Exterior Fiberglass polish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Exterior Fiberglass polish

Greetings! I am searching the site for your experienced recommendations for polish and gel coat restoration. Haven't found what I'm looking for... the front of my Gem (Scamp 16) is getting a little oxidation and I want to take care of that as well as polish the entire eggie.

Thank you in advance for names of products that you love.
Teal
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Google 3M polish and wax.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Google 3M polish and wax.

3M Marine Products get my vote as well. Easy to find and not very expensive and they are designed specifically for gelcoat.

If you have a bit of oxidization you may find a small bottle of their Restore and Wax to do the job well. Use a micro fibre cloth to put on and take off. If its heavily oxidized then you might find a power buffer with a wool cover to make short work of it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
The Meguiar products, especially for fiberglass, are also really good. Love them!!! It is likely that even a good cleaner wax will restore the shine. I cringe when I hear of folks using super abrasive products on relatively new FGRVs. Always take the least abrasive approach before trying anything like BarKeepers Friend, or MrClean Magic sponges, or abrasive rubbing compounds.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Polish

Bought my Escape which had sat in the elements for years and was very badly oxidized. I tried polishing it with three different products and could not get it to shine. Almost bought the floor polish solution but really just wanted it to shine like gel coat can. Finally a freind brought over a high speed polisher and the 3m product called Finesse-it, it came up beautiful. Then used their cleaner and polish and finally a carnauba wax. I am sold on this method. Just use a little McQuiars (boat/rv) quick wax now and it shines.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...6-quik-waxreg/

3M Finesse-It II™ Finishing Material | West Marine

Thank you friend!
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Bought my Escape which had sat in the elements for years and was very badly oxidized. I tried polishing it with three different products and could not get it to shine. Almost bought the floor polish solution but really just wanted it to shine like gel coat can. Finally a freind brought over a high speed polisher and the 3m product called Finesse-it, it came up beautiful. Then used their cleaner and polish and finally a carnauba wax. I am sold on this method. Just use a little McQuiars (boat/rv) quick wax now and it shines.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...6-quik-waxreg/

3M Finesse-It II™ Finishing Material | West Marine

Thank you friend!
The funny part of Grant's story is that the polishing up of his trailer took place one afternoon at a trailer rally with about 75 trailers present. There where MANY new believers in 3M products once he was done.

But what I want to know is what was the name of the product he used to equally shine up the tires??????? forgot!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Thank you for the info, I'm just waxing my SUV and my trailer.
I am a fan of 3M products.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
The Meguiar products, especially for fiberglass, are also really good. Love them!!! It is likely that even a good cleaner wax will restore the shine. I cringe when I hear of folks using super abrasive products on relatively new FGRVs. Always take the least abrasive approach before trying anything like BarKeepers Friend, or MrClean Magic sponges, or abrasive rubbing compounds.
I agree . I washed my trailer and gave it a coat of Meguiars #50 marine / rv cleaner polish. Then put on a coat of Meguiars Flagship pure wax . WOW does the trailer look like new. I contacted Meguiars and they recommend a coat of wax after using there #50 cleaner to get a better shine and for durabiliry. We live in a rural area and the Meguiars is much easier to find then the 3M products.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Steve
Think I'll try that. Did you use any kind of buffer/polisher or just elbow grease?

Walt
Old 04-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Steve
Think I'll try that. Did you use any kind of buffer/polisher or just elbow grease?

Walt
Elbow grease , I have a buffer but my son can"t figure out were he left it. . I did have to hit a few spots twice with the #50 to remove a couple of stain marks.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote