Checklist 7.0 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Wow, Frederick, you are really a detail person! I taped my laminated checklists for the interior "stuff" to the inside of one of the cabinet doors. We've never done an exterior checklist though. Thanks for sharing your very comprehensive lists!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The roaring of our Boler's main water heater burner (American Appliance, now called Suburban, 6-gallon) would be annoying; I think it should be turned to pilot overnight. The pilot flame is quiet and will still keep it from completely cooling down.

Our water pump cycles occasionally, too, so I turn it off anytime we are not using it (not just at night). In our case, I don't think it is leakage at the city water connection; rather, it think it is seepage back past the pump itself.

Building on Byron's comments... I think these particular on-off tasks are worth discussing, to find the optimal procedure, but not worthy of another day/night checklist, at least for me. Personally, I'm not using any kind of written checklist yet, although Frederick's lists should be a good start.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I tend to shut off the Water Pump at night. It randomly activates, I believe, due to pressure "leakage" at the City Water connection. I compare IT's sound to a Semi Tractor's Jake Brake!
There was someone at Lake San Antonio that had a water pump that sounded like a Washington State Ferry horn!

Mine sounds like a Jake Brake when in use, but it doesn't suffer from random pressurizing. When I am in the shower, I am tempted to stuff a Beagle in there to muffle it...

The Beagle objected tho..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #24

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
A temporary fix for the leaking city water check valve is to put a PVC pipe plug in the hose connection. It worked so well I keep one in there permanently. This keeps the water system pressurized and the pump won't cycle when it's not needed.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
That's a very complete check list(s).

I wonder how many would follow such an extensive list?

[b]1. What's the purpose of your check list?
The items are selected that would cause some not very nice things to happen if forgotten.
These lists are not for me alone.
I [b]do use them myself to jog my memory...
  • Memory of opening the trailer door after a long drive to find an entire (new) roll of paper towels unrolled and carpeting the kitchen floor 3" deep.
  • Memory of stopping for gas/potty break and discovering an open gaping hole where there used to be a large exterior hatch/trunk cover.
  • Memory of frying a new battery completly dry.
  • Memory of finding the water pump running dry while at a full hook-up campsite.
  • Memory of stopping for gas/potty break and finding the trailer door swinging wide open.
No, they are also for those who insist on helping because it takes [b]me SO LONG to get everything ready by myself while they are chomping at the bit to get started camping. These people usually want consistancy. They also want to understand what they are doing, but don't want to listen to me explain it to them.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
These lists are not for me alone.
I [b]do use them myself to jog my memory...
  • Memory of opening the trailer door after a long drive to find an entire (new) roll of paper towels unrolled and carpeting the kitchen floor 3" deep.
  • Memory of stopping for gas/potty break and discovering an open gaping hole where there used to be a large exterior hatch/trunk cover.
  • Memory of frying a new battery completly dry.
  • Memory of finding the water pump running dry while at a full hook-up campsite.
  • Memory of stopping for gas/potty break and finding the trailer door swinging wide open.
No, they are also for those who insist on helping because it takes [b]me SO LONG to get everything ready by myself while they are chomping at the bit to get started camping. These people usually want consistancy. They also want to understand what they are doing, but don't want to listen to me explain it to them.
If it works for that's great.
I worked in manufacturering where work instructions, which are usually check lists, were used pretty extensively. Experience there taught me, and others, the fewer words the more likely it would be followed. I would almost be willing to bet you don't read every word on those lists. Different story when you have somebody helping, I insist on checking my list myself. Keeps peace in the family. I can't blame my other half when something goes wrong.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Without further adieu, My 6 part checklist:
Frederick, I love your lists, and wanted to thank you for posting them. My partner is never going to be as familiar with our camper's needs as me, and lists will help keep the peace when we're doing the set-up and break-down together. I grew up camping in a pop-up, but my recently purchased 1985 Uhaul is the first time I've been in charge of all the important stuff, and not just making beds or gathering kindling! I'm going to write up a few notes & see how it goes. Thanks again.
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1981
Quote:
My lists are are long and redundant, but being retired and on the verge of Alzheimer's taking over (I can hide my own Easter eggs because I can't remember where I hid them), the major item when going camping is writen on the tugs rear view mirror, "BRING TRAILER WHEN LEAVING FOR HOME."
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklists