Crack in Frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Sylvia
Trailer: Bigfoot 2000 15 B17 CB
California
Crack in Frame?

Hi everyone, we found 2 small cracks in part of the frame that is a cross piece at the front near the hitch. I’m wondering if that’s something that could be repaired or would we need a replacement frame, and if anyone can tell me what a new replacement frame might cost? We have a 17’ Bigfoot trailer.
Attached Images

NorCalTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: Casita
New York
From your pictures it appears the cracks are limited to the cross member rather than the main beam of the frame. Cracks like this can be repaired. A small hole is drilled at the end of the crack. This technique, called "drill stopping" relieves the stress in the cross member, preventing the crack from continuing to grow in length. A skilled welder can then weld the existing crack closed. In addition, a piece of flat stock steel could be welded over the damaged area to strengthen it. A skilled fabricator could make the determination as to the proper course of action.
Chiefwinemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #3

Name: Sylvia
Trailer: Bigfoot 2000 15 B17 CB
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwinemaker View Post
From your pictures it appears the cracks are limited to the cross member rather than the main beam of the frame. Cracks like this can be repaired. A small hole is drilled at the end of the crack. This technique, called "drill stopping" relieves the stress in the cross member, preventing the crack from continuing to grow in length. A skilled welder can then weld the existing crack closed. In addition, a piece of flat stock steel could be welded over the damaged area to strengthen it. A skilled fabricator could make the determination as to the proper course of action.
That’s what my husband thought as well. Good to hear a second opinion, thank you! We have some calls in to get quotes from a couple of local mobile welders.
NorCalTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Find an OLD welder. They have seen everything and will be able to fix it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Crack in frame

A local utility trailer shop may be able to help.
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Welders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Find an OLD welder. They have seen everything and will be able to fix it.
And old welder, preferably one who has built stock car roll cages.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And old welder, preferably one who has built stock car roll cages.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave - They just dont understand that it takes a really experienced welder to do it right.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I have been lucky to have a welder for a brother. He welded the inside of the booms on P&H cranes for several years under military contract, welded lift arms on John Deere Buldozers, and welded up broken snow plows for the Iowa DOT. He was certified to 3 1/2 inches thick.

When a storm dropped a big oak tree on a pavilion I had under my pervue I hired a certified welder to make the roof beams “better than new”

The equipment repair shops in our farm country welding on half million dollar combines and big tractors are good too. That’s where I had the fish plates welded on thw 2010 Escape frame.
My brother was a little hesitant to work around fiberglass
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote