Compcat Jr vs. Compact II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Thumbs up

Can anyone give me a good description of the differences between these two trailers? Maybe some photos?

thanks
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Don,

Have you seen the photos of the two different Compacts on the Home page here? There are also photos of the Hunter I, which looks similar to the Compact II.

Looks-wise on the outside, the Compact Jr. is more of a shoebox shape, and a bit simpler. The pop-up roof is full length. The Compact II is a bit more stylized, with some slope to the front and some ridges and the like on the sides. Inside, it is a bit larger, with an extra foot or so on the inside. The pop-top is smaller and is only over the rear section (kitchen etc) and not over the bed. They both typically have slider windows, and a regular RV type door on the rear. The Compact Jr. windows are typically square-cornered, whereas the Compact II (I believe) usually has radius-cornered windows.

On the inside, the Compact Jr. has two fore-and-aft beds up front, which can either have a table in between or be made into one huge bed of about 72" wide and I think about 77" or so long (although don't quote me on the length). For that you would sleep lengthwise. Some people (if their height allows) sleep crosswise on the forward most section, and then have a little "dinette" on the after section.

Behind that, at the rear of the trailer, there is a kitchen on the left (driver's side), and a closet area on the right. There are walls between those areas and the bed area for support.

The Compact II is laid out similarly, although I think the bed is a bit wider and perhaps a bit shorter (fore-and-aft). I guess because it is wider they expect you will sleep side-to-side in the trailer, and thus it does not need to be as long (fore-and-aft) as the Compact Jr.'s bed.

At the rear, the space is similar. With the extra space I think it can vary, but there is often a bit more closet between the bed and kitchen/back area. Sometimes a Porta Potti "room" or even a plumbed bathroom. I've seen some with ovens (as a part of the stove).

It seems to me that the Compact Jr. more "came one way," and the Compact II's had more options and variations in level of accessorization.

The Compact Jr. has a "stick built" interior for the most part, and I think the Compact II does too. The kitchen "hood" may be fiberglass, but most of the interior furniture is wood.

Compact Jr's sometimes have bare (painted) fiberglass walls on the inside and sometimes have a vinyl-covered, diamond-quilted, open-celled foam wall covering (but from what I have seen it is not bonded to the walls in the same way that Ensolite usually is). I'm not sure if the Compact II's all have the vinyl or if some of those came bare too.

The Compact Jr's were made in two "side halves," whereas I think the Compact II's were made in top and bottom halves.

The Compact Jr's have a leaf spring suspension; not sure about the Compact II.

Raya

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
We have a Compact II. Ours is white with Black accents. We have seated as many as 6 inside our dinette. It has a u shape seating area. We have a kitchen and closet on the drivers side. And a fridge and a porta potty shower on the passenger side. I
CherylT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Maybe some photos?
From our Albums:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6_Compact_II.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	29072

Name:	3_Compact_II.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	29071

Name:   Hunter_front_top_up.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  18.9 KB
Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Thanks folks, that helps a lot. I have been looking to see/buy either of these, but there are almost none in the midwest and it was hard to get an understanding of the differences.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

[quote]
Attachment 29072

The example in our albums for Compact Jr. was repainted, while I believe the Compact II appears more original.

The Compact Jr. that I used to own had also been repainted.

Name:	Compact_Jr_Front_Open.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	29124

In the Sold Archive are photos of a Compact Jr. in original factory condition.

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	29126

Compact Jr. trailers originally were one of four pastel colors from the factory:
Pink or Beige, depending on how good your eyes are...
Blue
Green
Yellow

Mine had been Pink before it was painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact_Jr_Rear_Closed.jpg   IMG_1590.jpg  

Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Don--- still have my CJ Jr........ Meet ya halfway.. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote