Ensolite paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I need to paint the interior ensolite of my Boler. What type of paint do I need to procure for the best results ?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
When I painted the interior of my Boler - I used the vinyl paint that is sold in rattle cans for sprucing up dashboards and such.

While I had NO problems with it in the Boler - I used it on some other items and had an irritating problem of it flaking off if the surface was sufficiently bent (OK, seriously torqued!!).

You might consider another product I used this last fall on a non-trailer project (my son's halloween costume). I used the new "plastic paints" on that. NOTHING I could do (other than scratching) could remove that paint from the plastic panels I'd painted. That includes bending it 180-degrees over onto itself.

What you might consider is using the inside of the closet (or something similar) as a test area. Try the vinyl paint, the plastic paint, melamine paint (others have used that) and whatever else you'd like to try in patches. Let them dry, then subject them to whatever punishment you'd like to see how they hold up for you and how they look once they're on the walls.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Check out the Krylon products. I have been using their quick dry lacqeurs for years on snowmobiles and all kinds of pojects for years. I have tried many other products and all ways come back to Krylon.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz014/05/
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I should have added this one also. They make a good product.
http://www.duplicolor.com/
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 75 Boler
Spray painting the entire inside ensolite headliner seems less than appealing. Isn't there something that can be rolled on?

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As Mike suggested Melamine paint: Decotime. It can be rolled or brushed on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Spraying the inside isn't too bad. You just have to make sure that EVERYTHING is masked off (blue tape and newspaper) AND you want to be sure you've got it very well ventilated (fan-driven).

The vinyl and plastic paints I think only come in rattle cans. I like the nice smooth even coverage that gives though.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug 1973 13 ft and Scamp 1984 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
Quote:
Spraying the inside isn't too bad. You just have to make sure that EVERYTHING is masked off (blue tape and newspaper) AND you want to be sure you've got it very well ventilated (fan-driven).

The vinyl and plastic paints I think only come in rattle cans. I like the nice smooth even coverage that gives though.

Mike
I also need to paint the ensolite in my egg and was wondering if there is a textured paint that can be used? Thanks Joe
JNikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I used Perma White by Zinsser, so far so good.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35
Old 03-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #10

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

The inside of my Love Bug was very moldy when I started. I scrubbed it doewn good and then used stain blocking primer (2 coats). The final coat was regular semi-gloss interior latex paint. I rolled it on and got excellent results. The great thing about this type of paint is that you can get any color you want. It is also dirt cheap.

I got outstanding comments at the Scamp Camp in Baraboo last summer.

Good luck on your project.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I did the inside of the cabinets with a white enamel, after cleaning well with first a solution of bleach and TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). The problem I experienced was the enamel flowed into the 'dents' in the ensolite surface at the expense of the ridges. The ridges appear to have only a very thin coat, where the dimples seem to be much whiter.

It took a second and third application to coat the ridges sufficiently. However I'm not entirely excited about applying that much paint to the whole interior of the coach.

Looking at the Zinzer website mentioned in Lisbeth's post above, I think that may be a winner. The three factors I like about it are 1) mildew proof, 2) flexibility and 3) adherance to even glossy undercoats. A fourth is that it is water based. The fumes from the enamel drying are not nice, even with all the windows open and a 20 inch box fan blowing in the door.

I checked on availability in my area and there are several local places that carry it, so I think I'll just saunter over and check it out, especially if it's a rainy day. It always seems such a waste to spend time shopping when the sun is shining.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I suppose if I were doing the inside of my trailer`s ensolite I would do a fair amount of research on paints to make sure that what I put on would permanently adhere and not cause problems down the road where I`d have to strip it all off or replace the Ensolite or line the bare inside trailer with something else .....The last thing I`d want is to have the paint start chipping or peeling off......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #13

Registry
I agree Benny. But what I found was a crap shoot. In a perfect world there would be more information available about painting ensolite. There are all kinds of paints and primers that say they will "stick to anything". I also think it depends on the condition of the ensolite, mine was filthy, cover in grease, dirt, and smoke. It took two complete literal hose downs with several kinds of cleaner and scrub brushes to get it where I was semi comfortable painting it. It's been painted about a year and so far so good.

This is what it looked like before.
Attached Thumbnails
boler_before.JPG  
Old 03-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

When we painted that pebbly stuff in Egbert a couple of years back, we used interior latex flat wall paint. I had it in the garage and figgered if it was good enough for my living room, it was good enough for the Trillium. Cleaned it real well as prep and used a brush and roller to apply. No primer.

Curiously, turns out I was right (for once... just ask her). When we sold Egbert a little over a year later, we had had no recurrence of the mold and no flaking at all. He still looked great as she drove off.

Doug
http://www.roachmedia.net
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
WOW Lizbeth, looks like somebody was a heavy cigar smoker, LOL......my egg was pretty well white inside, maybe like a Ford wimbleton white that`s just off white.....glad that I didn`t experience some of the problems that other owners had.......with different paints and depending on the climate where you are, you never know how well the adhesion is.....Example here, the temps could range from lower than -40 to +105 F.....from summer to winter so different materials sure can change a lot in size.....so when you glue materials to other materials they don`t contract or stretch the same amount....it becomes extreme I suppose....I don`t know if that would affect it or not...maybe not......paint on cars doesn`t fall off, LOL......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
I also need to paint the ensolite in my egg and was wondering if there is a textured paint that can be used? Thanks Joe
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some ijit used granite paint on the backsplash of my unit. It was probably fine the first year or so. Then it started flaking! And flaking! And flaking!
Getting it off took 2 months of cleaning and scraping almost every night, which had to be done because you can't paint over the flakes because then the new paint will flake off!
*SHUDDER*

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 80 Trillium
Send a message via ICQ to Timmer Send a message via MSN to Timmer Send a message via Yahoo to Timmer
Hey Gang., I did a post a few years ago showing how i did the painting, I managed to glue the material back on using some 3m Glue I wanted to keep in mind that people will touch the ensolite and it will be subjected to extream cold and heat. I used Beyr High Hide Primer, this allowed for go adhesion and hide. I have not had a problem. My friend used some plastic paints against my advice. I had to chuckle and rub in a "I told ya so" when his interior started to crack and flake,
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Hi. I am a Boler Newby. Just picked up a 79 17 foot side Gaucho. So Far I have discovered some rather nasty black ensolite caused by belly-band perforations and leaks. I am planning on tackling it by cutting out the nasty parts ensolite, replacing with equivalent thickness foam carpet underlay, and using a sticky oil based paint mixed with stucco texture additive. I will tell you how I do in about a week. Lucky for me the offending area is mostly covered by cupboards.

Regards
Kevin.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #19

Registry
Kevin....my ensolite is black (the foam part) with a white vinyl covering.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 73 Boler
I think i would use elastomeric paint. Its used to paint stucco houses. Its a rubber paint that allows stucco to breath and does not crack as its rubber. Great stuff.
Like i said. Its rubber.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting