External Gas Tank for Yamaha 2400 generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I have recently purchased a Yamaha 2400 inverter generator. It appears to work great and meet my needs. I would like to add an external gas tank to the setup. I bought it from the company that appears to be very popular with members of this forum. The company told me that the external tank kits for the Honda 2000 and Yamaha 2000 generators would NOT work with the Yamaha 2400. The company sells a unique setup for the Yamaha 2400. It appears to use a 110 volt electric pump from a 6 gallon tank. It costs about $180. Anyone using this setup?

Is there anyone out there using a Yamaha 2400 with an external gas tank? I would really like to hear about your setup.

Thanks,
Don
don_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Why do you need an external gas tank? My understanding is the built in one should last around 7 - 8 hours under a meduim load. As for a real answer to your question I don't have one as I have the Yamaha 3000 and a full tank will run
well over 12 hours.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
I suggest the a Yamaha has about the same size tank as a EU2000i. The tank is small and requires filling too often. However. the Honda has a fuel pump and can pump fuel from a tank below. I guess the Yamaha doesn't have a fuel pump and relies on gravity feed. That is going to make any extended run tank have to be above the level of Yamaha tank or the fuel will have to be pumped to that level.
Not an easy situation to overcome.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Last year during hunting season I had issues with my propane heat and had to use my Honda 2K and a 1.5 cube heater for heat. With a heavy load you can only expect to get only 5-6 hours out of a tank of gas. That means at 0 dark:30 you have to get up and go outside and refill the generator with gas. This year I plan to have a newer furnace installed in my camper, but I will also have an external fuel tank for my honda.
One issue I had was keeping track of operating hours with this heavy use. I would definately install an hour meter if you plan on using an external gas tank. Also take along everything you need for changing oil in your generator. With long winter nights it did not take long to rack up the hours on my generator.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Several years ago someone posted Pics of his Honda external fuel tank.
It was the typical portable 5 gallon plastic outboard engine tank you buy at Wal-Mart.
He also used the OB fuel line with the pump bulb in it. This was to prime the line and the back flow valve in the bulb eliminated the siphoning of the generator fuel tank.
The Honda fuel cap was modified so the external fuel line went through the cap into the tank.
Wish I could remember more,
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Several years ago someone posted Pics of his Honda external fuel tank.
It was the typical portable 5 gallon plastic outboard engine tank you buy at Wal-Mart.
He also used the OB fuel line with the pump bulb in it. This was to prime the line and the back flow valve in the bulb eliminated the siphoning of the generator fuel tank.
The Honda fuel cap was modified so the external fuel line went through the cap into the tank.
Wish I could remember more,
John
Here you go... hope this helps...

http://www.wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html

Best Regards
Dale
Dale A Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator