Do I need to winterize - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Do I need to winterize

This year we dewinterized our 13 foot Scamp and decided when we went to State Parks we were not going to fill up with water. It saves us time on the front end when we get there and no need to run the pump on back end dumping water to grey tank. So far it is working out well since we generally bring water and clean our pans at the water spouts at State Parks.

We do have the front toilet and we have just been filling 2 gallon water containers and pouring in toilet. We then dump black water when we leave.

The question we have is do we need to winterize this year.? We will have not flushed the toilet or run the sink or the shower or the water heater.

It would seem to me that if ther was moisture left in lines by winter it would have evaporated?

Let me know your thoughts as we are trying to streamline the whole process and spend more time camping.

Thanks

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post
This year we dewinterized our 13 foot Scamp and decided when we went to State Parks we were not going to fill up with water. It saves us time on the front end when we get there and no need to run the pump on back end dumping water to grey tank. So far it is working out well since we generally bring water and clean our pans at the water spouts at State Parks.

We do have the front toilet and we have just been filling 2 gallon water containers and pouring in toilet. We then dump black water when we leave.

The question we have is do we need to winterize this year.? We will have not flushed the toilet or run the sink or the shower or the water heater.

It would seem to me that if ther was moisture left in lines by winter it would have evaporated?

Let me know your thoughts as we are trying to streamline the whole process and spend more time camping.

Thanks

Scott
Water does not evaporate inside of a sealed tank or plumbing pipes. You need open air for evaporation. But if they were drained and no extra water entered into the system after you winterized then they would not need it done again. Never hurts to check though.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
In the Fall I drain all tanks. I then use a small compressor to blow out all water lines. If there is no water left in the system you should be okay. I also leave a small heater plugged in, and set at about 55 F. If you do not want to use a heater you will have to make sure items such as sink traps and toilets are completely free of water. Alternatively you can add anti freeze to any place water may be trapped.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
If you are sure there is not water in the system, then you can probably get away without winterizing. On a side note when you say, "we clean our pans at the water spouts at State Parks," i hope you are not actually cleaning dirty dishes right at the spout. There are signs at most parts I've been to that warn you not to do this, it contaminates the water source, especially if its a well source.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Hopefully using a designated dish washing station! Seriously, winterizing really doesn't take long once you are familiar with it. It seems a shame to lose the convenience of the onboard water system just to avoid a 30 minute job once a year....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
If you are sure there is not water in the system, then you can probably get away without winterizing. On a side note when you say, "we clean our pans at the water spouts at State Parks," i hope you are not actually cleaning dirty dishes right at the spout. There are signs at most parts I've been to that warn you not to do this, it contaminates the water source, especially if its a well source.
It's running water and people will use running water to wash dishes. I have observed people washing dirty dishes and pans while looking at a sign that says don't do that. They just don't seem to care about others.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #7

Registry
There's some things about freezing that seem to be misunderstood. If you're in an area where there's long periods of really cold weather then you need to make sure the water system is drained. A little bit of water is OK as long as there room for expansion. In areas when it gets down below freezing at night you're already pretty well protected with a full water system. It takes a lot of cold to freeze a full fresh water tank. Here's a little experiment for you to try in the fall when it starts getting cold. Put bowl of water outside leave it open to the sky. Place another bowl beside it with cover over it. Then see which one freezes and which one doesn't.

Also note how long it takes to freeze ice cubes in for freezer.

I would never put that pink stuff in my fresh water system.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I would never put that pink stuff in my fresh water system.

Sure hope you never eat ice cream then. That same anti-freeze is used in ice cream and many other food products.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The pink stuff is non-toxic, but it tastes funny and can be a pain (and requires a fair bit of water) to flush the remnants out. With a really simple water system such as Byron and I have in our non-bath 13'ers, it's not needed on the fresh water side. I used to put a little in the sink drain to protect the trap, but we haven't used our on-board water system in five years, so no winterizing for us.

Scott, you'll probably want to put some RV antifreeze in your toilet. Ohio can get pretty cold in the winter. You want to protect the plastic parts in the toilet and keep the seals from drying out. I'm thinking put a couple of cups in, flush it down and then put another cup in the bowl to sit through the winter. As long as the fresh water tank, lines, and pump are completely blown dry, you shouldn't have any issues there. Not sure whether there are consequences in letting the 12V pump sit dry and unused for a long period. I assume you don't have a water heater.

As to dishwashing, I'll suggest asking when you check in. One place we camp wants you to put grey water in the drains under the water faucets, which are connected to the sewer system. Another has designated dishwashing stations at the bathhouses. Some require it to be collected in a closed tank- onboard in some locations, in others a blue boy on the ground is acceptable- and emptied into a dump station. Other places still permit dispersing small quantities of grey water on the ground, but it's a good practice to remove food scraps to avoid attracting unwanted critters and disturbing natural feeding patterns. Rules and best practices vary depending on the location, so it's always courteous to ask if you do not have a fully self-contained trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

Name: Warren
Trailer: 1979 17' Boler
British Columbia
You do want to ensure you have some anti-freeze in the p-traps. You’ll have one under the toilet and at least one on the grey water side.

A hard freeze can split them nicely.
Warren Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
You do want to ensure you have some anti-freeze in the p-traps. You’ll have one under the toilet ....
Dont think so.

(OP's Scamp)

Although IMHO some AF in the bowl would be a good idea.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
pink antifreeze in my icecream???

Glenn, You are ruining my appetite for ice cream. When My aunt made ice cream years ago I had to turn the crank, but I don't remember her putting antifreeze in it!
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
RV toilets don't have a trap, they dump straight into the black tank.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #14

British Columbia
"RV toilets don't have a trap, they dump straight into the black tank."

I will have to check on that -- I believe I have seen p-traps on both of my Bolers. I don't understand how you would keep the smell from the sewage from floating back up the sewer line without a p-trap.

Maybe a different technology -- I will look this afternoon: I am puzzled now!
Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
there's a flap/seal at the bottom of the toilet that opens when you flush. At least on the Thetfords I've seen in my 08 casita, my 14 escape, and various other RVs I've been in.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #16

British Columbia
Well, that was certainly interesting.

I just looked under my 1980 Neonex Boler and there is only one p-trap -- for the grey water. It looks like the folks who said there is no p-trap on the sewage side are right. The toilet seal (and the small pool of water that forms over it) seem to be adequate to prevent sewage gases from burping up into the unit.

I knew I had dealt with a p-trap issue on my 1978 17 foot Boler, but even the plumbing schematic of the toilet shows no p-trap on the black water side.

(I doubt it will affect my winterizing routine, however, as I do want some antifreeze in the unit anywhere water can accumulate).

I might be using an over-kill approach, but a friend of mine who owns a travel trailer and is a plumber recommended I do it the way he does:

1. Blow the water out of the lines
2. Pump antifreeze into the system
3. Blow the antifreeze out of the system and leave all the taps open

That way any little pools of water have antifreeze in them, but there is very little left in the system to flush out in the spring.

(Just wish it flushed out quicker!)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Check this out

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/HepVo...C12F370601B4D6

Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #18

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kiernan View Post
In the Fall I drain all tanks. I then use a small compressor to blow out all water lines. If there is no water left in the system you should be okay. I also leave a small heater plugged in, and set at about 55 F. If you do not want to use a heater you will have to make sure items such as sink traps and toilets are completely free of water. Alternatively you can add anti freeze to any place water may be trapped.
I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance. When you say water lines, are you referring to supply lines only, or drain lines as well? I'm curious as it seems blowing out the black water tank would be...unpleasant at best. My inclination would be to dump it and pour antifreeze down the toilet.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #19

Mid Left Coast
they mean the fresh water lines. if you thorougly drain the grey and black tanks, what little moisture is left won't matter if it freezes.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance. When you say water lines, are you referring to supply lines only, or drain lines as well? I'm curious as it seems blowing out the black water tank would be...unpleasant at best. My inclination would be to dump it and pour antifreeze down the toilet.
Actually a very good question.

The holding tanks are no worry, just drain them. But there are some drain lines on some models that require attention. For example, some Scamps have a pump that moves the shower drain water to the holding tank which is higher than the shower pan. You do need to add some antifreeze to the drain and turn on the pump to get it to flow through the pump which could be damaged by freezing water. Also it seems to be generally advised to pour a little antifreeze into the drains, esp if it is a trap drain. One thing for sure.. it wont hurt.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote