Cleaning up an old Boler - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myderby View Post
I understand the scotch-brite scouring pads and the BarKeepers Friend as I am in the food industry! What Zep product did you use and what were the steps of the process using Zep? I have a Scamp 19' and the gel-coat is chalky and needs attention. You did a great job, if I could get close to the same results I would be a happy camper.
If the gel coat is chalky pick yourself up a polisher with a wool bonnet and a bottle of 3M Marine Restore and Wax. You will not be sorry
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #42

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Can't see that hanging the spare off the fiberglass is a good idea no matter how you do it !!! If the bumper is in that bad a shape maybe it needs attention !!!
I should add mine sits on the bumper as well as tight to the rear wall.

Given the issues with your bumper, it is worth it to get underneath and inspect the frame.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #43

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Texas
John,

Thank you for the information, I have looked at a lot of the 54 pages of post regarding Zep products. This looks like the easiest solution to my problem as I am reluctant to pant the Scamp 19' fifth wheel. This looks like it will give me the results that I can live with and a lot less money than a two stage paint process.

Ken
Myderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #44

Name: Pamelia
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
I'm with you on this one! That was the first thing I was impressed with.
Pamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #45

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Looks like someone didn't put stop nuts on the spare holder ..what it needed was a second set of nuts on the bolts to serve as a stop to keep the bolts from pulling through if someone tighten the nuts to tight drawing the bolts through the fiberglass. I can't really tell from the photo's how bad it is but you might be able to put them on now and it be OK..Also a spare rack mounted on the bumper as you mention would work..As far as trying to repair the damage I would probably try to seal the cracks and leave it along, because anything else would require a paint job to cover the repairs.......Theres a product that some people on here has used called Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Repair.... I personally have not used it but maybe someone else can chime in that has used it and tell how it may have worked for them.....It should help on any stress cracks you may have also..If after a good scrubbing there's still a faded look to it you might try sanding it down with 400 grit sandpaper.One of my trilliums was faded pretty bad and that worked great for me I used a electric palm sander and went over the entire camper turned out great, just make sure the gelcoat doesn't have any thin places in it where you might sand down through it and expose the fiberglass underneath..The gelcoat on most of these is fairly thick enough to take a little sanding just be careful..How big are those tail lights, I've got a set of round LED's I bought once to put on a Burro I once owned but they didn't work out.. If I can find them and if they will fit they are yours since your doing this as a favor for the folks...I'll dig around tomorrow and see if I can locate them and see what size they are.... The best that I can remember they were around 5" or 6" but can't remember for sure....GOOD LUCK WITH THE CAMPER RANDY...
Princess Auto in Canada has all the perfect lights for the Boler's and if you ask them they'll let you know when they're on sale 50% off! All LED
Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #46

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
Get away from there quickly. I can tell the addiction is taking hold already. If you find yourself searching parking lots for used eggs or searching the local classifieds get some counseling immediately. There is no known cure for this addiction and you will end up sending the rest of your days repairing Bolers.

This advice is from someone who has seen it first hand.
I just got my cute egg last fall and I don't think it's quite an addiction, BUT ... I do need to find out how to clean it up, rejig some of the inside, put on new axle, and then maybe, in a couple of years, take it ALL apart. A project for my retirement, and learning! I'm not in the least bit mechanical! It looks beautiful, and you're having fun.
Pamelia

Tags
boler