Escape Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Jayco
Does anyone have any information on the Escape Trailer? Quality, pricing, ordering process, pick up from Canada, taxes, etc. I am interested in one built have no idea where or how to start to obtain one. Thanks,
Behrouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the Escape Trailer? Quality, pricing, ordering process, pick up from Canada, taxes, etc. I am interested in one built have no idea where or how to start to obtain one. Thanks,
We just got a brochure from the owner of Escape Trailers, ( Reace), last month at the Oregon Gathering where he had some of the Escape trailers on display. It says this in the brochure: Introductory base price for the Escape 5.0 is $25,500.00 ( Canadian dollars), you pick it up at the factory in Chilliwack, BC. Look at their web site for more information too: http://www.escapetrailer.com

Good luck!
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
The website is a great reference - they also have a 17 foot travel trailer (that's what I got).

Of course, anyone who owns an Escape will tell you that it's the very best trailer (for sure, I will!) - you can probably search the forums here for quite a few posts on various topics concerning the Escape trailer. I think it's generally considered a pretty high quality trailer.

Ordering is pretty easy - if you want something that you don't see on the website, just call them - they're really accomodating. Paying was very easy - they're used to dealing with us South of the Border types. Since I was at the factory when I ordered, I just gave them a check for the deposit and then wired the rest from my bank before I picked it up. The bank took care of all the currency conversion.

Coming across the border was also very easy - no paperwork - although it'll save you some time on the Internet navigating Canadian government forms if you remember to pick up the GST (General Sales Tax??) forms at the border crossing so that you can get reimbursed the Canadian Sales Tax (as I recall when I bought, it was a little over $1,000 - but you get it all back). Remember to get several 'original' sales receipts from Escape - I needed one original to send back with the GST reimbursement form and another original to get my trailer registered in OR.

You'll have to check with your DMV to get a temporary travel permit (at least in Oregon I had to actually have the trailer before they'd give me a registration and a license plate - even though I already had all the paperwork that they used later). In Oregon, they give you a 10 day permit which doesn't actually start until you actually pick up the trailer - so that was plenty of time (I took a little trip in my brand new trailer before heading home).

The nice folks at Escape Trailer even booked me into a local campground for a night so that I could get organized and try things out for a night before I got too far away - very convenient!

Good luck in picking a trailer!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just took delivery of my Escape 17 a week ago and I'm looking forward to its maiden voyage. Towing it home with my RAV4 V6 was no sweat.

I bought it so naturally I think it's the best. But, for a second opinion, my fly fishing buddy, who does corporate interior design and knows good materials and workmanship, was very impressed.

Tammy and Reace will make you a happy camper and ensure you get the trailer you want.

Ask about custom options that aren't on the options list. I had a hatch installed for access to the under seat storage and really appreciate it. It's holding my chocks, wood blocks for the stabilizers, water hose, 1 lb. propane tanks, hatchet and axe.

I'll have more to report next week. I'm taking my lap-top for on the road reports.

baglo
Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #5

Hello Behrouz.

We have production number #35.Bought in 2005, been happy ever since and have no plans to ever sell it.Ours is a 17 and I do believe that is the big seller.

We have taken it to Arizona southern California, Nevada desert, Oregon coast and around British Columbia never had any problems.It is just the two of us and the foxterrier Lola.

Happy to see another trailer like the Escape ending up in North Vancouver (Glenn Baglo) welcome to the club.

Allan Bornestig.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #6

I picked up my Escape 17 a few days ago too. I even saw Glen's Toad in its pollywog stage sitting there waiting.

I too am very happy with mine. It pulled great all the way from Chilliwack up to Mount Robson, via Barkerville with the RAV. There were some pretty steep climbs, did I say that there were some pretty steep climbs, and I got better than 17 miles per imperial gallon on the uphill side. I never bothered checking the gas heading back to Olds. That was all downhill.

Reace and Tammy are great to work with, although I would not turn my back on Tammy if she was holding a pail of water.

Quote:
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Now you are making me envious...as we never got to deal with Reace and Tammy!!!
Once I viewed an Escape 5.0 in S.W. Ontario I knew it was the "Escape Hatch" for us. The plunge from 13'er to 19.5' was scarry but once done it is everything we need. It tows easier than our Boler and for almost the same mileage...so who can complain!!! The fit and finish are superior to most and the attention to details is very apparent.
We seem to cause a stir where ever we go and people driving past, have even turned around to come back to have a look
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know without a doubt there is going to be an Escape 5.0 in my future. Everyday that "future" gets closer and closer. I've had the pleasure to meet both Reace and Tammy at a couple of Oregon Gatherings and have toured many Escape trailers. I've always been impressed with the fit and finish of the trailers and believe it to be an excellent value for the money.

Not to snatch a sale away from Reace and Tammy, but there are currently two Escapes for sale on this forum. Both are practically brand-new and would save a buyer not only dollars, but the wait time. Hitch up and go camping right now!

New Escape 5.0 for sale in Oregon

2008 Escape Trailer - Plan B for sale in Grande Cache Alberta

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #9

Trailer: Jayco
Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts on Escape trailer. For those who have bought a 17' model, did you pay the same price that was on their website for the unit, or was it negotiable. If negotiable, what percentage were you able to go below listed price? Thanks,
Behrouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #10

Hi again Behrouz

We paid the asking price, being factory direct and no salesman to argue with.
Added some options and took delivery at a time that suited us i.e. six months later i January.

Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts on Escape trailer. For those who have bought a 17' model, did you pay the same price that was on their website for the unit, or was it negotiable. If negotiable, what percentage were you able to go below listed price? Thanks,
We picked up our 17' Escape in 9/07. Paid the quoted price and did not try to haggle. We are very pleased with the trailer having now taken approx. 5-6 trips. Reace and Tammy are great to deal with and we encountered no problem in bringing the trailer back into WA.
tom swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
We picked up our 17' Escape in 9/07. Paid the quoted price and did not try to haggle. We are very pleased with the trailer having now taken approx. 5-6 trips. Reace and Tammy are great to deal with and we encountered no problem in bringing the trailer back into WA.
I didn't dicker. I was just trying to get my deposit in before two others so I could get July delivery.
Last I looked at their site they were offering a reduction for orders during their fall/winter production schedule when fewer people are thinking of camping.

baglo
Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape
we bought our 17' Escape - plan B this April. We camped the 1st night at the factory and when Reace tows the trailer down to the border (about 15 miles) you do not have to deal with any taxes(Canadian, not state) at all. We love it, we tow with a Ford exp sport v6 and have three trips under our belt. We also just paid the list price and they were more than happy to make any changes we wanted. Also, our cat has lots of places to hide in, but she love's standing on the half closet ready to ponce out the screen door if we let her.(we don't, but she got out once anyway). Best thing to do is call them and find one close to you and go see it. We have shown three people our Escape in our front yard.

good luck...jim&sharon
jagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan A
I took delivery of my new Escape 17' about one month ago (likely shared shop space with Glenn and Greg) and it's amazing. The folks there are great to deal with (super helpful - didn't have the bucket of water experience though) - the attention to detail and the assistance with options was superb. Didn't dicker on price either (factory direct).

Now I just have to figure out an appropriate name for my new home.

Cheers,
Dirk
Dirk Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is the Escape a four-season trailer? I mean, will you do okay if the weather gets really cold?
Carol Ann G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Just put my name down for the NEW Escape 19, should be ready this coming up spring/summer.
Reace and Tammy are great people to deal with, they will work with you to make the trailer you
want. Paying the asking introductory price and I think after seeing the factory twice the quality is
worth every penny.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Quote:
Hi: Dirk... How about "Kooten E scape".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie :wave
Pete and I have now picked up our second Escape 17ft. trailer and we couldn't be happier. We had an older model, decided to go back to another 17ft. Bigfoot, have now come back to Escape and we love our new trailer. We picked it up a couple of weeks ago and are totally impressed with the quality. Much improved over time; why wouldn't it be? Reace listens to his customers and incorporates all of the best ideas into all of his new models. We have had many trailers over the years and are most impressed with our new 2009 Escape! We love working with Reace and Tammy; they have integrity, a quality product, and add the personal touch. We are thrilled and can hardly wait to start camping!
Attached Thumbnails
escape_sm.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Pete and I have now picked up our second Escape 17ft. trailer and we couldn't be happier. We had an older model, decided to go back to another 17ft. Bigfoot, have now come back to Escape and we love our new trailer. We picked it up a couple of weeks ago and are totally impressed with the quality. Much improved over time; why wouldn't it be? Reace listens to his customers and incorporates all of the best ideas into all of his new models. We have had many trailers over the years and are most impressed with our new 2009 Escape! We love working with Reace and Tammy; they have integrity, a quality product, and add the personal touch. We are thrilled and can hardly wait to start camping!
The tow vehicle and trailer look good together, I like that the grey stripe matchers the 4runner
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #19

Does it have a lift on the trailer.... looks like it
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Does it have a lift on the trailer.... looks like it
Hi: Rob... Our 5.0 5th. wheel has a 2" lift as determined by Reace to fit over a full size P/U truck with extra leaf H/D suspension.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape