Confused about Scamp/Casita weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is a 3 year old thread . The OP is long gone.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #22

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Thanks. I am weighing which but seriously am for small casita. I am in a month long search for a towing vehicle for less than $10k that get mpg of 20 or higher in tow w/ 13 ft. Casita as I am on fixed income on road below 700 a month. Any suggestions for used SUV or truck getting 20 or above mpg at $8k or so?
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Thanks. I am weighing which but seriously am for small casita. I am in a month long search for a towing vehicle for less than $10k that get mpg of 20 or higher in tow w/ 13 ft. Casita as I am on fixed income on road below 700 a month. Any suggestions for used SUV or truck getting 20 or above mpg at $8k or so?
Maybe a 4 cylinder Ranger or similar sized pickup would approach what you are asking for. A manual transmission wold get better fuel economy.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Ford Escape gets over 20mpg. Mine is a 2011 (so it would cost more than 7K) and it gets 25mpg going back and forth to work at 70mph and some city driving. I has gotten 28mpg on a long rural trip doing 55-60mph. They make 4cyl Escapes also
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #25

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. Holding on Kia for now.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #26

Name: Julian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
British Columbia
It doesn't matter that the thread is old, this is good information.

My 16' Scamp is bare bones (no furnace, no fridge, no bathroom, no awning). It has the usual cabinets, one steel propane bottle and a battery. I weighed it empty at a scale and it was 1440 lbs.

I have towed it with a 4-cylinder Isuzu pickup truck with manual transmission for thousands of miles and although a more powerful vehicle would be better, I think this truck is perfectly adequate. I can totally keep up with the traffic on lever roads and small inclines and on very steep roads I am equal or better than the commercial trucks.

I have another trailer which I tow with the same truck. It not aerodynamic, weighs 2400 lbs and causes the truck to burn 30% more fuel (compared to when towing the Scamp). It slows down my speed by 20% and even on small hills I am slower than most of the traffic.
JulianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #27

Indiana
Registry
Towing 16' scamp with furnace etc with 4 cylinder 2009 Subaru forester 4wd. Got 21-25 towing over sierras and all; get 33-40 mpg w/o tow.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #28

British Columbia
My fuel consumption numbers with a 4x4 2.6L 4-cyl Isuzu pickup with 5-sp manual transmission, precisely calculated and averaged over thousands of miles are:

travelling empty with 1 passenger: 12l/100km (19.6 MPG)
travelling empty and pulling a 1440lbs Scamp: 14l/100km (16.8 MPG)
travelling with family, full truck and pulling a 2400lbs trailer 16l/100km (14.7 MPG)

Infogypsy, your numbers are impressive. Do you feel the Subaru has enough power to keep up with the traffic?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The best place to look for the most accurate & current weights on fiberglass trailers loaded up for camping is the thread TRAILER WEIGHTS IN THE REAL WORLD.

The majority of the trailers on the list were all weighed using the same scales and weighing technique and include the tongue weights weighed on its own unattached from the vehicle.

I have a 16' Scamp side bath - no ac, one propane tank and battery, no water in the tanks the trailer which has been weighed loaded many times has never weighed in at less than 2500lbs & more common to weigh in at 2600lbs or slightly more.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #30

Indiana
Registry
Yes. Power is good. I never do over 50 on interstates though but did. 65 on empty new i69 and was fine (level). Pulled over many 5, 7 and even 10k mt tops. I am now sworn off ALL interstates forever though as why bother when those US roads are so wonderful? BTW. I did have clutch give out on last 800 miles but I believe I purchased that used Subaru in August with that problem already there. It had a soft rubbing sound from start and I did put on over 3k before it got really loud. I was amazed to get 39 mpg at one point tow-free.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #31

British Columbia
My fuel numbers were on mountainous interstates in WA, OR and Utah, doing the speed limit - so I tried to keep up with traffic and do 70 when that is the posted limit. If I go with 50, it will be a bit better, but not too much. I think with the Scamp being so aerodynamic, speed is not such of a factor. My other trailer is a totally different story - I feel it like a parachute and I can not make more than 55 with it even on level road and I don't need brakes when descending.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #32

British Columbia
CarrolH, that thread you referenced as you say is for fully loaded trailers, ready for camping.

I weigh my trailers at commercial scales by fully detaching them from the vehicle, so it couldn't be more accurate. My standard 16" Scamp absolutely empty weighs 1440 lb.

I will be re-arranging it and I have done a very accurate calculation how much it will weigh after I add all those extras:
empty trailer 1440
spare wheel 22
ATWOOD FURNACE 26,000 BTU 30
Atwood G6A-8E 6 Gallon DSI Electric Ignition Water Heater 22
SHURFLO WATER PUMP 8
RV Gas Range Oven 79
Dometic RM2454 78
20 AMP 110 V- 12V AMERICAN RV POWER CONVERTER 7
bathroom enclosure 22
toilet 11
water tanks 22
laminate floor 55
headliner and insulation 66
small parts from Scamp 22
piping, fasteners, other materials 50

Total 1934 lb
Old 11-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
CarrolH, that thread you referenced as you say is for fully loaded trailers, ready for camping.

