Dual propane tanks for uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
I am a new owner of an 84 uhaul 13. I havn't even picked it up yet but I see from various pictures that the tongue is very narrow and it looks like it may be difficult to mount a second propane tank thereon.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this who would share particulars. Photo would be a plus!
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I am a new owner of an 84 uhaul 13. I havn't even picked it up yet but I see from various pictures that the tongue is very narrow and it looks like it may be difficult to mount a second propane tank thereon.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this who would share particulars. Photo would be a plus!
Aaahhh - that's easy- just go to your friend's sticky, and take their dual propane bracket. Then bolt it on your tongue in the same spot your single is. It then sticks out a little on each side, but viola, two tank capicity. (See photo) I put mine in the area where the battery was since I don't have a battery, but it could be forward- just make sure it won't interfere when backing... I carry one tank in the summer and when hunting season comes along (and the heater is going) I put two on. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY1179__Small_.JPG  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
I had a second "ring" welded onto the "tower." Once you get your UHaul, you will see what I mean. The standard 2-tank holders will not work here. I'll post a pic soon. - Ami
Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
The standard 2-tank holders will not work here...
As Ami notes, the tongue of a U-haul is just one single bar that runs back to the rear axle. So there's no "triangle" like on other trailers. There is a pillar onto which a tank with ring and bracket fits - it's kind of like a cartridge. I assume this was so that U-haul could change them quickly; they could have had a number of spare "cartridges" standing by.

Here's a photo of one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uhaul_tongue.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	23574
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Then too, if weight is a concern, you may want to consider how much propane you really need based on the time of year, how long you'll be camping, and what appliance you'll run on propane. One full 20# tank has been said to last a month... not running the furnace full-time however. I like Larry's solution, one tank in the summer, two in the winter... because of the furnace.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Congratulations on the purchase of your Uhaul.
You may want to wait and see just how much you really need a second tank. We do most of our cooking outdoors, and don't have a furnace, and as a result the trailer tank gets little use and can last a long time between fillings, OR ends up getting used as a replacement for the home BBQ. With two tanks and a big battery on the tongue, I think that there would be too much weight to handle. I have thought of switching to two 10 lb tanks though. One for the trailer and one for the portable stove.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
It seems that the problem arises when a single tank is used and emptied, you then have to get it filled NOW. Even with two smaller tanks you can switch out and have one filled while using the other. The alternative is to keep a spare in my van, but I am kinda askeered to have that bomb inside with me.

I am also considering getting another/bigger battery. The location in a uhaul is under the rear seat. Another tank would help balance the load.

Yes, I know I am getting ahead of myself as I have yet to go get the camper, but my mind wanders over the intangible. Even though I am retired, I can't escape being in Planning mode.

I am also considering replacing the factory solar panel with a newer/larger/moe modern one. The one on it now probably dosn't work after all these years anyhow.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
On my Scamp 16' i have one propane tank only and for emergecy i have buy a "STEAK SAVER ADAPTOR "
It's a one one pound bottle adaptor to use on standard tank adaptor
Steak saver

Witn this we take a one pound bottle or more for spare and you have the time to refil your 20 pounds bottle and you don't put extra weight on your trailer

Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Is there anything to stop one from filling a single tank before it gets empty? Does one have to wait for it to run out before topping it off or filling it again?

(I've only used a system with two 10# tanks, so then did wait until one ran out to fill it; so I don't know. But that wasn't RV-ing, where it seems like there is often access to fill places.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
No problem filling a partially empty/full tank. Here in CA if one goes to a station and has a tank topped off the only charge is for the gas dispensed. I have heard that some stations charge a flat fee for a refill - something to be aware of. So far we have only been charged for the gas we get...

If you exchange tanks you loose the propane you had left.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
All propane filling facilities in our area charge full price wether the tank is empty or 3/4 full.Also the price to fill a five,ten,or twenty tank in the same rate.We have a gage on our tank that drops from green display to yellow,(think about getting a fill soon) to light red almost empty,to dark red about five minutes of fuel left.Haven't run out yet although had a couple of close calls when hubby forgot to check the gage .
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Is there anything to stop one from filling a single tank before it gets empty?
Depending on the filling station you go to, there is either a flat fee for filling a tank (approximately the price of filling a completely empty one) or at the KOA I frequent, the price per gallon decreases in steps the more you by at a time (volume discount). They do have a 3 gallon minimum sale requirement, so if the tank gets filled with only 1 or 2 gallons, you pay for 3.

A "20 pound" tank holds about 4.5 gallons of propane when filled to the 80% legal limit. I get a much better price if I wait until I have 3 empty tanks before I go buy propane.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Frederick, how do you carry the three tanks to the station and back?

I generally don't like them inside the car with me, and also need to keep them upright and secured so they don't topple when starting, stopping, or turning.

I would like to know how to better handle the tank refilling chore.

Thanks!
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Frederick, how do you carry the three tanks to the station and back?
Most of the time, I hitch up the trailer and haul it to the KOA, leaving 2 tanks riding in their usual place on the tongue. I use a Tank Foot to keep the 3<sup>RD</sup> tank upright on the floor in the (2<sup>ND</sup> row) back seat area of my Minivan.

When I Google'd "Tank Foot" to find the above link, I also found "Tank Nanny" and I think I'm going to get one of those!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You may be surprised about the solar panel. They seem to last forever on the UHauls! However, you may want a more powerful one. We don't currently use ours, so I don't know about its output.

Quote:
I am also considering replacing the factory solar panel with a newer/larger/moe modern one. The one on it now probably dosn't work after all these years anyhow.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I put my 20lb.tank in a square milk crate and then put a seat belt around it.

I also ran into the RV place charging full fill price no matter how much is in it.

I checked at a propane Co. and they do partial's at 84 cents a gallon.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, u-haul, uhaul