Exterior Paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler
Thumbs up

What is the best primer to use on fg? My Boler has been painted with ,I think, a latex of some kind. What I need to know is the best primer to use on sanded fiberglass. I know that I will have to sand before I paint. Any and all sugestions will be welcomed.
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Hi from Eugene,Oregon

We have a '78 Trillium and consider it a slow process.

Many of us start at the ground level and work our way up. If you should need to move it to a
different place to get some professional help at least you don't have to worry about wheel bearings or tires going out. Port Alberni is rather isolated but you do have marine supply shops and these fiberglass trailers aren't that different from a boat that's in a yard to be painted. Auto body shops - Corvette. If someone did put latex paint on, check with a paint/hardware store and they will have a paint stripper that will work. If you have a power washer it's amazing what it can do to dirt and paint. The boat supply/maintenance people will be your best source on how to do the final prep before painting.
Excellent source for information and products: www.westmarine.com

Welcome to the group and post lots of pictures of before and after. We love pictures
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
On one of the other forums, some have had really good luck stripping paint from fiberglass using RemovAll 610. From what I understand, it's a pretty slow process as the stripper has to be left on for quite a while. It may be worth checking out: RemovALL 610 from Napier Technologies

Now I'm going to assume you want to paint the trailer yourself? Here on FiberglassRV, there again, some have had good results using Interlux Brightside paint and a FOAM roller: Jamestown Interlux - Brightside Polyurethane

I don't have any experience with either products, sure hope someone that has jumps in!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare_wheel_Bracket_and_tire__5__5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	23948

Donna's right. We're one of the one's who hand rolled our trailer with a small foam roller and TWO coats of Interlux Brightsides marine paint, with a marine primer following instructions from Heritage Marine in London, Ontario. I finally decided to tackle it after reading what Chester and Ken James had done with their trailers.

Name:	Top_Half_Painted.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	23951

We used it the first summer with only the top half done and finished it in the fall.

Name:	New_Paint__4__1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	23949

If you do decide to go this way, sand with at least 400 grit before and between coats, and thin the paint with about 10% thinners and then roll it out well or it tends to sag. It's been three summers and still looks good with many friendly comments.

Attached Thumbnails
New_Paint__2_.jpg_1.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 73 UNIK 13 ft (DEUCE) '71 Boler 13 ft (DEUCE II)
Registry
Quote:
What is the best primer to use on fg? My Boler has been painted with ,I think, a latex of some kind. What I need to know is the best primer to use on sanded fiberglass. I know that I will have to sand before I paint. Any and all sugestions will be welcomed.
in my line of work i deal with suppliers of industrial coatings, they have a one coat (no primer needed) urethane epoxy marine paint (u can use a roller if u want) u never have to wax, stays shiny, super durable ,BUT approx $175 gallon! through General Paint in canada

the brand is Amershield
Highway68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Dan
Trailer: Information seeker
TN
[QUOTE=james kent;191486]Attachment 23948

Donna's right. We're one of the one's who hand rolled our trailer with a small foam roller and TWO coats of Interlux Brightsides marine paint, with a marine primer following instructions from Heritage Marine in London, Ontario. I finally decided to tackle it after reading what Chester and Ken James had done with their trailers.

Attachment 23951

We used it the first summer with only the top half done and finished it in the fall.

Attachment 23949

James, how many quarts did you need? Where is the cheapest place to purchase the interlux bright side in Ontario,Canada ? I'll be passing threw this week!
CamperDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I'm currently working with a boat builder and these are the paint products we use. Excellent durability, gloss etc.

Endura Paint - Industrial Coatings

Larry
Larry Engelmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting