EggCamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #21

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Nice work Ron! I wonder if one could add Ikea drawers to the EggCamper. The metal full extension drawers.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40107080
John,

It looks like the shortest ikea is 15 inches. The cheapo drawer hardware had the advantage that I could cut the top channel to just about any length. For the EggCamper, I need to make each drawer to a custom size. For the one that I've done so far, I couldn't go beyond 12 inches due to the wheel well.
If I can move the heater successfully, I may be able to go deeper on the right side.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Quote:
Hi Art,
We're heading out for our first trip over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm adding a couple very simple drawers this week. Aside from that we can't think of much that is needed to make the egg camper comfortable.

Yes, we went with the electric model. We expect to be close to power wherever we are, but if we plan to be off the grid, I think we'll just use a small generator to keep things charged. Ours is also the layout with a permanent bed. The small side dinette is perfectly adequate for the times when we'll be dining inside. We expect to do most of the cooking and dining outside. However, coffee first thing in the morning is mandatory. So, the coffeemaker will be set to automatically turn on in the AM.

Ron
Ron,

I'm curious as to how your first outing went. How did all your equipment work? Changes you are thinking of making? ETC. We went to NC for the weekend and had a good time. Thinking of changing access cover under bed (but will probably never get to it). I like your drawer mod (should be very handy). Did you have a lot of people checkinge out your Eggcamper?

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

I'm curious as to how your first outing went. How did all your equipment work? Changes you are thinking of making? ETC. We went to NC for the weekend and had a good time. Thinking of changing access cover under bed (but will probably never get to it). I like your drawer mod (should be very handy). Did you have a lot of people checkinge out your Eggcamper?

Art
Hi art,

We had great weather, although chilly in the evenings. We put the little heater to good use, and it worked great. Everything worked and we were really comfortable all weekend. The only thing that we're thinking of changing is the blinds on the windows. We're thinking of curtains of some type instead, more as a preference than any problems with the blinds.

And, yes, we seemed to attract a lot of interest, both at the campground and on the road. People are amazed at the interior space for something that appears very compact from the outside.

What are you thinking about for the under-bed access?

Ron
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
One of the reasons I make my own drawers for our trailer is I can design them so they have high sides and a drawer bottom or panel that comes right over the sides, preventing stuff from jumping out while we're towing. The low sides of the Ikea drawers don't allow for that.

Quote:
Nice work Ron! I wonder if one could add Ikea drawers to the EggCamper. The metal full extension drawers.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40107080
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Hi art,

We had great weather, although chilly in the evenings. We put the little heater to good use, and it worked great. Everything worked and we were really comfortable all weekend. The only thing that we're thinking of changing is the blinds on the windows. We're thinking of curtains of some type instead, more as a preference than any problems with the blinds.

And, yes, we seemed to attract a lot of interest, both at the campground and on the road. People are amazed at the interior space for something that appears very compact from the outside.

What are you thinking about for the under-bed access?

Ron
Ron,

We put a feather matress on top of the existing matress, making it a little heavy (especially with 2 dogs laying on it) so I was thinking that rather than having the L shaped fiberglass swing up, it may be better to add wood to the top (like the back half), cut the top off the L, and have the front clip on somehow. What do you think?

Art
Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

We put a feather matress on top of the existing matress, making it a little heavy (especially with 2 dogs laying on it) so I was thinking that rather than having the L shaped fiberglass swing up, it may be better to add wood to the top (like the back half), cut the top off the L, and have the front clip on somehow. What do you think?

Art

Art,
With weight a concern, a plywood top might be lighter than the fiberglass tip-up. We have a roll-out plastic box under, but I suspect that something could be fashioned to create some more permanent (custom-fit) drawers without increasing the weight.

Ron
Old 06-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #27

More Eggcamper info,

Went to a Virginia campground last weekend, 97 Sat. and 98 Sun. The A/C worked well (only thing I noticed was the person farthest back in the bed doesn't get any breeze from the A/C). The awning was really nice to have on these hot days. Also the 1.7 cu ft refrigerator is terrific, cools down in 1/2 hr (empty). Put precooled food in and you're set to go. Just so you have an idea of how much this tiny refrige will hold this is what we loaded it with before the trip: 16 cans soda, 2 small cans juice, 1/2 gal juice, 6 eggs, 1/2 lb bacon, 1/4 lb butter, 1/2 head of lettuce, 2 steaks, bottle of steak sauce, 1 lb sandwich meat, mustard, and a gallon freezer bag 1/2 full of ice. (refrige was totally full) And everything stayed good and cold. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minor problems I have had since buying the Eggcamper. 1. noticed floor was wet at rear of camper after a very heavy rain, calked center rear overhead outside running light. Problem fixed. 2. Refrige stopped working while driving home on one trip (noticed power light not on). Problem was a plug-in connection was loose, had to use chanellocks to squeeze connection tight enough to lock. Problem fixed.

I could not find any buyer input on the Eggcamper when I was checking out f/g campers, so my hope is that these posts will be of help to others looking for info.

Art
Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I could not find any buyer input on the Eggcamper when I was checking out f/g campers, so my hope is that these posts will be of help to others looking for info.
One thing I'd really like to know is what your EggCamper weighs in at loaded and ready to go.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #29

Quote:
One thing I'd really like to know is what your EggCamper weighs in at loaded and ready to go.

Peter,

My unit was 2040 lb as titled +awning (40 lb ?), so I would guess 2350 lb +/- 50 lb. The Eggcamper is rated for 2500 lb, but the axel and tires are rated to carry 3500 lb (I believe Jim Palmer under rated the camper as a liability protection). Some day I'll take it to the scales and get an accurate weight.

Art
Attached Thumbnails
101_0069.JPG  
Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
We have come to distrust weights that don't originate from scales on this group because so many manufacturers under "estimated" the true weights to keep early small units under 1,000 lbs. Looking forward to some actual weights.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #31

Chuck,

Mattress size in the EggCamper is 75" X 53", but if it didn't have radiused corners the mattress could be 88" long. We fill the extra space with pillows. Nice and roomy.

Art
Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #32

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Art, thanks for the continuing updates on your EggCamper. Given how few of them Jim has sold so far, I'm sure many, MANY folks will find it valuable! Having really enjoyed my Burro, were I in the market for a new 17' trailer Jim and I would be chatting.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #33

Registry
Hi Art,

I tried responding to your email, but it wouldn't go.

We're getting ready to take our last trip of the season, the first weekend in October, up to the White Mountains.

So far, the only problem that we've had is the same leak that you found. We've had some serious driving rain storms this past summer. So, I used a silicon calk on all of the lights. The somewhat flush mounting of the lights is nice, but the rubber gaskets that surround the lenses don't make a really tight seal with the body of the trailer. I'm not sure which of the lights was the offending light, so I caulked them all.

The October trip will be the first one without hookups. I happened upon a guy running one of those small Honda generators the other day. I was impressed by how quiet they are. I'm tempted to pick one up and bring it along. Our Egg is the electric model, and we really like the drip coffee maker for morning coffee.

I still haven't added another drawer. I think we're learning to get along with one.

Ron
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #34

Just got back from 4 days &3 nights in Lancaster. Everything still working perfectly. Nights were low to mid 30's and the electric heater was great. Had no problem driving the back roads in the mountains and no problem driving home with heavy cross winds. Round trip averaged 15.6 MPG. We have spent 23 nights in our EggCamper so far and no regrets.

Art
Old 10-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #35

Trailer: Hallmark Truck Camper
Quote:
Just got back from 4 days &3 nights in Lancaster. Everything still working perfectly. Nights were low to mid 30's and the electric heater was great. Had no problem driving the back roads in the mountains and no problem driving home with heavy cross winds. Round trip averaged 15.6 MPG. We have spent 23 nights in our EggCamper so far and no regrets.

Art
Hi Art and Ron,

The wife and I are thinking about purchasing an all electric Egg Camper. Would like to see one here in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area, but probably not possible.
You folks seem to really like yours. Was wondering if you could give us wannabes some feedback on the all electric capabilities. What generator is suggested and where is it located on trailer? Is it noisy? How long will it run before refueling? While off grid, which appliances can be run without the generator and which appliances require a generator? I suppose the fridge, microwave, electric cook top, water heater, electric space heater, and A/C should all be utilized while generator is running since they draw so many amps. I assume that all appliances work well when hooked up to 110 voltage at a typical RV park.
Are the overall storage compartments for the EggCamper sufficient? Is access to beneath the permanent bed storage easily accessed, especially those underseat storage compartments?

Sorry for so many questions. Just hard to visualize some of the above applications.

Alyn
Alyn Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #36

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Hi Art and Ron,

The wife and I are thinking about purchasing an all electric Egg Camper. Would like to see one here in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area, but probably not possible.
You folks seem to really like yours. Was wondering if you could give us wannabes some feedback on the all electric capabilities. What generator is suggested and where is it located on trailer? Is it noisy? How long will it run before refueling? While off grid, which appliances can be run without the generator and which appliances require a generator? I suppose the fridge, microwave, electric cook top, water heater, electric space heater, and A/C should all be utilized while generator is running since they draw so many amps. I assume that all appliances work well when hooked up to 110 voltage at a typical RV park.
Are the overall storage compartments for the EggCamper sufficient? Is access to beneath the permanent bed storage easily accessed, especially those underseat storage compartments?

Sorry for so many questions. Just hard to visualize some of the above applications.

Alyn
Alyn

I came through Colorado Springs yesterday afternoon with my EggCamper. Was on my way back from a weekend meeting at Alamosa.

My EggCamper isn't the electric egg but if you want to look at it you are welcome to do so. I bought the "kit" version with no appliances or plumbing/electrical installed and built it out the way I wanted it. I have a posting on this forum about the buildout but haven't updated it lately (memo to self - Hey Orlen! Update the buildout thread!). I did see a couple of electric eggs under construction at the factory when I picked up mine so could give you some information about them.

I live in Golden near the I-70 C-470 intersection. I'll send you a PM with further information.

Orlen

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Hi Art and Ron,

Alyn

Alyn,

Suggested generator is the small 2000w Honda. It mounts on the frame between the battery and the egg (Jim has put angle iron on the frame where the generator can be mounted). I don't have a generator but I have heard it run and it is very quiet. You can check the Honda web site and get details. WITHOUT a generator you have: interior lights, refrigerator (Norcold dc-0040) which is 12v only and works fantastic, and the water pump. You will need a generator or other 120v power source for the: electric heater, air conditioner, electric water heater, microwave, and portable electric griddle (and coffee maker for the coffee drinkers). I use a small coleman gas griddle/grill outside in good weather and electric griddle inside in bad weather. We have more storage space than we can possibly use. The under bed front cover didn't work for me, because of the dogs, so I modified it. The under seat area on the driver's side is used up by the a/c, water tank, water pump, water heater. On the curb side it is empty but not easily accessable (I have never needed that space for storage). We have found the EggCamper to be just what we were hoping for, a simple, easy, trouble free, travel home.

Always glad to answer questions on the EggCamper,

Art
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #38

Registry
Hi Alyn,

I too have the all electric model, with the permnanent bed and small side dinette. As Art described it, the EggCamper has more storage than anyone could need. The area under the bed is spacious, but if I filled it up, I'd probably have to add weight to the front to keep the tongue weight up for towing.

We have the EU2000 Honda generator for off-grid use. I used it for the first time at the beginning of October in the White Mountains of NH. With no load on the generator, it is extremely quiet, but it does speak up a bit when you load it up. I think the 59 db that is advertised is un-loaded. But, with that said, it's still the quietest I've ever heard.

I can't speak to how long it will run on a tankfull. We haven't drained the first tank yet. We used it sparingly, to avoid disturbing other campers. We used it to heat water and to heat the camper first thing in the morning. As a test, I fired up the hot water heater, heater, and coffee maker and it did overload the generator. So, it will power the appliances, but not all at the same time.

Although there is a spot on the tongue where you can mount the generator, I'd keep it off the frame when it's running. I think the vibrations would transmit through the frame and amplify the noise.

The closets (either side of the toilet/shower) are quite spacious as well. The one nearest the door has a closet pole. What they lack is shelves to make the space more useful. That's one of my winter projects.

I also added a drawer for silverware, on the street side above the water tank that's under the rear dinette seat. It's a small drawer 12 inches square. I'm also planning to add shelves under the sink and possibly a wide, but shallow drawer under the frig. BTW, the frig is small, but has a very small draw on the battery. I'm sure we could have run it for 3 or more days without recharging.

Ron
Old 10-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #39

Trailer: Hallmark Truck Camper
Quote:
Hi Alyn,

I too have the all electric model, with the permnanent bed and small side dinette. As Art described it, the EggCamper has more storage than anyone could need. The area under the bed is spacious, but if I filled it up, I'd probably have to add weight to the front to keep the tongue weight up for towing.

We have the EU2000 Honda generator for off-grid use. I used it for the first time at the beginning of October in the White Mountains of NH. With no load on the generator, it is extremely quiet, but it does speak up a bit when you load it up. I think the 59 db that is advertised is un-loaded. But, with that said, it's still the quietest I've ever heard.

I can't speak to how long it will run on a tankfull. We haven't drained the first tank yet. We used it sparingly, to avoid disturbing other campers. We used it to heat water and to heat the camper first thing in the morning. As a test, I fired up the hot water heater, heater, and coffee maker and it did overload the generator. So, it will power the appliances, but not all at the same time.

Although there is a spot on the tongue where you can mount the generator, I'd keep it off the frame when it's running. I think the vibrations would transmit through the frame and amplify the noise.

The closets (either side of the toilet/shower) are quite spacious as well. The one nearest the door has a closet pole. What they lack is shelves to make the space more useful. That's one of my winter projects.

I also added a drawer for silverware, on the street side above the water tank that's under the rear dinette seat. It's a small drawer 12 inches square. I'm also planning to add shelves under the sink and possibly a wide, but shallow drawer under the frig. BTW, the frig is small, but has a very small draw on the battery. I'm sure we could have run it for 3 or more days without recharging.

Ron
Hi Ron (and Art), thanks so much for responding to my questions. The all electric EggCamper is sounding more and more as to being the best rig for the wife and me. The EggCamper web site is not covering a lot of the details that I and others are interested in. Was wondering what the overall dimensions and interior dimensions are. Length/width/height? How long is the actual trailer not including the tongue? including the tongue? What size is the Norcold fridge? Does it have a freezer? How many amps does it pull?

I will probably add a generator later, but would like to experiment without at first. I have a couple of these small, portable propane heater/cookers that work very well that I could use off grid for heating, cooking, making hot water, etc.

Will be going up to Golden to visit Orlen Wolf (related?) soon to see his rig. Chatted with him recently on phone. How nice to receive his responses and have someone so close with an EggCamper.

Alyn Wolf
Alyn Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #40

Registry
Hi Alyn,

The overall length is 17 ft. tip of tongue to rear bumper. Excluding the dogleg to the door, the main (open) floor space is 40 1/2 in. x 73 1/2 in. Toilet/shower is approximately 38 in. x 30 in. Our's is a permanent bed, which measures approximately 50 in. x 86 in. Headroom is 79 in. The Fridge is Norcold model DC0040, and the label says it draws 2.5 A at 12V. It is small, and has an aluminum cooling unit at the top that holds a ice cube trays, but I wouldn't exactly call it a freezer.

Ron

Quote:
Hi Ron (and Art), thanks so much for responding to my questions. The all electric EggCamper is sounding more and more as to being the best rig for the wife and me. The EggCamper web site is not covering a lot of the details that I and others are interested in. Was wondering what the overall dimensions and interior dimensions are. Length/width/height? How long is the actual trailer not including the tongue? including the tongue? What size is the Norcold fridge? Does it have a freezer? How many amps does it pull?

I will probably add a generator later, but would like to experiment without at first. I have a couple of these small, portable propane heater/cookers that work very well that I could use off grid for heating, cooking, making hot water, etc.

Will be going up to Golden to visit Orlen Wolf (related?) soon to see his rig. Chatted with him recently on phone. How nice to receive his responses and have someone so close with an EggCamper.

Alyn Wolf

Tags
eggcamper