Cleaning Black Mold Spots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Cleaning Black Mold Spots

Hello

I may have found something to (relatively) easily clean the black spots that come from artillery fungus on our campers.

Fast Orange hand cleaner. Fast Orange Brand

I've tested it on a small area of my 2000 Scamp, and the initial results look promising.

Does anyone else have experience using Fast Orange to clean their camper? Might there be any long-term issues using this product to clean the outside of my Scamp?

Thanks!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #2

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Yuk! I'm curious about this too, as we're just noticing some nasty black spots blooming on part of our belly band.

Your post makes me wonder about the orange cleaner from the Dollar store. No kidding... it's very good stuff. I've used it for my other hobby/passion, restoring vintage sewing machines... and it does NOT harm the finish of the metal machines (NOT the black antique ones with decals... don't ever use a "cleaner" on those finishes), but takes all kinds of gook and grease and dirt and nastiness off very nicely. Leaving a nice shine.

The mid-century machines have a finish just like auto paint, and it can be damaged by the wrong stuff. Many of them have (yuk) decades of *nicotine* caked all over them and it's very hard to remove. This cleaner just melts the nicotine away.

I'm going to try it on the belly band tomorrow... will report back. In the meantime, does anyone know why this fungus stuff turns up, and returns?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use a bleach / water spray. Sometimes do it twice and the final wash some of that wash and wax soap that is used on cars. Works for me.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

I gotta think that a bleach and water mix would not be good for my lawn where I park my Scamp.

--Dan Meyer
Old 09-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #5

CA
There is long list of solutions to the artillery fungus problem here:

Reader's Suggestions for Removal From Houses — Artillery Fungus — Penn State Extension

The most interesting (and apparently successful) of these involves mouthwash and toothpaste.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 AM   #6

CA
Here's another good collection of solutions. The first half of the post is FAQ. After that is around 50 good ideas. The Magic Eraser seems to be a popular tool.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/d/d/ddd2/
Old 09-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Might want to try Concrobium mold stain eraser. At homey d. Works very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Status Update

I've pretty much gone over most of the outside of my Scamp with the Fast Orange product. I even decided to use my random orbit buffer polisher which made the job a lot easier. The trailer is looking a *lot* better, but needs more TLC cleaning the difficult to reach areas. Once the cleaning step is complete, I'll try to restore some semblance of shine to my 15 year old trailer with a good waxing. Whether or not this work is completed before winter remains to be seen.

--Dan Meyer