Cost of axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
We had our Boler's axle checked yesterday at Pacific Axle in Langley and were quoted $700 for axle ($444 + tax) and labour ($200). Does this sound about right? They were bringing it in from Dexter Axle.

The guy didn't seem to be concerned about our axle, so it is hard to justify the cost at the moment.
GenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A Dexter #9 standard axle without brakes can be had for about $200 US. The labor is about right. A few years ago, I bought a Dexter #10 rubbered to 3500 lbs with electric brakes and the EZ-Lube hubs and the axle was about $350.

Check the Dexter site for what you need. You can order them from a variety of dealers built to your specs. They're relatively easy to install... pretty much anyone who is handy with a tape measure and can weld can cut the old axle off and install the new one.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sounds about right to me. Dexter pricing seems to have gone up a bit here in Canada this year.

A Dexter #10 rubbered to 2500 Lbs. with brakes (and tube) with EZ Lube and the mounting brackets came in at just over $600 CDN last week including taxes. Installation was extra - still waiting for the final bill.

I paid a little over $400 CDN including taxes for a # 9 with brakes and mounting brackets last year.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

Would it be worth it to look into doing it in the States?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Agree, sounds right here in Canada.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
We had our Boler's axle checked yesterday at Pacific Axle in Langley and were quoted $700 for axle ($444 + tax) and labour ($200). Does this sound about right? They were bringing it in from Dexter Axle.

The guy didn't seem to be concerned about our axle, so it is hard to justify the cost at the moment.
I just ordered a Dexter #9, 2000 lb axle with electric brakes and E-Z lube for $329 + $95 shipping from Florida to New England. Ordered from Humphreys Hitch and Trailer Parts. When I checked locally at 2 different places, both wanted about $700 for the same thing without installation. The 3rd local place I called told me I should order it online and it would be much cheaper.

Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

A quick search found some prices in US$
http://www.humphreystrailerparts.com/dexte...flex-9-axle.htm

Note the "overweight item" - shipping charges will be calculated after you place your order.

Here are some Canadian prices, they indicate my costs were in line.
http://www.metrotrailers.com/trailer...html#DexterTor
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 73 Trillium 13 ft / Toyota Landcrusier HDJ81
I recently had Trillium organize shipping of one from Idaho to Sumas WA (ship happens) and I drove accross and paid my dutys. 2000 lb axle, no brakes, all said and done it was $377 canadian.
E Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Sounds about right to me. Dexter pricing seems to have gone up a bit here in Canada this year.

A Dexter #10 rubbered to 2500 Lbs. with brakes (and tube) with EZ Lube and the mounting brackets came in at just over $600 CDN last week including taxes. Installation was extra - still waiting for the final bill.

I paid a little over $400 CDN including taxes for a # 9 with brakes and mounting brackets last year.
I am a bit confused when I look at the links and the pricing. The axle that we were quoted didn't have any brakes and it was $445 and when I look at the Metro Centre site, it looks like the price is $183 (S\A Idler Single EZ Lube Axle Kit) but then I am not sure if I am looking at the right axle. Am I looking at the right axle?

I'll be honest I had a only a vague idea where an axle was before we bought the Boler.

I really appreciate all your responses.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
when I look at the Metro Centre site, it looks like the price is $183 (S\A Idler Single EZ Lube Axle Kit) but then I am not sure if I am looking at the right axle. Am I looking at the right axle?
That looks like the straight axle, scroll down a bit more and find the Dexter Torflex EZ lube, the 2000# Torflex Idler is $251. Add in accessories, shipping, taxes etc. and it does not take long to get up in price.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Humphrey's is a straight-up company. They installed my hitch here in Pensacola.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenM View Post

Did you get your axle replaced at Pacific Axle. Did they do good work?

Rick
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
3,500# Dexter TorFlex with brakes From Redneck Trailer's branch here in Metro Denver - $400
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #14

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Go to http://dexteraxle.com and figure out the part number of the axle you want then go to this web site http://www.aawheel.com get their 800 number and call them for a price. If you will pay for it I am sure they will drop ship. I smoked a bearing on one of the axles on my 21’ Bigfoot a few years ago. My son in law worked at Redneck Trailer so I checked with them first. $340 for a replacement. This AA Wheel supply has an outlet about 5 miles from my house so I stopped in there on the way home. I had taken the axle off and had it in the back of my pickup. The guy took his tape measure and measured it right there. The axle was an odd size so they had to order it from Dexter. As I remember it was $169 for a new 3500 lb axle complete with new bearings, hubs, drums, and brakes, even lug nuts. The Dexter plant is in Carrolton, Missouri. For you mechanical types AA wheel has a lot of different parts for a real reasonable price. It costs nothing to check their web site and call them.

As an added thought I went back up there a couple of years later to get brake shoes for the other axle since it did not get new shoes when I replaced the other one. It turned out that an entire new hub, drum and brake assembly was not much more than just the shoes. So that is what I got. Again these were Dexter parts.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenM View Post
Hi, Gen

You don't say why you had the axle checked to begin with- were there specific symptoms you were concerned about?
I'd appreciate any input from the group as to what the indicators of a worn out axle ARE.
(Short of the wheels falling off )
What would an inspection of the axle consist of? What should be looked for?

Thanks,

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
An axle can be damaged or bent and knocked out of line by striking an object or obstruction or dropping off in a ditch when turning a corner. A spindle can be damaged if a bearing breaks or seizes and heats up. If the axle is bent or the spindle is damaged then the axle should be replaced. With proper periodic service and freedom from accidental damage an axle should outlast the trailer.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
An axle can be damaged or bent and knocked out of line by striking an object or obstruction or dropping off in a ditch when turning a corner. A spindle can be damaged if a bearing breaks or seizes and heats up. If the axle is bent or the spindle is damaged then the axle should be replaced. With proper periodic service and freedom from accidental damage an axle should outlast the trailer.
Thanks, Bruce!

But if we don't know a trailer's history, what signs should we look for that a replacement is called for? It's my understanding (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) that the "torsion arms" can't be repaired or adjusted, but only replaced by a whole-axle job.
What is the periodic service you refer to in your answer? And is there a measurement of play/throw/whatever it might be called that would indicate that the torsion suspension is worn out??

Thanks again,

Francesca
Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Gen

If you are still looking to have your axle replaced, we now offer full repair service for fiberglass rv trailers. Even if you want us to just supply the axle, I don't believe any local company can beat our prices. Please let me know if you want the axle with or without brakes.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reace View Post
Hi Gen

If you are still looking to have your axle replaced, we now offer full repair service for fiberglass rv trailers. Even if you want us to just supply the axle, I don't believe any local company can beat our prices. Please let me know if you want the axle with or without brakes.

Reace
Hi, Reece

You sound like someone who can answer the questions I asked in the post just before yours!
Can you? Please?

Thanks

Francesca
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #20

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Bruce

There has been lots of discussions about torsion axles failing after 20 years of use. (frozen, and sagging) Mine has sagged 1 1/2" on one side, and is now a low rider. Look at Roy in TO's thread for pictures. Mine is the same.

Rick
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle