Dometic 211 refrigerator not cooling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Dometic 211 refrigerator not cooling

So I bought a 1980 scamp that was in fairly good condition. I have replaced the seals on 2 leaking widows and removed and retaped etc the vent. The problem that I am currently having is the freezer makes ice, so it is cold and working, but the fridge is warm. It doesn't seem to be cooling at all. Any ideas on this or tricks that I may not be up on? It can be ran on gas or elect. and I first tried gas and left it on all night. I am now in the process of trying elect, but too soon to tell.

Thanks!
JHayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Here is where a interior circulating fan would help. Also, there is a heat sink on the side of the freezer. Make sure that is not blocked.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks David. I will look and see if I can find the sink you are talking about.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The freezer freezes so its working. have you placed a large container of water in the fridge so you can actually measure what is getting cold inside. a small empty box will not feel cold once you open the door. its not like the thermal mass of your fridge at home. The small fridge is better at keeping something cold than making something cold.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

For some reason it seems to work much better on electric than on gas. It did cool off and get the water cold. Since this is my first go around with an RV refrigerator, I was probably expecting more. Your explanation helps a lot! Thank you for taking the time to clue me in.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
I usually put a 2 liter bottle of frozen water in the fridge. It really helps.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Your model of Dometic frig probably has two separate thermostat knobs; one for when on gas, and one for when on electric. Check to see if the gas one is set too low.

Since you get ice in the freezer, you are way ahead of the game and have a working frig that just could use some fine-tuning.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
If your freezer is freezing you are good to go - an empty frdge in an RV never works well - the fuller the better performance .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator