Ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I was just cruizin' Bolerama and spotted this post:
Quote:
The sellers name is trimjobber and they have many different colours of 1/4" foam backed marine vinyl. If you phone the 1-800 # in any of the ads you reach Bry-tech Distributors, ask for Debbie. They are in Florida and ship to the lower 48 states for free or to Canada (not free but quite reasonable). The prices vary a bit. The stuff I ordered works out to $6.90 USD/yard or $2.30 USD/ft. I'll let everyone know how it looks once it gets here and how it works out once I install it.
Here's the eBay link: eBay - Trimjobber

Maybe it will help someone...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't see it specified either way on the site linked, but I would suspect this to be open-celled foam, as that is what is typically on the back of "marine" vinyl (and why I never use it on boats - seen too much of it 10 years down the line.. ewwww).

I would at least ask what type of foam it is or try to get a sample, before proceeding assuming it's close-celled foam (like Ensolite is).

(Or did the person on Bolerama ascertain that it was close-celled foam?)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Raya, I just pulled the quote from the original poster. So far he/she hasn't responded back. As with anything, someone should do more investigation... like calling the seller at the number provided in the eBay link.

On edit, I just pulled the phone number out of one of the ads: 800-329-7283
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #4

I understand, Donna. I just wanted to mention it since the thread title had Ensolite in the name (with a slight qualification, I realize), and I associate Ensolite with closed-cell foams only (maybe they do make open-cell foams though; I don't know).

And I've had to remove enough of that typical, open-celled "marine" vinyl that had gone completely black and soggy and moldy that maybe I was being too protective of future readers. (And then you have to remove the glue, and prep the surface again, too )
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
I understand, Donna. I just wanted to mention it since the thread title had Ensolite in the name (with a slight qualification, I realize), and I associate Ensolite with closed-cell foams only (maybe they do make open-cell foams though; I don't know).
I have an idea Raya... why don't you call and ask? You would know what kinds of questions to ask, I wouldn't...

800-329-7283

That way, we'd all know the if this is the answer
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

Donna,

Even though I'm not looking for Ensolite, I would be happy to call -- except that I'm out in the sticks right now with terrible-to-no phone reception here. Trying to call someone I don't know is an exercise in frustration as it cuts out, drops, etc.

If I get to "civilization" I will try to remember to call; but on the other hand, if someone else wants to, the main thing to find out is simply whether the foam is open-celled or close-celled. If they are not sure (and hopefully they will know their product), then I would figure it's probably open-celled, as close-celled is more "special" and anyone stocking it would probably know that.

Raya
Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Donna & Raya,

I called Trimjobber this A.M. They were closed so I left a message. If/when they call back I'll let you know the answer.

BTW, am waiting for samples of the closed cell, eco-friendly foam that Home Depot USA is only selling on line. I called the factory, talked to the engineer in charge who didn't know how it would respond to paint. He suggested a low solvent glue and is sending samples for testing. He is excited to find a new market... Again, will let everyone know what I discover.

Cheers,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #8

THANK YOU Tom!! Of all the insulation available, the proper Ensolite, with vinyl face seems to be the hardest one to find.

The membership (and me!) appreciate your efforts.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
THANK YOU Tom!! Of all the insulation available, the proper Ensolite, with vinyl face seems to be the hardest one to find.

The membership (and me!) appreciate your efforts.
Donna,

You are .
The foam from Home Depot comes with cloth on one side. I'm pretty sure it is meant as a non-skid backing for use as carpet padding. Might make an interesting texture if painted. Will let you know as soon as the samples come in.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

Can't wait to see it in an egg, especially the pale yellow!!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #11

ooooh, pale yellow... like a real egg
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Raya, I just pulled the quote from the original poster. So far he/she hasn't responded back. As with anything, someone should do more investigation... like calling the seller at the number provided in the eBay link.

On edit, I just pulled the phone number out of one of the ads: 800-329-7283
Donna and all,

Just got off the phone with Trimjobber. Bummer - the vinyl backed product is NOT closed cell foam.

The person I spoke with was very helpful. They sell 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 inch closed cell with no backing. It is $8.00 a yard for 60 inch stock.

Still waiting for my Home Depot samples - will report when I get them.

The company that manufactures for Home Depot is Healthier Choice. Check out this page:

http://www.healthierchoice.com/#/Pro...thier%20Choice - the foam comes in colors .

Ciaofernow,

Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #13

Well rats, guess folks will need to hope at Home Depot comes through.

I just tried to view the Healthier Choice web link, it requires Flash 9 which I haven't installed yet on this desktop. I'll need to view from work.

Thanks for the follow up Tom!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #14

Registry
Donna,

The Healthier Choice (Home Depot) samples came today. The good news is that the foam is white with a nice skin on one side and fabric (with a texture similar to a tight weave burlap or fiberglass cloth) on the other. It is closed cell, dense feeling memory foam, moisture and mildew proof and has very low VOC emissions. It uses soy based ingredients and is eco-friendly.

The bad news is that the packaging info says that it is good for use on radiant heated floors - outstanding heat transfer and low R-Value .... Not the best recommendation for insulation.

I'll phone Healthier Choice for more info on the R Value (and maybe a better product) and try some glue / paint / heat transfer tests and post a report in a week or so. Will also put up pictures of the foam and packaging info when I can get to the camera.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Donna,

The bad news is that the packaging info says that it is good for use on radiant heated floors - outstanding heat transfer and low R-Value .... Not the best recommendation for insulation.

I'll phone Healthier Choice for more info on the R Value
R-value of the 3/8" Home Depot product is 1.2 (R 3.2 per inch). Does anyone know how this compares to ensolite or other foams?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I have been able to purchase a vinyl covered, closed cell foam from Escape trailers. It is the same material they use in their trailers. Plus glue. They were very helpful. Contact them via their wb sight.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #17

Kent, you'd better double-check that. I've asked over at the EscapeForum about the insulation and this is the most recent (yesterday) posting from Reace:

"The 3/8" foam backing is an open cell foam. Donna, I apologize for the confusion, Tammy asked and I answered without really thinking about what she asked......man that can get a guy into trouble sometimes! At any rate, everyone is correct that a closed cell foam is dense and would not form to the trailer walls as nicely.

Reace"
Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #18

Just as a data point, when I got some closed-cell foam samples from IR Foam Specialty (I can't remember if they were trade name Ensolite or if they were Ensolite-like), they sent me three different densities. The softest one was quite conformable, and that was even in 3/8" thickness as opposed to the 3/16" that I think is original (I had asked for the thicker stuff on purpose; it does come thinner).

My impression was that it would conform to the Boler shape in the same section shapes that the original Ensolite did, especially if if were not as thick as 3/8"

That said, it did not come with a vinyl skin bonded to it. One would probably paint it.

I ended up buying a trailer that already had the Ensolite, so I stopped researching. Had I kept on I would have looked harder for a similar product with the vinyl laminated on like the original that was in the Bolers. IR and other foam specialty places have a somewhat mind-boggling selection of Ensolite type foams, from what I could tell.

Raya
Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Ooops. I figure if its the foam that Escape trailers use, I guess it will work for me even if it is not closed cell.Its bought and paid for. I live in a very dry part of the country. A wine growing area, hot and dry. Closed cell is available from Norseman Foam, for those in Western canada but no fabric on one side. Its black in colour
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Registry
I'm the one who posted that on Bolerama. I was waiting until I was back from a vacation to post over here. It arrived while I was away and yes, it's open celled foam as well. They had a large selection of colours and different thicknesses of foam as well. It'll be a little while before I try installing it. The old stuff has to come out first and the fibreglass needs to be repaired as well as the frame welded and new axle ordered, wiring done... good thing I can store stuff at work for a while!
Like Kent, I figured that if that's the stuff Escape uses, it should work for me. I was tired of researching! I'm going to try and talk with some marine people to see how they deal with the open cell foam and condensation. I got 20 yards (60 feet) x 54 inches, plus shipping, exchange, GST and brokerage for under $300 CND.
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote