exterior paint or clear coat? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

Name: scot
Trailer: casita
New York
exterior paint or clear coat?

what is the best way to clean and brighten up a casita exterior. scrubbing and a clear coat? stains? Paint the exterior with boat paint or something else? thanks scot marechaux scot104 yahoo.com
scotmarechaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In my opinion, none of the above, at least not as a first resort.

Door #1 is the Meguiar's 3-step marine fiberglass restoration system- deoxidizing, polishing, and waxing. It give a decent satin sheen on weathered fiberglass, not a like-new high gloss. It improves with repeated application. After the first round you only need to wax if it still beads, or polish and wax if it doesn't. I wax twice a year for uncovered storage in our high altitude AZ location. I believe 3M makes a similar suite of products.

Door #2 to clean and deoxidize using a mild, fiberglass-friendly product like Barkeepers Friend, then apply a high gloss liquid flood wax (Zep). It'll take 4-6 thin coats wiped on to achieve a gloss like new gelcoat. It lasts 1-2 years depending on exposure, then you strip and reapply.

For mild to moderately weathered fiberglass, I'd probably try the first approach. With moderate to severe weathering, go straight to the second.

Painting is usually only needed after major fiberglass repair.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Agreed. That lines up with my fiberglass boat restoration experience. And invest in a good buffer, it will make the job much easier.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

Name: Susan
Trailer: 1975 Boler 13'
Prince Edward Island
I am new to this also and last year bought a 1975 Boler original green in colour. We planned on towing it with our 1963 Ford F100 which is Caribbean Turquoise not a good match. After a lot of thought we decided as a start not to repaint as the outside was faded but in good shape and the budget was small. Thanks to all the ideas we got from here we went with Barkeepers Friend followed by 4 coats of Zev my goodness what a great job that did and we are thrilled with the result, she's in storage right now but will post pictures once Spring is really here. I would really recommend doing this the difference is remarkable. She still doesn't match the truck but we found a silver 2005 Ford Freestyle for $1000, fantastic vehicle so far and less than the paint job and much more comfort for the old bones.

We have worked on the inside when we could this winter, redid the joints, fresh paint on walls and doors and made the bunk area into a small dinette so we can leave the bed down. New floor and just have the curtains to redo. I think we will have to do work on the windows also as the one by the bed is leaking, not sure where we can get repair materials or replacements from we are in eastern Canada so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

We were really hoping to get to Winnipeg this summer but sadly I think we would both be crippled these days with a trip that long. We are going to NB though so hope to meet some of you there. Sorry didn't mean to write a novel !!

Susan
Susanfromtheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...apply a high gloss liquid flood wax (Zep)...
Oops... floor wax.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
you guys

you guys make me so tired thinking of all this work. I think I will leave Stevie the way she is and just use her!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint