Ensolite paint - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... Just picked up a 79 17 foot side Gaucho. So Far I have discovered some rather nasty black ensolite caused by belly-band perforations and leaks....
Quote:
Kevin....my ensolite is black (the foam part) with a white vinyl covering.
We learned in earlier discussions of the foam lining used in Bolers, in this and another forum, that 13' and 17' Bolers generally use two different types of lining:
  • 13' Bolers - Ensolite
    • dense black foam
    • foam is believed to be rubber
    • durable textured surface film
    • seams covered in tape
  • 17' Bolers - not Ensolite?
    • soft, open-celled, yellow foam
    • foam is almost certainly not rubber
    • thin "popcorn" texture surface film
    • no visible seam trim
Benny has both types of Boler and posted a great comparison photo, but I can't find a copy at the moment.

In my B1700, black foam is bad.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Brian, I do remember that discussion and those pictures! I wish they were still avaiable. I can see where black foam would be bad, in my 79' B1300 it's normal. Thanks for reminding me of the difference.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Hey, thanks for the clarification Brian. In my ramblings, I've never come across as clear an an explanation as yours.

And yes, my insulation is open celled yellow foam. The black I mention is mold. After looking at the foam, I thought to myself: Hmm, just like cheap carpet undercushion, how hard can that be? The trick is the bubbles on the top surface. Home Depot carries these spray cans of texture which is oil based, so I am up for the challenge! The open celled foam acts like a sponge to water, and takes forever to dry. Therefore the puddles of water on the floor would be larger if the foam had not absorbed the water.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 75 Boler
After looking all over for Zinsser paint and then Decotime I decided to go with plan B.

I went to Miller paint in Burien and they hooked me up with a gallon of white Outdoor acrylic house paint. He said the outdoor paint would withstand the change of temp in the egg and the acrylic is best since it will adhere to the already pained ensolite.

I purchased the my egg a couple years ago with a hanus peach color on the ensolite, wood trim and cabinets to match...gag. I did a test area on the liner and it looks good. I'll paint the rest this sunday.

If I can monkey with the resolution/size of the picture I took, I will I post it

All I got.

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting