cleaning carpets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
When the weather gets nicer I would like to clean the carpet. I really dont want to use a reg carpet cleaner machine that uses water, the foams seem to attract more dirt, soooo?
I know Resolve makes a granular damp cleaner that you scrub in , let it sit for awhile on the rug..then vaccumn up.... What have you guys used to clean your carpets?
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
I had a professional carpet cleaning company to steam clean my 97 17ft Casita wall and ceiling carpet. They charged me $50 and it took them about 45 minutes. I called Jay at Casita and asked his opinion beforehand. He said the glue that holds the carpet is high temperature and the steam cleaning wouldn't cause any problems.

Doug Hounshell
Kanab, Utan
Official Home of the "Natural Family"
Doug Hounshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I doubt that it's possible to get carpet really clean without adding a significant amount of water, but it's important to suck it back out before more gets soaked than you want. In my past carpet cleaning experiences (at home or in cars - our Boler has no carpet) I found that a surprising amount of vacuuming is needed to get the dirty water out - one pass certainly won't do it.

"Steam" cleaning is normally spraying hot water, possibly scrubbing with some kind of power brush, and vacuuming. That's what the rental machines and most home machines do. I'm not sure I would really use steam on a carpet.

If leaving residue is a concern, then why not do a final pass with just hot water in the machine?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Brian. yep.. if you dont vaccum well or get the soap residue out it just get dirtier.... I will eventually get some leno to put in but it will be a while.. In the mean time I do have a nice big rug over the isle part for now.... I will be getting in cleaned however this summer sometime.... I will call Scamp and ask about the steam cleaning and have it professional done like Doug did... its not that I cant live with it the way it is now.. its not that bad but a good shampoo sure wont hurt..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
Brian. yep.. if you dont vaccum well or get the soap residue out it just get dirtier
I spot clean with some 409, Mean Green, or diluted Castrol Super Clean (Gallon at Walmart Auto Dept. $6) and then use my upholstery steamer with clear water. I do the same thing in the house. It stays clean a lot longer.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote