Exhaust fans - do they work? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
My Scamp does not have an exhaust fan over the range and I was wondering about them. Are they very loud and are they 12 volt or 120v?
Do they get in your way looking at the skillet if you are 6' tall?

Our smoke alarm goes off often when we are cooking and maybe a fan would stop that?

Are they easy to install like a home built one (screw into cabinet above and run wires) ?

Thanks
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My exhaust fan above stove is noisey,but does work.After I installed my roof powered vent (Fantastic Fan) I now use that instead of stove vent.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
They are 12V and ...

Yes, they work.

Yes, they are noisy.

Yes, I have a fantastic fan, but it doesn't do quite the same thing in my trailer, so I wouldn't remove mine.

I am currently working on an idea to make a much quieter unit. If and when it makes it off the drawing board, I'll let you know how it does.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004_01.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2708
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I'm guessing that Chester is referring to his B1700, not his B1300. Our B1700's all seem to have range hoods incorporating a fan {*see note}, which is a feature I like. It makes more sense to me to try to get cooking fumes out of the kitchen vent than getting them over to the roof vent, but I guess you use what works. The hood is even a nice-looking brushed aluminum unit, with a 12V light.

It is 12V, and I find that ours is both marginally effective and very noisy for what it does; however, I just think it's suffering from age. Just as the modern powered roof vents (such as the Fantastic Fan and MaxxFan) are much more effective and much quieter than those old little fans stuck in the original vent, a kitchen fan could be quiet and effective. The computer fan idea is interesting, and might fit in the hood space nicely to form a more effective system. I also need to remove the external vent grille and do some cleaning and re-sealing, so it will be interesting to see if the airflow is obstructed.

In an earlier discussion, Question for Fantastic Fan Owners, Do you usually run it on exhaust or intake, Roger H. had what I think is a good idea: use the powered roof vent in the intake direction to supply air to go out the kitchen vent. He uses this approach with just an open window, but I intend to try this as a way to make the range hood exhaust fan more effective.

My range hood was factory installed, attached to the (wooden) cabinet above with four wood screws and connected to the same wires which supply the outside light fixture; it has its switches in the hood, so it doesn't need any controls hooked up - just the two supply wires. The exhaust vent is on the back side, and lines up directly with the rectangular vent hole in the trailer side.

* Note: not all of them! see F.Bishop post, below...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 25 ft Bigfoot / 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4X4
Registry
Brian B-P -We also have a 17' Boler but do not have an exhaust vent above the stove. Ours is a 1978 model made by Neonex. I would like to commend you for your straightforward and informative posts!!!!!
F.Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...We also have a 17' Boler but do not have an exhaust vent above the stove. Ours is a 1978 model made by Neonex...
... and mine is a 1979 built by Neonex's Vanguard Trailers operation in Winfield, B.C. Maybe now we know when they started putting in the range hood? Thanks for the info.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I like cooking smells (unless there is a meltdown disaster). I also don't want to lose the view out that window. Have to watch the campground comedy, ya know.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote