Cleaning & Waxing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just bought a 1985 Scamp 5th wheel. Could somebody tell me the best product to use

to clean it with? I would like to remove all the oxidation. Also is there a better seal

that I could use than wax? Something that would last longer.

Thank You,

Terry
Terry McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Hi Terry, I wonder where everyone is? Someone with experience will come along soon. My Love Bug did not need to be cleaned and waxed, it needed many hours of sanding to get the house paint off of it, two coats of latex put on with a roller.

I hope someone can give you some good advice soon. I can tell you how to use a random orbital sander and progressively finer sandpaper but I hope you don't need it.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Could somebody tell me the best product to use to clean it with? I would like to remove all the oxidation.

Also is there a better seal that I could use than wax? [b]Something that would last longer.
From what I read, old fashioned wax, after cleaning, is the way to go.
Here is one of the results of my search: waxing
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Terry! Best? That's subjective, but the BEST product is the one that gets used. Lots of members like Mequires Flagship, others Gel Gloss, even others Nu-Finish. etc., etc., etc. Because your trailer is a 1985 and likely has a caulky gel coat it's important to remember the chances of bringing back the finish to "like new" is slim. The oxidation on the gel coat is not the same as an oxidized paint on a car. If really shiny is important to you, you may wish to consider paint. Althought Brenda did post a pic, that shows a shiny trailer here: Gelcoat Rejuvinator - Vertglas. Actually I like the satiny patina look and am perfectly happy with it on my trailer. A good coat of wax just makes it easier to keep clean and washing is a breeze.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot
Depending on the state of the gelcoat,you can use a fiberglass restorer, Dupont has one , and West Marine sells their brand, which is what I prefer for my plastic toys.A rotary buffer will cut the dullnes quicker.after you apply the wax apply a UV blocker, and you will be good for a year.
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
By September, year 2005 when I got it, My 1981 Burro's gelcoat was quite beaten down. Oxidation, tree slime, you name it. I thought new paint was my only option, but then took a chance with a gelcoat clean and restore 3-part system sold to the fiberglass boat trade. Vertglas is the name. Not cheap stuff, but I got my money's worth, with interest.
<blockquote>www.lovettmarine.com/files/vertglas.asp</blockquote>
Burro came with large vinyl decals attached to its sides. Decals were also suffering from the evil one, Father Time, but I didn't like them regardless. So I removed them. The picture here reveals the original gelcoat in its prime, and the rest of the gelcoat after I cleaned it up, but before I applied the final gloss (step #3). A very easy process. Them big boat owners got something here. Job's not finished, but weather is warming up so I should be back on it soon, and for sure will post more pictures.

Fiberglass being bigtime business, likely there are similar products out there. But I got no reason to search further. I will wax it for UV protection.
Attached Thumbnails
remove01.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:

Hi Terry, I wonder where everyone is? Someone with experience will come along soon. My Love Bug did not need to be cleaned and waxed, it needed many hours of sanding to get the house paint off of it, two coats of latex put on with a roller.

I hope someone can give you some good advice soon. I can tell you how to use a random orbital sander and progressively finer sandpaper but I hope you don't need it.

Thanks,

I know mine was not painted.

Terry
Old 03-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi Terry! Best? That's subjective, but the BEST product is the one that gets used. Lots of members like Mequires Flagship, others Gel Gloss, even others Nu-Finish. etc., etc., etc. Because your trailer is a 1985 and likely has a caulky gel coat it's important to remember the chances of bringing back the finish to "like new" is slim. The oxidation on the gel coat is not the same as an oxidized paint on a car. If really shiny is important to you, you may wish to consider paint. Althought Brenda did post a pic, that shows a shiny trailer here: Gelcoat Rejuvinator - Vertglas. Actually I like the satiny patina look and am perfectly happy with it on my trailer. A good coat of wax just makes it easier to keep clean and washing is a breeze.

Thank You,

I do not think it is that bad that it will need need paint. I will proably go with a product made for boats.

Terry
Old 03-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
By September, year 2005 when I got it, My 1981 Burro's gelcoat was quite beaten down. Oxidation, tree slime, you name it. I thought new paint was my only option, but then took a chance with a gelcoat clean and restore 3-part system sold to the fiberglass boat trade. Vertglas is the name. Not cheap stuff, but I got my money's worth, with interest.
<blockquote>www.lovettmarine.com/files/vertglas.asp</blockquote>
Burro came with large vinyl decals attached to its sides. Decals were also suffering from the evil one, Father Time, but I didn't like them regardless. So I removed them. The picture here reveals the original gelcoat in its prime, and the rest of the gelcoat after I cleaned it up, but before I applied the final gloss (step #3). A very easy process. Them big boat owners got something here. Job's not finished, but weather is warming up so I should be back on it soon, and for sure will post more pictures.

Fiberglass being bigtime business, likely there are similar products out there. But I got no reason to search further. I will wax it for UV protection.
Thank you,
I checked the site. how many kits do you think i will need for 19ft scamp.

could i get away with just one?

Terry
Old 03-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #10

New Mexico
Registry
Probably. Kit consists of three 16 oz. bottles each of their oxidation remover, boat wash, and Restorer/sealant, plus applicators. I did not need more than that for my 13 foot Burro, with the exception of bottle number 3, the Restore/sealant. You can buy individual bottles separately, as required. I needed to because the more of it you use, the deeper and more uniform the shine. My Burro was so dull the initial 16 oz of #3 lasted only half the egg.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #11

New Mexico
Registry
For your "What it's Worth" Department:

The Spring edition of BoatWorks ("The must-have magazine for the hands-on sailor") just caught my eye in the magazine section of the supermarket. This issue does a "Group Test: Fiberglass Restorers." Turn to page 73 and the article is titled "Boat wax and polish" ...and the author waxes on-and-off about eight different products, all waxes.

A few conclusions by the author:
<blockquote>* Gelcoat is low maintenance but not maintenance free. Thorough waxing or polishing should be done at least once a year.
* Fresh wax will help remove surface oxidants and add a layer of protection and make your boat sail faster.
* Tests were for ease of use and quality of finish.
* West Marine One Step Fiberglass Cleaner Wax got their highest recommendation. They said it produced an incredibly high-gloss finish, was easy to apply and buff off, costs $11.99 for 16 ounces, and isn't even West Marine's premium polish.
* They liked Star brite Presoftrened Boat Wax least of all because it was too hard to work with unless using an electric buffer.</blockquote>