Cost of axle - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #101

Name: Blake
Trailer: '79 Boler 13
British Columbia
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Keep in mind that the arm lengths and ride heights are different for the two manufacturers.

For either, buying the bolt on kit, makes a big difference when it comes to change in the future. No welding involved.

I had to ask rv people where to go to get an axel installed, I had no idea. Hub City Springs here in Nanaimo did it for me. The ride it way better, the boler doesnt bounce as much (kind of obvious i know) but for me, what is also important, is my impression that I am putting far less stress on my frame. In a further post when i get some photos together I will tell a story about how before my new axel my frame on one side just under the front of the shell broke clear through and was hanging by the other side only. -frame welded - reinforced -new axel. (no money or time for proper frame off restoration)
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #102

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
Dexter Didn't make a Torsion Axle Until 1986

I just got off the phone with the very imformative lady at Dexter Warranty Department. As soon as I mentioned the "KA-" in my hub's part number she said that I didn't have a Dexter hub but a Kelsey one. She further told me that Kelsey was purchased by Hayes and became Kelsey-Hayes, which was later purchased by AL-CO Kober. She went on to tell me that if I had a torsion axle in my '78 trailer that it was definitely NOT a Dexter as they didn't make a torsion/Torflex axle until 1986 when they purchased some Canadian Axle company (she couldn't remember the name). When I suggested that she may be mistaken, as many people who owned older trailers were mentioning they had a Dexter torsion axle in them. She said that she had been working there since 1985 and distinctly remembers Dexter purchasing the other company for the torsion axle shortly after she started working there. Well, at least now I know my hubs are Kelsey hubs.

Thebend in my axle is not in the center, but more towards the side by the door. I think it may be the result of a bad jacking attempt. I will have to take it to a shop to have it inspected. If it needs a replacement I may just wait until next year when I am considering to take the frame off to do a complete sand blasting and painting of the frame. Has anyone tried sandblasting and painting the frame with the body still attached?

~Rod
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #103

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
HOLEE SMOKES!

"The Dexter axle is what you have" has been the Mantra here FOREVER!!!
I can't even imagine the magnitude of the controversy that may be about to erupt...
Be nice to Rodre, everybody! He's trying to help us as well as himslf!
Thanks for the info, Rodre!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #104

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Francesca, Just sit back and watch.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #105

Registry
...will do..............................

Old 05-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #106

British Columbia
Registry
I am just repeating what the lady at Dexter told me. I can't confirm or deny what she told me, other then the fact that I appear to have Kelsey hubs on my trailer as confirmed by the cast in mdel number, and that the other information she mentions regarding the various sales and owners of Kelsey axle appears to be true from my small effort of searching the web. She seemed pretty knowledgeable on the phone, if you don't believe me just call Dexter and ask for the warranty department and I am pretty sure you will get the same lady. Just mention the torsion axle on your 197x trailer and see that she has to say and make up your own mind.

If she is correct about Dexter not manufacturing a torsion axle before 1986 then perhaps these axles on the older Trillium's are from the Canadian company that Dexter purchased in the mid 80's.

The only other thing I can say is that Tom Young of Trillium fame told me in person and face to face that they are using the same axle in the Trilliums that they are building now as the ones they used 30 years ago. So go figure...

If I am about to be flamed bring it on...

~Rodre
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #107

Indiana
Wow Kelsey Hayes, I had a set of aluminum tricks on a '73 Z28, They were Kelsey Hayes and the tire store broke one and they could not find one anywhere in the country , that was in '84 or '85.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #108

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post

If she is correct about Dexter not manufacturing a torsion axle before 1986 then perhaps these axles on the older Trillium's are from the Canadian company that Dexter purchased in the mid 80's.

The only other thing I can say is that Tom Young of Trillium fame told me in person and face to face that they are using the same axle in the Trilliums that they are building now as the ones they used 30 years ago. So go figure...

If I am about to be flamed bring it on...

~Rodre
I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way, Rodre-
It's practically Holy Writ around here that everybody has a Dexter. I've seen knock-down-dragouts over much smaller matters!
As it turns out you and your source at Dexter are ab-so-tive-ly CORRECT, as two minutes of research has turned up
Since Trilliums were out of productions for many years before the molds went on the road again in the early "oughts", Tom Young may be unaware of the facts you've unearthed.
We owe you a debt of gratitude for bringing this to our attention!
I actually (gasp) looked in my 1978Trillium's owner's manual, and found that-I've got a "Rub-R-Ride" axle!!!
There isn't a copy of this manual in the Docs center here, but somebody laboriously typed in the contents into a thread in 2007.
Here's what the manual says:

From:Post #10 at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ual-29578.html
Chassis
Your Trillium sits on a computer designed and tested frame and a patented Rub-R-Ride independent suspension system.

And here's all that's left of Rub-R-Ride
From:Rub-r-ride: Trademark by Ingersoll Machine and Tool Company Limited
RUB-R-RIDE
Trademark Record
Close

Detail New discussion
1 Detail
2 About
RUB-R-RIDE

Canada Trademark #TMA165696

Basic Data

Word Mark RUB-R-RIDE
Live/Dead Dead
Registration Number TMA165696
Registration Date Oct 10, 1969
Filing Date Nov 27, 1968
Status Expunged
Serial Number 0317986
Owners & People
INGERSOLL MACHINE AND TOOL COMPANY LIMITED
Registrant King Street West
Ingersoll
Ontario
Classes
Goods (1) A suspension unit for trailer axles.

END QUOTE

There you have it!

Thanks a million, Rodre

Francesca
Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #109

British Columbia
Registry
Thats great, it looks like everyone is correct! But now why I have Kelsey Hubs on my Ingersol/Dexter axle/Possibly Kelsey Axle is going to require some more researh. The lady at Dexter also mentioned that at that time most of the major parts were intercfhangeable between manufacturers and that perhaps trillium just used whatever hubs were readily available (maybe there was a great hub shortage in '78? :P ) or that the previous owner wanted to upgrade from 7" to 10" brakes, which seems overkill to me. The wiring is definitely factory so I am confused why a guy who barely used this thing, as the wear on the original tires verifys (unless he used it so much that he bought new goodyear a13 tires before they went out of production), would upgrade the brakes from 7" to 10" unless he had it packed full while driving or was just extra cautious, which I don't doubt as he was very meticulous about the way he went about things.

I didn't tale your comments the wrong way at all, and yes, I have been beat up over smaller things, allbeit not on this forum.

I think I sshould have my status updated from junior memeber to member for providing the true identity of our Ingersoll axles :P
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #110

Indiana
Don't look now but it updated, I think it does that after a certain # of post'.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #111

Registry
Quote:
I think I should have my status updated from junior member to member for providing the true identity of our Ingersoll axles :P
I think you should have your status updated to KING!

Francesca
Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #112

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I think I sshould have my status updated from junior memeber to member for providing the true identity of our Ingersoll axles :P
Man look at you go! Its a shame you couldnt have brought the trailer out this week-end and have the boys confirmed what the cause of bend is one way or another for you. Hope you where able to pick up some helpful info from them anyways. Bring it out to the Scambled Egg Meet in July.

Now go take a seat at your new table and pour a beer and act like a king!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #113

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way, Rodre-
It's practically Holy Writ around here that everybody has a Dexter. I've seen knock-down-dragouts over much smaller matters!
As it turns out you and your source at Dexter are ab-so-tive-ly CORRECT, as two minutes of research has turned up
Since Trilliums were out of productions for many years before the molds went on the road again in the early "oughts", Tom Young may be unaware of the facts you've unearthed.
We owe you a debt of gratitude for bringing this to our attention!
I actually (gasp) looked in my 1978Trillium's owner's manual, and found that-I've got a "Rub-R-Ride" axle!!!
There isn't a copy of this manual in the Docs center here, but somebody laboriously typed in the contents into a thread in 2007.
Here's what the manual says:

From:Post #10 at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ual-29578.html
Chassis
Your Trillium sits on a computer designed and tested frame and a patented Rub-R-Ride independent suspension system.

And here's all that's left of Rub-R-Ride
From:Rub-r-ride: Trademark by Ingersoll Machine and Tool Company Limited
RUB-R-RIDE
Trademark Record
Close

Detail New discussion
1 Detail
2 About
RUB-R-RIDE

Canada Trademark #TMA165696

Basic Data

Word Mark RUB-R-RIDE
Live/Dead Dead
Registration Number TMA165696
Registration Date Oct 10, 1969
Filing Date Nov 27, 1968
Status Expunged
Serial Number 0317986
Owners & People
INGERSOLL MACHINE AND TOOL COMPANY LIMITED
Registrant King Street West
Ingersoll
Ontario
Classes
Goods (1) A suspension unit for trailer axles.

END QUOTE

There you have it!

Thanks a million, Rodre

Francesca
Yes, absolutely, both my 1980 Trillium 4500 (Ontario made) and my 1974 Boler (Winnipeg made) had Ingersoll Rub-R-Ride axles in them. The Trillium still does, clearly marked. I didn't realize there was any issue over this.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #114

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I didn't realize there was any issue over this.

Rick G
Hi, Rick

I didn't either until Rodre brought it up!
The "Dexter Axle in the early Trilliums" assertion has been so often repeated here that I for one certainly accepted it as a fact...

Puts me in mind of the famous Josh Billings saying:
"It ain't the things you don't know that get you in to trouble- it's the things you know for certain that just ain't so!"

Francesca

Edit P.S.
Hmmm
I think I'll make ol' Josh's words my "signature"!

F.K.K.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #115

Indiana
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #116

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
this thread has taken a few twists and turns over 9 pages!!!

I'll add in to the original subject. last night I ordered a Dexter #9 w/brakes, 5-bolt hubs thru a local welder for $350 + taxes. His labor is going to be $150+.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #117

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
this thread has taken a few twists and turns over 9 pages!!!

I'll add in to the original subject. last night I ordered a Dexter #9 w/brakes, 5-bolt hubs thru a local welder for $350 + taxes. His labor is going to be $150+.

I think if you were satisfied with the cost and results you may wish to do both the shop and other members a service and post the name and city of the shop.

In regards to the Dexter/Ingersoll Axle thing, I wasn't trying to make a big "issue" over it, I guess when the nice lady at Dexter told me that they didn't make a torsion axle until 1986 this threw me for a loop; for as Francesca mentions Axle + Trillium = Dexter is the mantra around here and other sites on the web. The fact that the axle in the Trilliums is an Ingersoll, which was later purchased by Dexter is a mere detail, seeing as how Dexter has been good about maintaing the parts, designs, specs to be interchangeable. Furthermore, as someone mentioned to me in a private message the lady could have just said "not ours" and hung up on me, instead she took a few minutes out of her day to school me on an axle history that was not even made by them, so 3 cheers for the excellent customer service at Dexter! I think many companies customer service can take a lesson from the people at Dexter, especially the people who seem to man the RV parts counters in many of the RV centers I have visited looking for parts for this trailer and the other vintage ones I have owned.

While this may be nostalgic information to most people I personally think it has some value - at least the next time someone tells me the axle in my Trillium is not a Dexter it won't throw me for a loop and back to the drawing board.

~Rodre
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #118

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
the lady could have just said "not ours" and hung up on me, instead she took a few minutes out of her day to school me on an axle history that was not even made by them, so 3 cheers for the excellent customer service at Dexter! I think many companies customer service can take a lesson from the people at Dexter
I couldn't agree more.

HHH*3
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #119

Registry
Quote:

While this may be nostalgic information to most people I personally think it has some value - at least the next time someone tells me the axle in my Trillium is not a Dexter it won't throw me for a loop and back to the drawing board.

~Rodre
I think so, too, Rodre-
In fact, You might consider starting a new thread with exactly the title you put at the top of your"Dexter didn't make, etc." post.
I think people won't see it otherwise, since it's buried so far down in this thread, and the thread itself only has a single tag:"axle"
I think that the only person that can add tags is the Original Poster of a thread, and maybe you could use some that would help searchers (especially Trillium owners ) find their way to the information you uncovered.

Francesca

Tags
axle