cleaning foam under cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: darryl
Trailer: 1974Ventura
B.C.
cleaning foam under cushions

gearing up for the season,& washing cushion covers,wondering best way to ensure foam is clean too.what to do/use??suggestions........
1974ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Depends on how old the foam is, and what it's made of. If its pretty new you should be able to use a damp rag with some cleaner to give it a wipe, automotive upholstery cleaning foam should work well as it is made for this.

If the foam is older, worn, drying out or heavily soiled, you would be better off going to an upholstery shop or fabric shop and replacing it with new foam.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Take foam out of cushion.
Put in bath tub with some soap and water and walk on it.
When clean rinse.
Let dry.
Wrap foam in dry cleaner bag.
Use Vac to collapse foam.
Watch video
Put back into cushion.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Sue
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Take foam out of cushion.
Put in bath tub with some soap and water and walk on it.
When clean rinse.
Let dry.
Wrap foam in dry cleaner bag.
Use Vac to collapse foam.
Watch video
Put back into cushion.
Hey, that was cool! Hadn't seen that one before!
Seasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
On boats, I wrap foam in plastic to keep it dry--taping all the seams. Of course it needs to be clean and dry first.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
For what it's worth, when I took the cushions for my '84 scamp in to the upholstery shop, I told them I wanted new foam. The guy pulled a cover off, and said "no you don't, this is excellent foam. My stuff isn't any better. We'll steam clean it, and the collapsed cells puff right up."

He had quoted me $4-500 for foam right before he looked at it, so I was pretty happy he was honest.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I washed a set once using the bath tub, tooooooooo messy! I washed a set once outside with a hose and a bucket of soapy water (probably worked better).

But the best way I ever found was to put a cushion or two (depending on size) in my front loading washing machine on delicate! Washed, rinsed spun out all the water. Drying time was cut in half if not more! You have to have a large front loader.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you wash them & cant put them out to dry in the hot sun you need to make sure that you put some fans or something on them to help dry them out - they may take awhile to completely dry. If they arent completely dry when you put the covers back on them you could end up with a mold issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you wash them & cant put them out to dry in the hot sun you need to make sure that you put some fans or something on them to help dry them out - they may take awhile to completely dry. If they arent completely dry when you put the covers back on them you could end up with a mold issue.

Good advise but I'd go a step further. I had mine set on end with fans and a warm room for 48 hrs. They appeared dry. My cushion are original (I think) and are extremely dense foam. I laid them flat on a towel with another towel on top and stood/walked on them. I got just enough moisture to make the towels wet. Repeated until thoroughly dry and then set on end again.

I may have mentioned already but rinsing is key. Any left over detergent may be media for mould or bacteria growth. Rinse with a hose or removable shower head.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote