Compulsive wiper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2002, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Compulsive wiper

Ok, I admit it, I'm a compulsive wiper.

Pam's job when we're breaking camp is to get everthing ship/shape on the inside of the trailer .... I handle the outside tasks.

And when I'm breaking camp, I wipe down a lot of stuff.

I wipe down the little folding tables and folding chair legs before stowing them in the tow vehicle

I wipe off the dog chain that Maggie's dragged over hill and dale on our usually dusty, dirty campsite ... as well as her outside water dish, before putting them away.

I wipe off the table cloth (if Pam put on one the outside picnic table) as well as the little clip-holdy-on-thingies. And the little bitty propane light / disposable propane cylinder ... not to mention the hummingbird feeder and the BBQ grill, if I left it out.

As I feed the shoreline power cord back into the trailer, I wipe off the wire as I feed it in.

As you can imagine, I go through a lot of rags.

I used to use paper towels, but found even the toughest isn't up to my complusive wiping.

So for the past four years or so, I've been purchasing, from Sam's Warehouse Club, a large bundle of white terrycloth towels ...

And I carry a supply down the road with us when we travel. I use them until Pam tells me they are too gross to use ... then she either washes them or makes me throw them away.

The towels, purchased in bulk, don't cost much ... and do a great job of wiping down all outside equipment in preparation for travel.

I've even pressed an occasional white towel into service for washing the trailer with a bucket of water ... but that's another story.

Am I a neat freak? No, not necessarily ... but since we often hit the road for a month or 6 weeks, I've found that dirt has a habit of building up. Storing a wet electrical hose can take its toll. And rain will splash up mud in all kinds of places.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:46 PM   #2

Charles, I recommend a couple of rolls of the blue Shop Towel stuf. Last longer than paper towels (cost more also), but you don't feel burdened to keep or wash them, just chuck 'em out when finished.

I have an expandable clothes hanging bar across the back of my pickup topper from which to hang stuf and things, and I have a roll each of paper towels and shop towels on there (with a keeper on each to keep them from creeping out under the door and unrolling down the road behind me).

Pete and Rats

Old 11-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

Charles, I recommend a couple of rolls of the blue Shop Towel stuf. Last longer than paper towels (cost more also), but you don't feel burdened to keep or wash them, just chuck 'em out when finished.

I have an expandable clothes hanging bar across the back of my pickup topper from which to hang stuf and things, and I have a roll each of paper towels and shop towels on there (with a keeper on each to keep them from creeping out under the door and unrolling down the road behind me).

Pete and Rats
What a great idea, Pete. I have an extra cargo bar and it's going in my okie box tomorrow (mañana) to hold my shop towels and things. :wiggly

Charles, Pete is so right about the blue towels. They last so well I hate to throw one away. :nope

Old 11-12-2002, 03:38 PM   #4

Blue towels

I've seen the blue towel rolls. Never purchased them. I'll pick up a roll.

I have swiped a couple of inches of the blue towels, dispensed at gas stations near the squeege and stinky water bucket.

I've found those gas station freebies are great to clean both tow vehicle and trailer windows.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:02 AM   #5

wipers

:wave Hi Charles
since we are greasing the backhoe a lot, and handling dirty equipment, i use gloves for everything. buy them for about $1.00 a pair by the dozens.
keep a pair in the shore power cabinet and wear them when takeing out and putting in the power cord, while wipeing it with the gloves. easier, i think, than useing a rag.:)

Old 11-15-2002, 09:33 AM   #6

Good tip on gloves

Lou, good tip on gloves ... I assume they are the cheap white cloth gloves ... and you just pitch them after a couple of wash cycles or heavy-mud uses?

Speaking of gloves ... I shudder when I watch folks use rubber ... or worse ... leather gloves for dump station duty. Sure, stuff keeps off their hands ... but the stuff builds up each time they use the gloves ... and then they pull them off and stow them somewhere, where stuff incubates and breeds ... and before long, got a real colony of germs growing, which they, of course, touch when they grab their gloves to put them back on the next time.

Old 11-15-2002, 10:11 AM   #7

gloves

That is one picture I could have done with out, Charles.

I always thought you pushed the cord in with your fingertips so you didn't get any of the stuff on you hands. You mean I was suppose to clean it? now you tell me. well I'll do better with my new to me trailer.

Old 11-15-2002, 10:28 AM   #8

Gloves

We by the surgical gloves at either Sam's or Costco. They are really strong and fit well because they come in sizes. We keep a box of them in our TT. Actually, my husband is an ardent fan of them and he's the one that put a box of them in there. He prefer's Costco's over Sam's. Not sure why, but I think they fit better. Also, we usually get the unpowdered kind.

Check it out. They are great for things like this. Use 'em and chunk 'em and they definitely keep the germs off!

Old 11-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #9

gloves

Suz are you wearing Costco or Sam's in your avatar picture? they look good and strong:lol

Old 11-15-2002, 01:48 PM   #10

wipes

>>I have swiped a couple of inches of the blue towels, dispensed at gas stations near the squeege and stinky water bucket.

Charles:

Now I remember, that was YOUR picture in the post office.

Old 11-15-2002, 07:43 PM   #11

Oh Charles

>> Storing a wet electrical hose can take its toll.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles , have you discovered another niffty gadget ? I have never heard of an electric hose. Do you plug one end into the 30A service and screw the other end into the city water inlet? You mentioned that it " takes its toll " ; I can well imagine that it would. Poor Pam:wak

Old 11-16-2002, 04:04 AM   #12

wiper

:wave Hi Charles
no we use leather (made in china:cry )
but we don't handle the sewer line. we use the sewer solution, so don't have a problem with a soiled hose.
after the gloves, usually, get greasy, we toss them.

Old 11-16-2002, 09:19 AM   #13

electrical hose

>>electric hose

Hi Larry! Yes, I have an electric hose ... you hook up to the campground spigot and the trailer city water connection .... then plug in the attached electrical plug ... and ionized, irradiated water then runs through the hose :) :)

Ok, ok, I don't have an 'electric hose' ... and I meant to say electrical cord.

See, the fun part about y'all reading what I write is I often don't write what I mean ... leaving the readers to fill in the blanks. Makes it more of a challenge that way!

Thanks,Larry, for pointing out my stupidity! ;) Say hi to Sherrin!

Old 11-17-2002, 11:32 AM   #14

electric hose

I've been waiting for an excuse to use one of my favorite quotes:

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said.........
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" :chatter

(and this was before the internet):E :E