Electric at campgrounds - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #41
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When I'm using power outdoors I like to have a ground fault interrupter between me and oblivion. I'm just not the "Evel Knievel" I use to be Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Here is a cord with a built in circuit breaker, though I don't know which end has the breaker.

Over-Load Guard 15' 14/3 Extension Cord with Built-In Circuit Breaker in Sacramento - 7170871
Excellent find, Tom. The breaker appears to be in the plug, at the end that goes in the campsite receptacle, as I suggested. It is a one-piece and trivial to use improvement over a common extension cord.

Yes, this addresses the fundamental issue - as small as it might be - with using a device (the original poster's computer) intended for a 15-amp circuit via a simple adapter on the higher-capacity circuit (such as 30-amp) which might be found at a campsite.

It does not address the arc-fault issue, but that issue would exist for this application (plugging in the computer) on any circuit anywhere, except recently equipped bedrooms with those special arc-fault circuit interrupters.

It also does not address ground fault issues, again like plugging into any other ordinary outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
My UHaul came with a really heavy cord and I was surprised to see that it was only 14 gauge wire covered by generous amounts of rubber and plastic. I guess the logic is that a camper cord gets more abuse and needs all this protection. So, the upside is that if you are worried about a cord shorting while connected to a 30 amp plug, using a real RV cord can mitigate the risk.

Here is a cord with a built in circuit breaker, though I don't know which end has the breaker.

Over-Load Guard 15' 14/3 Extension Cord with Built-In Circuit Breaker in Sacramento - 7170871
Most power cords come in one of two types - S or SJ. The S is 600V insulation & heavy enough to use as a tow chain. SJ is 300V insulation and has a much thinner jacket as well as less fillers. Either is legal as a RV power cord, but I'd prefer S even though it takes up more room when stored.

If you are replacing a cord, try to find a synthetic rubber cord. Thermoplastic cord is the least expensive, and the type usually found in the big box hardware stores. They get very stiff in cold weather. The rubber cords stay flexible in cold weather.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #44

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I keep 30 to 50 Amp, 15 to 30 Amp, 50 to 30 Amp. adapters in mine due to staying in locations that require evac. for flooding and having to double up on the other RV camp ground. that way one can use 50 or 30 plus I carry a tester to check if wired correctly that uses 15 Amp plug. I also carry 30 Amp ext cord and a few 15 Amps ones for out side lights, space heater(s), water pipe heat tape and such. One of my first after market things was a 30 Amp circuit/ surge protector
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #45

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Francesca, you are clear, and I thank you. Actually, I enjoyed the melting emoticon -- I once had a coffeepot that developed a cord problem, and that is pretty much the way it looked, even on standard 110 household current.

I planned to take along my garage extension cords, since I figure that anything rated for machinery on a construction site can probably manage camping. I just wasn't sure if the plugs could be used directly at the post.

Of course, now I'll want to check gauge and insulation as well. I learn so much from you guys!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #46

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
John, I would love to come to Algonac in the fall! Even if I haven't found my trailer by then, I could look at all the eggs and drool over them!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #47

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Louise....since you're looking you'll never find a better selection of different brands to check out. That way you'll have a better idea of what you want & need. Also a bunch of very nice people.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote