Door came off in my hand: 2018 Scamp 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp '19
Maine
Door came off in my hand: 2018 Scamp 19

We bought the deluxe camper new, and this was our 5th camping trip (life got in the way of camping). After driving about 20 miles on a well-maintained dirt road (the Golden Road in Maine), going less than 30 mph, we arrived at the campground, parked the camper, unlocked the door, and it came off in my hands.

The bolt in the top hinge was gone!

We used the pin from the hitch until the next day, when my husband drove 3 hrs, round trip, to the nearest hardware store, and returned with a substitute. The next day, we drove home.

This is just a sample of what we have gone through (bad fridge, stove, leaks). I keep calling our camping trips, "The Shake-down Cruise", but this is discouraging and exhausting.

How much more can go wrong?

Is it a myth that RVing is easier than tent camping?
Kathy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I went to open the screen door on our 2018 trailer one day and it fell off , landed on the ground , bending the door frame and tearing the screen
They had attached the screen door with sheet metal screws , screwed into thin soft aluminum .
Every time we go camping , in the back of my mind , I wonder what will fail / break next
The notion that stick built trailers are the only trailers that are thrown together is proving to be false
Hopefully someday you will get everything to work properly but in the ten years we have owned a FG trailer we have failed to reach that point !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Its possible that someone removed the bolt trying to gain entry, but got scared off before they did. As you might know, even if the door is locked, one can gain entry by removing the hinge bolts on the outside.

For replacement parts for the door hinge see the scamp site or BETTER yet..
https://www.campingtreasures.com/pro...ge-repair-kit/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Maine
A total change of mindset. I'm going to assemble a tool kit for the camper and store some redundancies. Tomorrow I'll be checking out the roof and calling the RV repair shop and checking if anything is still under warranty. And taking a nap to make up for the sleep I missed! What a reality check.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #5

Maine
Thanks for the link!

I had not considered that someone would have tried to remove the bolt. We store it at our house, so I may need to add some security features to it, such as a Simply Safe sensor. A large German Shepherd would be even better.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We own a 13' Scamp deluxe we ordered from Scamp in 2007. We have also owned 10 other RV's over the past 30 years. These units have ranged all the way from a Jayco popup to 3 different Class A diesel pushers. My answer to your "question" about RV life being easier than tenting? NO, It's 10, no wait, 100 times more complicated. I could write a book about our RV experiences which would include taking months and many trips to Alabama to get our Allegro Bus fixed due to many pages of issues. Our Monaco Dynasty was the same, to the degree that I once told my best friend when he bought his first diesel pusher--"put a 1,000 dollar bill in the corner of your wallet when you leave home and if you have anything left after fixing your Bus on a Winter trip, count yourself LUCKY!"
I'm not complaining, mine you, just sharing our 30 year experiences and suggesting that when you own an RV, a new mind set needs to occur if you are going to truly enjoy the experience. We wouldn't trade a minute of the time we've spent traveling this beautiful country. We feel blessed because of all the people we've met and become friends with. Issues and problems are just going to happen, get over itI Don't let issues get in the way to enjoying this wonderful lifestyle!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Door came off in my hand: 2018 Scamp 19

Does your 2018 have the newer black strap hinges...

Name:   2CD3052D-6E39-4238-8584-0833461419A1.jpeg
Views: 363
Size:  5.2 KB

... or the older mill-grey ball hinges?

Name:   A88C802E-2BE5-49B3-99AF-13FB4A92BF56.jpeg
Views: 363
Size:  6.6 KB

I ask because early versions of the black hinges were defective, and Scamp seems to be giving free replacements regardless of warranty status. The black hinges were introduced sometime during the 2018 model run.

The way you describe the missing bolt does sound more like an old ball hinge, though. I’ve never heard of the bolt coming out unless it was helped. It’s actually a very sound design, and Ian Giles’ enhanced rebuild kit makes it even better.

And yes, it seems like there’s always something needing attention. The saving grace of our Scamp is its extreme simplicity (we have a very basic 13’er). Our hand-me-down Roadtrek Class B on the other hand...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Murphy's Law aside, the good news is ... you are fiberglass trailer camping ... in Maine!
Attached Images

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yes. Constant work.

Made more frustrating if you have a newer model with an expectation of no problems. I have a 91, so I kind of expect it.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
That's not good the hear about the "shake down" problems you are having. We bought a 19ft Deluxe in 2016 and have had no problems except with our fridge, we're on our 3rd one. Scamp was excellent in looking after us and replaced the fridges even though it was Dometic's problem to deal with. I tried here at home but the service center here was lousy and Dometic was no help. On the plus side I learnt a lot about these fridges and dealing with service people. Any dealings I've had with Scamp have been very good.
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Camper View Post
We bought the deluxe camper new, and this was our 5th camping trip (life got in the way of camping). After driving about 20 miles on a well-maintained dirt road (the Golden Road in Maine), going less than 30 mph, we arrived at the campground, parked the camper, unlocked the door, and it came off in my hands.

The bolt in the top hinge was gone!

We used the pin from the hitch until the next day, when my husband drove 3 hrs, round trip, to the nearest hardware store, and returned with a substitute. The next day, we drove home.

This is just a sample of what we have gone through (bad fridge, stove, leaks). I keep calling our camping trips, "The Shake-down Cruise", but this is discouraging and exhausting.

How much more can go wrong?

Is it a myth that RVing is easier than tent camping?
I truly believe Casita has a better product. We have a 2007 17' Casita and so far the only real problem has been the hot water heater wires got pulled apart when we pulled our power cord out and the propane detector never worked right. We've kept up the maintenance such as wheel bearings, tires that were 6 years old replaced, etc. We clean the fridge back, blow out the furnace and clean the hot water heater. So far we've had great trips. People who drive to fast, drive with trailer unlevel, don't maintain their rig are the ones with the most problems. We also have a 2012 23 ft motorhome that the worst thing has been the plastic refrigerator hinge on the fridge part broke. We had one made of flat steel that went half way across the bottom of the door and it works better than and is stronger than the original. We also take care of it like we do the Casita. I cringe when I hear people say their tires are 10 years old and they wonder if they should have them checked. No they need replaced at 6-7 years no matter what they look like or how much tread they have on them. We've done 2 trips to Alaska at 10,000 miles each time plus many cross country trips with both rigs and have thoroughly had great times. Sometimes you get a lemon and have to get rid of it. We've done that recently with our tow vehicle. When things keep falling apart then it is a lemon.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I truly believe Casita has a better product. We have a 2007 17' Casita and so far the only real problem has been the hot water heater wires got pulled apart when we pulled our power cord out and the propane detector never worked right. We've kept up the maintenance such as wheel bearings, tires that were 6 years old replaced, etc. We clean the fridge back, blow out the furnace and clean the hot water heater. So far we've had great trips. People who drive to fast, drive with trailer unlevel, don't maintain their rig are the ones with the most problems. We also have a 2012 23 ft motorhome that the worst thing has been the plastic refrigerator hinge on the fridge part broke. We had one made of flat steel that went half way across the bottom of the door and it works better than and is stronger than the original. We also take care of it like we do the Casita. I cringe when I hear people say their tires are 10 years old and they wonder if they should have them checked. No they need replaced at 6-7 years no matter what they look like or how much tread they have on them. We've done 2 trips to Alaska at 10,000 miles each time plus many cross country trips with both rigs and have thoroughly had great times. Sometimes you get a lemon and have to get rid of it. We've done that recently with our tow vehicle. When things keep falling apart then it is a lemon.
We’ve owned three FG trailers ( Scamp , Casita , Escape ) The Casita was the by far the best of the three . In six years of owning our Casita all we ever did was replace the original tires , grease the wheel bearings , wash and wax the gel coat ,oil the hinges ,replace the battery , refill the propane tanks and normal maintenance . The trailer was bulletproof. Foolishly we decided we needed a bigger and we continue to pay for our poor decision
Our Casita might not have been the fanciest trailer on the market, but it sure was reliable & dependable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:20 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I have a 1989 Bigfoot for that was a 70's Boler. I expect problems watch for them and try and be proactive. Just part of owning an old trailer. I see plenty of people with new ones that have as many or more problems which is part of the reason I don't see myself buying new.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
I truly believe Casita has a better product.
Well.....umm, obviously, you own one. And some people truly believe the world is flat. If you owned an Oliver, a Bigfoot, or some other brand you would likely be singing a different tune. Most everyone who owns a Scamp will tell you the same thing. Years ago, Maytag was reputed to be the best and most reliable appliance brand and in those days the Maytag repairman was probably “the loneliest man in the world.” However, not everyone owned Maytag appliances, in many cases, because their Amana, Lady Kenmore, Whirlpool, etc. appliances were what they chose to buy, and even if they were not as reliable as a Maytag, owners generally defended their purchases, some with much more zeal than the product might have deserved. I’m not saying that Casita is not a better product; what I am saying is “define better.” Better. is in many cases, only a personally conceived and believed mental concept. But the bottom line is that one’s happiness is important and you are happy with your Casita. May it serve you well for many years!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Well.....umm, obviously, you own one. And some people truly believe the world is flat. If you owned an Oliver, a Bigfoot, or some other brand you would likely be singing a different tune. Most everyone who owns a Scamp will tell you the same thing. !
Truth. And people that didn't like their Casita, like me, moved on to another brand. My main problem with the Casita was the floor plan, not so much the construction. And calling the beds in the Liberty "twins" is ridiculous as they are just slightly over HALF the width of a traditional twin. I learned a front bathroom is not for me.

When you read of the problems people have with brand new Airstreams, or a Forest River camper of some kind, you have to cringe.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Truth. And people that didn't like their Casita, like me, moved on to another brand. My main problem with the Casita was the floor plan, not so much the construction. And calling the beds in the Liberty "twins" is ridiculous as they are just slightly over HALF the width of a traditional twin. I learned a front bathroom is not for me.

When you read of the problems people have with brand new Airstreams, or a Forest River camper of some kind, you have to cringe.

I had a 2011 EggCamper and it was flawless. Needing a better sleeping arrangement than the EggCamper’s dinette bed for one that was too short for an adult, I sold it and bought a 2015 Escape 19 which has been flawless except for the fridge needing a new fuse. My son will eventually inherit it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

AGREED! A couple of examples of the problems you suggest others have with brand new, VERY expensive units, is evident in my post above!!!
Old 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #18

Name: Sgmhgg
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
I have never owned a Scamp, but our 2019 Casita is an awesome trailer. In 2 years the only problem was a loose hose clamp at the water pump was dripping. Half turn with a nut driver and problem solved. We also have a stick trailer parked at our lake lot for weekend use, no comparison to the quality of our Casita.
Sgmhgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #19

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Our 2017 5.0TA has been almost over trouble free. The problem we have now is it’s sitting in our driveway. Dam 🦠 ....
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
Calling it a "shake down trip" is a jinx...

Thanks for your post, it is good to know we're not the only ones playing this game.

I'm pretty handy, and I spend a lot of time pre-prepping for our trips, but there is ALWAYS something that goes wrong, and I now expect it. With the exception of out grey-tank, I've had hands on virtually every part of our trailer, and have been slowly reworking much of it to better fit our needs.

With that said, I feel pretty confident in saying a fiberglass clamshell is probably one of the better platforms out there. I also honestly don't see any significant quality differences between Escape, Calista, and Scamp.

Yea, there are some things a detailed list will give advantage to one or another, but on the whole, from a do-it-yourself-repair perspective, they are all the most upgradable, maintainable, repairable small campers on the market.

You can spend a lot more for a Sol or a Oliver, but in the price range these fall in, you'll actually have something that will last decades.
Berthaduniverse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp