Dumb Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2002, 06:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dumb Question

This is probably a dumb question ... but I'm interested in an older Scamp, Boler or Trillium ... maybe a Casita or Burro. Ok, I'd like one of each :) .

Ok, my dumb question: are the older fiberglass trailers all "self contained," complete with baths, etc?

If you have an older trailer, could you please post the details of your set-ups.

Thanks

Ruth

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:45 PM   #2

Dumb Question

1977 Scamp 13'.

Portapotty (which I have never used) Shower outside with a bag of water on the roof. I took the ice box out and made some drawers for stuff.

I'm just a weekender so it's fine.

Old 10-01-2002, 06:52 PM   #3

fittings on older trailers

No, they aren't. The original 13' everythings came in a basic model that might have had a sink, propane range, fresh water tank and a place to store a Porta-Potti. Many didn't even have batteries for lights.

My 1991 Scamp 13 has a ten gallon tank, a hand pump at sink, propane range, a place to put the potti and an icebox, plus it has a battery and is wired for shore power.

Bear in mind that a built-in toilet generally requires pressurized water and a blackwater holding tank (and the fittings to empty it).

Additionally, a shower requires a water heater , more fresh water capacity and a graywater tank.

there are pros and cons to having this stuf aboard, but the earlier little guys were kinda sparse in mod cons.

Pete and Rats

Old 10-01-2002, 08:06 PM   #4

81' Burro 13 ft.

No bathroom, shower,hot water,battery, air cond.
Has 8 or ten gallon tank ( not sure, never measured) with pump and city water hookup,refrigerator,sink,110v,two burner propane stove.
Well, maybe next year I'll have the battery, I already built a new breaker box for 110 and 12vdc.

We use one of those bucket type porta pottys, mainly for middle of the night use for the wife. Otherwise I would have to get up and walk her to the bathroom, because of critters and stuff I guess.
It's easy enough to dump.

I don't really miss the bathroom and shower ( used to have a 28' Terry ). I do miss the air at times ( like this summer 98 degrees for a week)
I think its a great trailer and yes I wish I had one of each too.

Old 10-02-2002, 05:39 AM   #5

Only dumb question

Ruth, there is no such thing as a dumb question! Yours is a good one.

I noticed that there are a lot of new members, with a wide variety of well-used trailers ... hopefully they will all chime in to answer your question!

I also think it's GREAT that there are so many vintage models of our beloved fiberglass trailers still on the road.

I'm sure they will share their knowledge and their trailer specifics!

Old 10-02-2002, 08:33 AM   #6

No dumb questions here

Ruth - Since I am fairly new on this scene (as compared to some of the real pros here), there's seldom a question that I can answer, so thanks for asking. :wiggly

I have an 89' Casita, 16' SD. It is self contained, but not with the capacities that the newer units have. I have the same bathroom (as the newer Casita), but have a smaller black water tank. I have no gray water tank so the shower and sink either go onto the ground or need a separate portable tank. I do have a fresh water tank and an on-demand pump. I have A/C, but it is in the rear window and can only be used when I am plugged into electricity (no 12V). My fridge is either gas or 12V (no plugging into the electricity when at home or campground). As far as the Casitas go, the thing about my '89 that I like, is that it is lighter weight than the newer ones.

There are a lot of great things about all fiberglass trailers. You can go from the stripped-down diminutive (which can be wonderful if they can service your needs) to the decked out biggies. It all depends on what you want/need and what your tow vehicle will be. Regardless of what you choose, I know you're gonna love having a fiberglass trailer!

Old 10-02-2002, 08:41 AM   #7

Trilliums with showers

Some rare 13' Trilliums came with toilets, most just have porta potties though. There was also 15' Trilliums that came with toilets and showers but these are rare also.

I also saw a 13' Trillium advertised as having toilet and shower but somebody may have added the shower as I'm sure they didn't come with them.:hap2

Our 75 Trillium has 2 burner stove, sink, fresh water tank, did have 3 way fridge, shelves above the window, 110v and 12v is separate. It has the bunk at the front.
:ola

Old 10-02-2002, 10:50 AM   #8

Thanks you all so much

Thank you all so much! I'm hoping others add their information also.

My husband was able to find information about vintage airstream and when they added 3 tanks ... but not much on fiberglass trailers.

This site will grow into such a valuable resource for everyone!

I'd like to hear from some others.

Old 10-02-2002, 06:41 PM   #9

layout

we have an '88 5th wheel with only a toilet. No shower, no hot water, no gray water tank. We don't really miss those things we've had larger units like 28ft Travco with all those things and to tell the truth I have never drawn hot water form a tap or used the onboard shower. To much trouble, easier to use the campground stuff. The units can come with those things in the 16 and 19ft models but don't have to.

Old 10-03-2002, 05:03 AM   #10

all that water stuff

BUT if your main camping is where they do not have campground stuff AND there are people everywhere so you can't create an outside unit THEN you will need something inside. :red OR that's my argument. At my last 'stay away from home' that was what I surmized. The porta-potty in the middle of the trailer was not the answer. But then, doug, you said you have a toilet. that's the answer. the shower can be the old method of bowl of heated water and a rag.

Old 10-03-2002, 05:20 AM   #11

set up

I have a 14ft trailer. at the moment it has a double bed and two bunks, similer to the boler. no bath at all, no porta potty storage of any kind.:sad I was hunting a trailer that was small but not too small. the 13s were a little narrow in the bed department and if I rearranged I didn't have room for a long enough bed running the length of the trailer. The 14s extra 10" is just barely big enough but will make it. my friend thinks it is perfect the way it is, but just you wait. I plan to use the Casita twin bed idea that can become a king. Saw pictures from a fellow Okie yesterday. :reye2 Bath on the side, kitchen in the front. There are Sursides out there with this floorplan, but they don't have a shower just a 'sitting' room. I may or maynot have hot water. haven't desided, I will have a 'sitting' room for toliet but with a floor drain for a sprayer of somekind, pump up or hanging maybe. I can see it in my head and plan to do it this winter. Hope it's not still a pipe dream by spring. There I don't think I forgot anything. Now I'll work on getting pictures. :jester

Old 10-03-2002, 12:03 PM   #12

As far as showers go, don't overlook one of the aftermarket propane or campfire water heaters and either a portable shower curtain or the use of a bathing suit.

Pete and Rats

Old 10-03-2002, 06:25 PM   #13

outside shower

I had forgotten about those heaters, but the outside part woul not work in my instance. I 'camp' manly at Pow Wows. An outside shower is not be a good answer. But the water heaters need to be considered.

Old 10-05-2002, 09:08 AM   #14

Not-so-dumb question

Ruth, whether you want to go through the hassle of on-board plumbing will be determined by where you intend to go camping.
Rest assured that an older trailer that's equipped with toilet and shower facilities will quite likely exhibit those problems that can be associated with older plumbing anywhere.
Our 77 Trillium 4500 (15 feet) has no built in toilet but we carry a porta-potti (for those late night needs of herself) and we find that to be perfectly adequate. If we need a shower, we've got a black bag that can be hung from a tree.
I don't miss having to visit a dump station every few days or carting around the extra load of black and gray water tanks.
Doug