Couple General Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #1

Name: Willy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Couple General Questions

Hi again. First off thanks for all the replies to my previous posts, I am new to owning any sort of RV so I have had lots of basic questions and appreciate all the help!!

So I have a 1979 Bigfoot BF16SM. My first question is how is the underside of the trailer sealed or built so water doesn't get in?? Anything to look for for basic wear and tear or damage? I crawled underneath but to be honest didn't really know what I was looking for! The material seems like it may be some sort of fiberglass type material as well but I can't tell. You can see where the fibreglass shell comes down and around but seems like a separate material/piece on the chassis.

Second, can I get on the roof of my trailer? Like would it support the weight of an average person? Or should I put something to distribute the weight like a sheet of plywood or something? Or should I avoid it all together!!? For example if I want to reseal the vents and inspect the roof etc.

Thanks in advance!
WillyBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I don't know the bigfoot specifically, but in general FG trailers are not designed to support the weight of an adult on the roof. I lean a 8' ladder against the trailer (with foam padding such as pool noodles to keep it from scratching, and lean over the trailer to do said sealing and other roof repair kind of jobs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've looked at alot of Bigfoot traileers and owned a 1994 17CB but I have never heard of a BF16SM. I did an internet search to identify a BF16SM and found no results. Could you post pictures. I'm reallly curious.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I don't know the bigfoot specifically, but in general FG trailers are not designed to support the weight of an adult on the roof. I lean a 8' ladder against the trailer (with foam padding such as pool noodles to keep it from scratching, and lean over the trailer to do said sealing and other roof repair kind of jobs.
Ok great thanks John! Good to know...
Old 06-15-2022, 10:25 PM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I've looked at alot of Bigfoot traileers and owned a 1994 17CB but I have never heard of a BF16SM. I did an internet search to identify a BF16SM and found no results. Could you post pictures. I'm reallly curious.
Thanks for this! So I didn't find any info either upon searching. I only posted the BF16SM as that's the Model # listed inside the closet door from Bigfoot. I will post pics just need to figure out how lol. Give me a few days. I think it's basically a Bigfoot 17' trailer from 1979.....
Old 06-15-2022, 10:36 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Ok for now this isn't my trailer, but an ad I found that is more or less exactly like my trailer, if that makes sense!

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...hope-bc-canada

Let me know what mistake I'm making on the model etc!
Old 06-16-2022, 04:49 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Pic assist
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 05-48-01 SOLD - 1979 17' Bigfoot travel trailer - $9 000 - Hope BC Cana.jpg   Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 05-47-43 SOLD - 1979 17' Bigfoot travel trailer - $9 000 - Hope BC Cana.jpg  

ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #8

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Pic assist
Ha hey guess I didn’t think is that your trailer for sale ?!
Old 06-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
No, just posting the pic for you in case the ad disappears.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Pic assist
The model in the picture is A 17G. The bottom of theunderside is molded fiberglass. I would not put much weight on the roof. Some of the early ones had wavy roofs. the wavy roofs were a cosmetic issue, not structural.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
No, just posting the pic for you in case the ad disappears.
Ok excellent thanks !
Old 06-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #12

Alberta
Quote:
The model in the picture is A 17G. The bottom of theunderside is molded fiberglass. I would not put much weight on the roof. Some of the early ones had wavy roofs. the wavy roofs were a cosmetic issue, not structural.
Ok thanks ! Ya the model no wonder I couldn’t find any info either. Is there ever a worry or issue with the water getting in from underneath while driving in the rain? Or is that pretty uncommon ?

Ya the roof is slightly wavy but not bad. I’ll be sure to stay off it tho
Old 06-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

I know our professional local trailer repair people don't even trust the ones that are rated for the weight. The have a gantry that they pull the trailer under and then move back and forth to do any roof repairs. And fiber glass trailers seem to be the least strong type. So I would not trust them. I always use an aframe ladder next to my trailer for any roof access repairs.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote