Do I leave my Casita's water heater on? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Do I leave my Casita's water heater on?

My water heater has been running for 3 weeks, and I only rarely use it. It is loud. I also don't know if it is running on electric or propane. There is a switch near the floor, which is "On", and has a reset button. I think I had to turn that on when I originally got hot water. I don't think I ever removed a cotter-pin in the water-heater (outside), so I don't think it is using electricity. I thought it was running on electric, but now I am thinking it must have been on propane the whole time. I have been plugged in to 30am service the whole time. Anyway, it is loud, and I rarely use hot-water. So I am hoping I can turn it off most of the time.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
Just turn off the switch by the floor and it will go off if it's on propane. It only takes about 15 min to heat up if you want to use it. FYI.... The "reset" button is not really a reset button. It's a light that shows the water heater is starting up when you turn the switch on. The light will go out once the it fires up.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #3

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Just turn off the switch by the floor and it will go off if it's on propane. It only takes about 15 min to heat up if you want to use it. FYI.... The "reset" button is not really a reset button. It's a light that shows the water heater is starting up when you turn the switch on. It will go out once the it fires up.
I looked in the water-heater outside, I think there is a rock-switch with tape over it. It looks like the bottom of the switch says "On", but is in the raised position. So it looks like it is taped to the "Off" position. I flipped the inside water-heater switch to be "off", but it seems to still be running. Maybe I need to reset it? Or maybe it will turn off after doing a last cycle? I guess tomorrow, I will pull the cotter outside, and switch it use electric. I thought it already was on electric, because their is a piece that looks like a jet engine, which I assumed was the gas heating element, and it does not have a flame. Edit: I think it was my water pump, not the water heater. I turned "off" a rocker switch mounted beneath by sink, and the moise immediately stopped. So I think it is the water pump. Can I leave the water-pump turned off most of the time?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:06 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I thought you are hooked up to city water, if so you don't need to have the water pump on at all. Only if you're only using water out of the tank.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #5

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I thought you are hooked up to city water, if so you don't need to have the water pump on at all. Only if you're only using water out of the tank.
I am plugged in to city water, and have never put water in the fresh water tank. So I don't need the water pump on? I've noticed it comes on when I plush the toilet. It seemed like it was being used.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
When you flush the toilet the city/trailer water pressure drops and the trailer water pump comes on, but since you have no water on board the pump is really not doing anything. Leave it off.
Since your city pressure drops enough to cause the OB pump to start when you flush the toilet you may have a restriction in your city water line. Your Campground city water valve may not be fully open or the screen at your city water input may have trash in it. Or the CG water pressure may just be low. No big deal just letting you know why the on board water pump was comming on.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #7

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
When you flush the toilet the city/trailer water pressure drops and the trailer water pump comes on, but since you have no water on board the pump is really not doing anything. Leave it off.
Since your city pressure drops enough to cause the OB pump to start when you flush the toilet you may have a restriction in your city water line. Your Campground city water valve may not be fully open or the screen at your city water input may have trash in it. Or the CG water pressure may just be low. No big deal just letting you know why the on board water pump was comming on.

Eddie

That makes sense, thanks. My campground does have <50 psi water-pressure, it is restricted for RVs. The campground owner said I would not need a regulator, so I am not using it. I just took a shower without the OB water-pump, and everything seemed to work fine. So I guess it's been on for 3 weeks without doing anything.

Tags
casita