied to the factory painted window frames. When the stripper ran down into the belly band it stained the vinyl insert; looked mottled in color, streaked all around the belly band. I removed the insert, bought a new 25'-30' piece, on the web.
I will not use Polyglow or Zep again. I used Maguires it looks just ok, nothing special.

Later Kenny
You're not to use the stripper so it runs down. Did you use a sprayer? It's a stripper and should only be applied to the gelcoat! Having stripped furniture in the past I know how caustic stripper can be.

The stripper should be applied to a rag/sponge/mitt and then wiped on. I used a mitt. It didn't take much stripper to strip our 14 year old Bigfoot with massive oxidation. Again, you only apply the stripper to the gelcoat you wish to de-oxidize. I washed the stripper off with LOTS AND LOTS of water and then immediately dried with a towel. Don't strip on a hot day. I started in the morning at about 65 F on a partly cloudy day and waxed in 75-80 F temps in the afternoon.

I understand sometimes you need to strip it more than once to get the oxidation off.
Patience grasshopper.

Because we're doing this before the Escape oxidizes I doubt we'll ever need stripper.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #914

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Perry Thanks for info.
I just used a pail and a sponge. I let it run down the sides onto the window frames I was very careless, I was using it like a bucket of soapy wash water.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #915

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A lot of the recent comments are about Poliglow. It can be confusing. Randy started this thread to detail his experience with Zep.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 AM   #916

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Poliglow and Zep--DO NOT USE

Just my opinion on Poliglow and Zep--DO NOT USE.
I tried both and they look like crap after a few years.
I use a good wax now with better results.
JUST MY OPINION.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #917

Registry
I think part of it is how the trailer is stored when not in use. My Trillium goes in the garage so it is well protected from sun and weather. I do need to strip mine due to the beating the finish took when I redid belly band. It would be interesting to hear Randy’s experience given he has several, all sitting outside.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #918
VBK

Name: Kay
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Just my opinion on Poliglow and Zep--DO NOT USE.
I tried both and they look like crap after a few years.
I use a good wax now with better results.
JUST MY OPINION.
Kevin...what was are you using? Forgive me if I missed where you told us the brand name....thankyou
K
VBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #919

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Anyone filimiar with, or use this product ? A bit pricey but "once and done" seems well worth the price and effort.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/diamondfinish-clear.html
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #920

Registry
Their website looks like an infomercial. Waiting for Phil Swift or Vince Offer (Mr Shamwow) to pop up.

Tags
poliglow