exterior paint necessary? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2003, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
exterior paint necessary?

Hi,
I'm wondering if exterior paint is ever necessary on a fiberglass trailer. I just got A 1975 Trillium. The gelcoat is dull, and I'm sure paint would be shiny and pretty, but can you reach a point where it's not just for looks? I want to wax this trailer but I'm guessing that's not the best way to prep for a paint job. Thanks.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #2

Hi Maggie
I would try the wax first.You might be surprized at the outcome.:wave

Old 02-25-2003, 07:35 AM   #3

there is one thread you don't want to miss
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=262
well maybe two, but it's the same person.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=268

Now you have to admit, that is quite a change in the trailer

Old 02-25-2003, 07:50 AM   #4

Need Paint?

The bottom half of my '72 Boler was green. Early 70's green.

Did it need paint?

Kind of a matter of opinion... :)

mkw

Old 02-25-2003, 08:31 AM   #5

Wax vs paint

Surely a matter of choice, no doubt. If it has already been painted or if you do not like the color then paint is a good idea.

Paint, however, is not a necessity IF you want the original finish (and there are no major repairs to be done). If you do not get in a hurry, don't try to do it overnight, you can develop a shine. Even on the thinest of gel coats.

If it is going to be a chore...something you want to have done right now, then you probably want to consider paint or a layer of new gel coat (can be done by boat repair places). As for me, once I got past the thing of ''I want it perfect right now,'' slowly but surely it began to develop a patina that I don't have the heart to cover up.

Your choice -- but it is a choice and a matter of personal preference. The only way to have that 'brand new' mirror finish is to have a new coat of gel coat applied. However, if you want a nice, clean, easy to maintain, shiney finish, all you need is lots of wax and time and patience.

Old 02-26-2003, 03:59 PM   #6

Suz,

Your trailer looks great but if you had followed the barkeeps friend with a fine rubbing compound it would have made you wax last longer. Barkeepers friend is a good cleaner but it really dulls the gel coat.

I took my spare off the other day and it had stained the gel coat. I used Barkeepers friend to get the stain off. When I stood back and checked it the gel coat was very dull where the stain had been. Then I rubbed it out with rubbing compound to get the shine back. Then applied a coat of wax to seal and preserve the finish. Looks like new.

After I finished, I applied clear packing tape to the side of the tire that goes against the trailer before I reinstalled it. Hope it stops the staining.

Tags
paint, painting