do i need to pack axle bearings on scamp '13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hi all.

Within a couple weeks, we will be embarking on our two week trip out west. We've only taken the Scamp out twice since we got it this past winter. But I am wondering if the axle bearings need to be packed before we leave to be safe. I checked on the scamp website, it is says:

 Lug Nuts and Wheel bearings

When your trailer is new you should check the axle after the first 200 miles. Check the lug nuts making sure they are not loose and check the hub for excessive heat. New trailers with EZ lube hubs will run hot the first couple hundred miles until the bearings seat. After this point the bearings should be checked once a year or every 5000 miles. If the trailer is equipped with brakes examine them at the same time as the bearings. When installing grease in the EZ lube zert use one or two pumps. Do not over fill. This will break the grease seal, and the extra grease can get on the brake shoes, causing them to malfunction.

The trailer is an 2005 13ft Scamp with no brakes. Is the EZ lube thing an easier option than packing axle grease? I just want to know whether I should have this checked out or not. The trailer has only about 5000 miles or so on it, so lightly used.
Dan Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We also are leaving for out west at the end of this week. Mileage on our camper is close to what you have & I repacked the bearings for the first time. I cleaned the old grease out and repacked, the old grease seemed a little thin compared to the new wheel bearing grease I packed with. Personally I don't think we would have had any problems without the repack but now I have complete piece of mind. Did the job myself and took approx 1 1/2 hours.

Have a great trip!! Perhaps we will run into you. We are taking US route 2 out to Seattle and then heading down to Portland and returning on US 20.
Peter Linder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
yes ez lube are a lot easier to do. remember to jack the wheel off the ground and slowly turn it while adding grease. you will know if you have easy lube wheel bearing if you see a grease fitting nipple under the cap at the end of the axle. if not you can repack them yourself ,i highly recommend a bearing repacking tool as the flush out old grease while adding new. the job while not hard can be a tad messy so disposable gloves , and old clothes are a must lol. or bring them to local auto repair shop. oh almost forgot you need to have new grease seals on hand if you do it yourself and for that matter if the shop does it.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I figure what's really going to go wrong with a trailer aside from tire failure......The Wheel Bearings.

Some consider it over kill but I have the bearings packed before the first trip each year, which is generally February. I've done this each year for the past 8 years.

It's a nominal cost for peace of mind.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp