Cleaning "new to me" Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Cleaning "new to me" Casita

Hi...since someone on this site said the only dumb question is that which goes unasked...

I'm picking up my 99 SD tomorrow and bringing it home!

There are a couple "cleaning" questions I have...the camper has been closed up for quite a while.

Exterior...I plan to hose it down, although it looks to be pretty clean. I did notice some mildew stains on the awning. What's the best to use to clean the awning? Both bottom side and top? I'd scrub it down real good and leave it out to dry well. But I wasn't sure what type cleaner to use and what to scrub it with?

Interior/Sink/Plumbing...there was a slight smell from the grey water tank when we first got there to look at it. Smelled it, especially, when we took the cover off the sink. Apparently the water in the trap evap'd. When I put water back in the sink that put water in the trap and the smell subsided dramatically. The question...I assume there's some kind of treatment that I can put into the gray water tank to make it not so ripe? The unit sat unused for 9 months. Any recommendations? I'll want to run water through...and dump it.

Interior Cleaning....If I wanted to clean the carpet on the walls/ceiling, how would I do that? They don't appear to be dirty or smelly, but the camper is 13 years old and I'd think there would have to be dust in it. I'd just like to make things as clean as possible! And....anything to do with the cushions? Again, appear to be clean and unstained....

Thanks! I appreciate any help or comments offered!

I can't wait to get the camper home, where I can really start to learn it!

Tom Gerth
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: GerthT... I used Fantastic w/bleach to clean the awning on our 5.0 before going to Townsend Tenn. A Mr. Clean eraser helps if the vinyl is really bad.
We use a combo of Dishwasher detergent(Cascade) and Calgon in the Black& Grey water tanks. Google "The Geo Method". The Cascade has bleach in it plus it's low sudsing too. 1/2 cup ea. to a half gal. of hot water down the drain and toilet. Put it in before you tow so it sloshes around during the trip. Beats shaking the trailer!!! LoL If you carry the Calgon you can also use it at the campground laundry as well.
Rent a shampooer at the grocery store or better yet get someone in to steam clean the interior.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Hi Tom, Congrats on your new to you trailer. I think Al's idea of steam is good but I would be very careful using it as it may loosen the fabric from the walls/ceiling. The carpet on the floor should be no problem or fiberglass cabinets. You could probably use steam on the outside too. And yes the Geo method seems to work just fine.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerthT View Post
I'm picking up my 99 SD tomorrow and bringing it home!

Congrat's!

I did notice some mildew stains on the awning.

I know that a lot of people have used, Spic and Span on awnings. I remember reading that you can purchase it at the dollar store. The liquid form, not powder.

Interior/Sink/Plumbing... Any recommendations? I'll want to run water through...and dump it

Totally agree and use the Geo method, Alf suggested for everyday camping. It's great! Haven't had an issue useing this method for years even back to when we had a Class A.

But I would suggest filling your tanks, both grey and black with water and bleach first. Let them soak for a good part of the day, driving to slosh does help to get them cleaned. Then dump them. Just to start out fresh!

Then the geo method for your camping needs! I have even just used, plain old Calgon in my black tank. Mostly when I am sitting still camping and dumping before heading out of a campground. It works just fine.

Interior Cleaning....If I wanted to clean the carpet on the walls/ceiling, how would I do that? They don't appear to be dirty or smelly, but the camper is 13 years old and I'd think there would have to be dust in it.

I have used a carpet cleaner with the upholsery attachment several times for cleaning the walls and ceiling of a couple of Casitas. Works fine. Just be sure not to have them soaking wet. Dry it out well! Fan's, fan's, fan's!

I'd just like to make things as clean as possible!

And....anything to do with the cushions? Again, appear to be clean and unstained....

Depending on how dirty the cushions are, you most likely could just use the carpet cleaner with the attachment to clean. If you find they need more of a cleaning, I have taken off the cushion cover, hand washed, line dry and if the foam is dirty, I have put it in the washing machine on gentle. Front loading machine! Let air dry!!!!!!!!! Then you have the pleasure of putting the foam back into the cushion cover, it can be a chore but I ran across a great idea for doing so with pictures, so if you are gonna have to do a major cleaning let me know and I will post the directions for putting the foam back into the covers. It was such a cleaver idea and a oh duh moment! I have intended to post it for other's and just haven't gotten around to it.

I can't wait to get the camper home, where I can really start to learn it!

Tom Gerth

Again, Congrat's! Enjoy it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Name: John J.
Trailer: 13' Scamp / 34' Sunnybrook Titan
Virginia
Hello Gerth, have read posts and all have their merits. My 2 cents. Since one of the things I use to do was clean houses, trailers, office buildings sidewalks, etc. I'll give you a simple formula for cleaning the exterior of your FG trailer, your house etc. the formula is different for painted mobil homes (needs to be much weaker as Clorox will remove the paint at these strengths.). For your Trailer Take 5 to 8 parts Water to one part Clorox Brand Bleach.(start at 7 quarts of water and 1 quart of bleach) 7 - 1 ratio. makes 2 gallons) (about 5% while off brands are weaker) The bleach kills the mildew. Then add more soap than you would do if doing dishes *its the surfactant in the soap that the dirt adhere to and is what cleans. Recommended soap: powdered Tide, or Dawn Dish detergent. In fifteen gallons of Cleaning solution I used to use two cups of tide. Using a 3 gallon sprayer works great. Always work from the bottom up, always. I usually mix up a a little better than a quart of bleach in about three gallons of water with plenty of soap in a 5 gallon bucket and use a long handle brush while cleaning the Scamp. Tip: If you have an old pair of Navy Blue slacks, wear them while doing this job. The bleach won't affect them. (use to wear my Sansabelt slacks and my customers always said you sure do look nice) Then any old white shirt will do. After you wet down the surface, (easier with a sprayer) keep it wet for 15 minutes and let the chemicals do the work. Then you can scrub off, top down with plain water from your hose, you may need some help from your scrub brush. WalLaaah, it looks like new. Chemical shouldn't harm grass as you are diluting it quite a bit washing it down. john
John J. Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Got it home. It's AWESOME. I feel like I made a good investment, financially, but also from a lifestyle standpoint. Alfred, I stopped by Walmart and cooked up some Geo Method "tea" for the ride home. I'll take everyone else's recommendations to heart over the next 2 weeks as I ready it for it's maiden voyage. Probably to Cheraw State Park, in Cheraw, SC. Thanks again, everyone, for the input.
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Tom, One thing I forgot to mention is about the cushions. We used woolite & water to clean our cushions on a nice sunny day. Then we take them out on the deck to air dry. Works great, and we do it with the material on the foam. Don't take it off or it will be very hard to get the foam back into the material without the use of plastic bags.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We clean the carpet on the walls of our 99 SD every once in a while but instead of renting we went to wally world and bought a little green carpet cleaner by Bissell. buying it was cheaper than renting and this little bugger does a great job. we rented the first time so we've been there.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Congratulations on the new to you trailer Gerth. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

John - thanks for the details re cleaning a FB trailer. We will be trying your recipe.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #10

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Casita Spirit DL 2007
Oregon
I also just bought a Casita and the awning can be cleaned or sprayed as many times as necessary with diluted Oxiclean. The was a suggestion from a forum. Give it a try can't hurt anything...spray both sides and leave it on and respray as necessary. Good luck! Scrappinpat
scrappinpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #11

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
With the cleaning solution, why do you work from the bottom up? So glad someone asked about cleaning!
E
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anytime you wash walls... even in your sticks 'n bricks home... you wash from the bottom up.

Begin at the bottom of the wall and work your way up…those drips of water running from the top will leave streaks in a dirty wall surface that will be devilishly difficult to remove later!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita