drilling into the floor of my trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Trillium Outback
Alberta
drilling into the floor of my trillium

Is it safe to attach something to the floor of a Trillium (2002)? As I understand, the floor is fibreglass wrapped plywood, so on the one hand it seems like it should be OK; but on the other hand I'm just so hesitant to puncture the fibreglass and expose any wood.

We have the front bunk option, but on this model the bottom seat has a gap in the middle, making it adaptable for a front dinette. We are considering installing a marine style table there.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Anything to be cautious of? My inexperienced opinion is that it should be fine if I don't drill all the way through, and if I seal it to prevent moisture from getting into the plywood.

Appreciate any feedback. I've searched the forums and have found tons of threads about converting a bunk to a dinette, but none using this option.
Mr.DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita and Escape have encapsulated floors, and they both install pedestal mounts for tables. So yes, with care it can be done.

However, I would at least investigate alternatives such as the Lagun table mount. Lagun is pricey, but I have never been a fan of pedestal mounts anyway, and I would personally rather not put any more holes in an encapsulated floor.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the floor is only 3/4 inch, just make sure there is no tank underneath
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
However, I would at least investigate alternatives such as the Lagun table mount. Lagun is pricey, but I have never been a fan of pedestal mounts anyway, and I would personally rather not put any more holes in an encapsulated floor.
I picked up a "knock off" copy of a Lagun mount on Ebay. It was half of what a Lagun mount would have been. The quality was great. But regretfully the seller does not have any listings now. But watch Ebay and do not hesitate to make a offer at a lower price. I got a table top from Ikea.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #5

Name: Phil
Trailer: Trillium Outback
Alberta
Thanks. I'll look at Lagun. Although one issue is I do want to drop the tabletop to back into the gap when a third bed is more important than a dinette, and I don't think the Lagun can do that. Another option is to just install foldable legs to the underside of the table and use it free standing when it isn't in bed/couch mode.

But yeah I should keep drilling to a minimum I guess.
Mr.DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
This is our set up. The metal one is used when the table is for eating and the wooden one is for when the table is down. There is an earth magnet on the underside of the table that holds the wooden one up out of the way.

We changed the way the metal one works as it had a number of height settings. We pulled the leg apart, turned the leg around, and drilled a new hole so that it now only has one setting at the perfect height. The metal leg is to tall to be used when the table is down.

The back of the table is mounted to the wall in the same manner as the rear table.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3219.jpg   2.jpg  

Old 03-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Hi I have a 1975 trillium that i bought NEW. They are strong.
If you are worried about puncturing the fiber glass floor to secure your table stand, then i would suggest that you drill the holes for the table stand mounting plate all the way through . then get of make a flat steel plate with drilled holes to place on the outside of the trailer, and secure the tablestand and plate with stainless bolts , lockwashers and nuts. It would also be a good idea to place a hard rubber gasket, and some silicone sealant between the plate and the fiberglass on the the outside of the trailer. Good luck.
Francis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #8

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
If you have a Trillium Outback built in the Calgary area from 2002 the floor is not 3/4". Mine is 2004 and I removed mine last summer because it was saturated with water and it was more likely 1/2" - 5'8" OSB. I installed 3/4" and it's noticeably thicker. Long story for another thread.

However I have a pedestal table in that same spot, and the mount was originally screwed to the floor and it worked fine, even with the floor soft and rotted. Now it's a new floor it's much better. I think the screws that I removed from the mount when re-doing the floor were 5/8".
Old 03-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
If you have a Trillium Outback built in the Calgary area from 2002 the floor is not 3/4". Mine is 2004 and I removed mine last summer because it was saturated with water and it was more likely 1/2" - 5'8" OSB. I installed 3/4" and it's noticeably thicker. Long story for another thread.
From reputation. it could also be whatever they had laying around.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #10

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
From reputation. it could also be whatever they had laying around.
I can only speak for my own experiences but team trillium has been nothing but helpful to me over the years. The issues I've had are mostly from the past owner(s) and the odd mistake I've made, all I've fixed myself. Regardless, the OP shouldn't have any issues installing his table so long as the floor is intact.

Tags
trillium