Coming Out Of Hibernation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Smile Coming Out Of Hibernation

Woohoo took the cover off the Scamp this week. Lots of questions now..I bought this last Sept. didn't look at it much just felt gd deal. Now that I can see(had to have both eyes surgery). Have a few questions. 1. Are the front & back windows always plastic? The underside do you paint? My axle is covered with heavy metal is that common? I don't have grey or black water tanks is it worth installing? Is it worth installing fantastic fan? I have an air condition
At the door was that original ? I took out microwave not something I would use! The front door doesn't seal just right are there fixes for that. Will be taking to shop in a couple weeks. Whew! Hope I did not overload anyone!
Thank you!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I can answer the Fantastic fan question... YES!! That was probably one of the best things I have done to our Scamp 13 since I bought it. We like how it can blow out or in. At night when it's warm we like to have it blow out & then open the window near our heads about an inch & that let's a nice breeze come in during the night.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI Anita. Yes the front window has almost always been plexiglass. There's a few 1970s models that had a flip up glass window, but too many leak issues so Scamp went to the one piece plexiglass. The back window has been one piece plexi OR sliding glass OR jalousie, depending on age of trailer and shape of the back end.

Tanks depend on your style of camping. I have both and am glad I do. Dumping tanks isn't problematic. BTW: someplaces won't let you camp unless you have tank(s), so there again it depends on your needs.

I'll let others chime in now. Welcome back!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Anita if you posted some photos of your axle it may help give people an idea as to how much is to much. If its only surface rust its not a problem but if its more than that then it may be a problem. The AC in the bottom of the closet is how Scamp originally installed them. Adding a Fantastic Fan is/was one of the best changes I have done with my trailer.

If you also post photos of your door people may have ideas for you. Sometimes its simple a matter of buying new hinge parts from Scamp as the ball on the hinge wears out and putting new foam around the door.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Colorado
Thank you both..I know I have quite a few things to do to get it road ready and it sure helps knowing what other's have done an experienced! So is it more cost effective to order parts from Scamp? The Fantastic Fan is ideal I agree had one in my Lance Camper and loved it!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Colorado
Thanks Carol not sure I can do a photo of axle definitely will have it checked as part of brake check, bearings etc. I am thinking they might have put something on to protect it ESP when taking on the outback in Colorado..by the way saw a Scamp coming from ski areas today! Moving along just fine..
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Anita, the Scamp axle.. well all torsion axles.. are in a tube. Is that what you're seeing?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Anita, Even if you can't post photos of the axle, it will help to post photos of the rest of the camper so people can answer your other questions. sounds like you're going to have fun this summer with your new camper
You only need black water tank if you have a bathroom with flushing toilet. Are you wanting to install a bathroom? Otherwise the tank is not needed. People use porta-potties if the dont' have bathrooms (or they use the campground ones). Scamps just drain their kitchen sink out the side of the camper with a short hose into a portable tank. So there's no need to add greywater tank. Just pour a small amount of water down your sink and see where it drains out.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Scamps just drain their kitchen sink out the side of the camper with a short hose into a portable tank. So there's no need to add greywater tank. Just pour a small amount of water down your sink and see where it drains out.
My 25 year old Scamp camp from the factory with a gray water tank. Anita... look under the trailer behind the axle. Anything there?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My 25 year old Scamp camp from the factory with a gray water tank. Anita... look under the trailer behind the axle. Anything there?
Hi, thanks all for info, you all are sooooo great!! Sorry haven't been on as of late as I have been busy here and there and figuring out things on the "Dreamweaver". Yes, you are right about black tank..had to buy accessories..did that. Bought hose for outside drain, figured that one out after putting water in the sink. Took microwave out..don't use. Have a little toaster oven. Bought battery 12v marine 95amps. Think what I saw on the axle what was shared..so plan is to have brake installed in car this coming Friday! The Scamp put in shop April 5th..electric jack installed, sway bar, bearings packed, axle, brakes checked, electrical, plumbing, propane. New tires on and a beautiful wheel cover..woohoo! Had to add another drape panel..the drapes were already in which matched pillows I made 3yrs ago, actually found material at Walmart! So everything will be done but polishing which will do later as this is enough to get road ready!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
oh oh oh, pleeeese post pictures when you can, it sounds lovely!! Sounds like you're doing a great job of figuring things out.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #12

Colorado
Thanks Pam the tire cover will be like my pic. It is not ready for pics maybe two more weeks. Just found out RV show going on in town. May check it out sure need a little warmer weather snow in high country today! Wind chill making itin the minus digits...that is Colorado wait a few minutes weather will change. The sun was out once during snowflakes. Ready for Spring! Ready for my first journey!