I weigh my trailers at commercial scales by fully detaching them from the vehicle, so it couldn't be more accurate. My standard 16" Scamp absolutely empty weighs 1440 lb.

Yes the trailers are on the thread Trailer Weights in The Real World are primarily trailers "camping ready" which makes it a very valuable resource here for those wanting to know what they can expect their trailers to weigh once loaded up for camping. Of note most of those trailers probable didnt have any water in their tanks as they were camping at a park with full hook ups. There are a couple of trailers on the list that where not fully loaded and camping ready & are noted as such.

As you have indicated your 16' Scamp weights to date are on the very light side due to the trailer having been gutted of many of the more common items such as toilet, fridge, stove, furnace items removed. Which could be a little misleading to those who are looking for a weight the can expect a trailer to weigh camping ready. Most people can also add another 500 to 700lbs of stuff to their trailer weights once its packed up for camping. Yup those are very common numbers for personal stuff & camping equipment - ie clothing, food, chairs, hoses, extension cords, pots and pans etc. at least for those who have taken the time to way it all have found.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #34

British Columbia
Agreed, weight adds up quickly and it is important to know how much trailers weigh in the real world when they are ready for camping.

But for some people (like me) it is important to know what is the weight of a bare bones trailer, so they can make a decision which one to buy. I think a bare bones Casita is heavier than a bare bones Scamp. But I only know the real weight of the 16' Scamp, that is why I posted it.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My earlier weights were all scale weights and they are fully loaded weights for extended travel though not for a 13 foot. Generally Scamp's are lighter than Casitas.

As to 13 footers, my son tows a Scamp 13 with a four cylinder Honda automatic with a transmission cooler and gets 18-20 mpg.

We tow with the same engine with a manual transmission as him and get 22-23 mpg. We are particularly careful as to mpgs since we can tow 20,000 miles in a year of travel.

The few who get high mpg tow with 4 cylinder VW diesels. I think there are one or two on the site.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #36

Registry
Julian not sure if this will help you to calculate out what you can or cant expect your trailer to weigh once you have it all put back together or not but I can give you some details in regards to the Scamp 16' Standard side bath that appears on the Real World Weight Thread twice as trailer # 33 & #37 as its my own trailer.

Its a pretty standard Scamp 16' in regards to options - or at least based on the ones I have seen over the years at meets. Is a 1992 model so it does have the rat fur and foil bubble insulation. It does not have AC or an oven. It does have an awning, small fridge, propane stove & furnace, fresh and grey water tanks and a hot water tank. A wet bathroom with toilet and attached black tank. One propane tank and a group 27 battery on the tongue.

In regards to its loaded status at the time of both the recorded weigh ins it had *no* water in any tanks. At the time it was weighed on both occasions it was fully loaded for 3 to 4 weeks of camping. Everything in it from the portable bq, chairs, a small portable stove for outside use, food, clothing (although only two small box 13" x 13" square of clothing), lanterns, dishes and pots and pans etc. and a mid sized tote box full of hoses, chocks, electrical cords, etc.

On number 37 - when it was heavier on the axle but lighter on the tongue than when weighed at #33 I was also carrying a portable cooler in the trailer. I had on that trip made a point of adjusting where items where stowed in the trailer to try and keep the tongue weight at or below the 200lb tongue weight limit spec on my Subaru Outback - something I havent done again or would not do again due to how unstable the trailer felt with that light of tongue weight % to the axle weight when traveling at speeds over 55 mph. A weight distribution hitch to correct the issue is not an item recommend for use by the tugs manufacture.

After the #37 weigh in I know I needed to increase the % of tongue weight to the axle weight, so I tried to reduce the axle weight to achieve that. Due to there not being much of anything in the way of needed items to remove and most of the items I was carrying where purchased with the intent of getting the lightest products possible the only thing of weight I could remove was the portable cooler. It now travels in the back seat of the car - as I only carry one passenger if any. I also due to having to go over the tugs specs on the tongue to achieve a solid tow dont like to carry much other than golf clubs in the rear of the car.

The weights shown on #33 are now pretty well the numbers I see when it has been weighed again. I do tend to weight it a couple of times a year just to be sure it hasnt managed to gain weight & will give it a good clean up at of all the little stuff that can start to add up if it is suffering from a minor weight gain problem ;-) I have a rule that if I add something new to the trailer something else has to go. For example when I added a fairly light small flat screen TV to the trailer my kitchen had to loose one large pot and a couple of extra coffee mugs to accommodate the added weight. So yup I am pretty careful about what I load into the trailer & the relevant weights. ;-)

I know that if I was to be only going on a 2-3 night trip I could shed some items out of the trailer but I dont think it would be much more than 100lbs worth (which would bring it down to the lightest weight 16' Scamp on the list) but I know on longer trips I would miss having most of those items greatly.

Hope that back ground on at least one of the 16' on the list helps you in some way.

Tags
casita, scamp, weighing, weight