fantastic fan water leak - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #1

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
fantastic fan water leak

We had our first rain..and it was torrential. I discovered a very wet carpeted floor under the fantastic fan. The water is coming in from one corner of the fan, between the wood strip and the rat fur.

I tried tightening the screws at each corner of the fan, but the wood shattered on the opposite corner of the leak. Now I have to figure out how to repair the wood trim and rescrew the fantastic fan.

Other than reseal around the outside edge of the fan with a waterproof sealant and add new pop caps, what else should I look for/do?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 19
SE shore Lake Erie In Cattaraugus County
Cover it with aCamco Aero-Flo Roof Vent Cover and you don't have to worry about the leaks!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The wood trim is just that.. trim pieces for appearance. They wont stop any leaks.
If it was not a one time thing then chances are one of the rivets is leaking. Snap caps are more for appearance than water proofing
You can try to apply good lap sealant on the edges and over the rivets on the roof. But the best fix is likely removing the fan altogether, and reinstalling with new butyl or gasket, and sealant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Cover it with aCamco Aero-Flo Roof Vent Cover and you don't have to worry about the leaks!
I'm not so sure about that.. if the leak is around the edges of the fan on the roof because of bad seal then the cover won't stop the leak. However a rain cover so you can open the fan in the rain is a very nice thing to have.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
fantastic fan leak

Thanks, Gordon. Sounds like I need to make the fan opening repairs first, so guess it will have to go to the RV repair shop.

I think the rain cover is a great idea. Would I be able to open the fantastic fan cover under the Camco rain cover to effectively exchange air when the fan is operating?
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I think the rain cover is a great idea. Would I be able to open the fantastic fan cover under the Camco rain cover to effectively exchange air when the fan is operating?
I have the cover shown being installed in this video and yes, my vent is open pretty much all the time (for ventilation) unless I am in the camper and it is real cold or I am using A/C. The vent opens maybe 85% of the way.. not quite fully open. Never had a problem with rain. If you don't have the roof A/C then this will make the trailer overall higher. And I think you will find that there are rivets instead of screws as in the video, otherwise the process is about the same. I used rivets but SS bolts with Nyloc nuts would be fine. Just don't torque it so much that it cracks something.

I think the Camco one is different so I can't speak to it. You would need to verify it fits on the existing model of fan you have or modify as needed... perhaps drilling additional holes.

https://youtu.be/uT60mq1tQ6E?t=85
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:50 AM   #6
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
A few years back I owned a Scamp 19 with 2 fantastic fans, one in the sleeping loft and one over the rear dinette. Both leaked, because there was no butyl tape installed under the flange. They just cut a hole, dropped in the fan, and ran a bead of silicon around the outer edge and over the heads of the rivets. I’m not saying this is the likely cause but when leaks like the one described by the OP occur, it is often best to remove the entire assembly and start from scratch rather than to simply apply a “bandaid” to the wound.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Fantastic Fan Leak Fix & Cover

My recommendation would be to fix the leak first BEFORE installing an outside cover.

I had a slight leak on my Casita’s fantastic fan and eliminated the leak by removing the original caulking and replacing it with silicone sealant. The removal process is tedious (similar to the step in Gordon’s video) since I removed/replaced the caulking on all four sides and, using a drywall taping knife, a slight bit in-between the fantastic fan’s flange and the fiberglass . I squeegeed the silicone as best I could into the gap between the fantastic fan’s flange and the fiberglass and gave it a liberal coating on the flange and about an inch onto the fiberglass.

Later on I added this MaxAir II vent cover. This particular model has mounting brackets that you install onto the fantastic fan’s flange; no holes are required thru the trailer’s fiberglass. And, should bugs (somehow) get between the cover and the fantastic fan, you can always unclip it on one side, hinge it up and vacuum them out.

The benefit of the cover is that you can have the fan open/operating in the rain. However, I would not recommend that you leave the fantastic fan up when driving; the concern there is the stress that the fantastic fan’s cover's support arm would be subjected to by highway bounce….
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #8

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I agree with Larry...fix the leak then add the Max Air II cover.....we live in very wet country....I have the vent open during the strongest rains....the Max Air works really well.....we even leave the vent open when driving. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Mine was dripping and it turned out to be star cracks around the rivets holding the smoked plastic lid to the hinge. easy replacement of cover problem solved
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #10

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Roof calking

We have started removing the calking from arround vents and skylights and replacing with Eternabond RSK tape. Tired of always having to remove and redo calking or layering more on top. Eternabord is not to difficult to apply, makes for a nicer finish and should not need redoing for many years.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #11

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
If it is the cover thats is leaking you can also look for a replacement double pane replacement. Not sure if they can still be had but makes alot of difference re condensation etc… believe I found mine from a boat supplier.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #12

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Fantastic fan vent cover

I had the same problem with water coming in through the Fantastic Fan after heavy rain, but could not find a leak. Replaced the vent cover with a Maxxair model with a slightly different profile and have not had water coming in the fan since.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...covers/fanmate

Denise
Old 09-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
I bought a 25’x4” roll of sealing tape from Camping World, removed all silicone caulk around all holes in the roof, smoothed rivet stems. Cut the material 2” wide and put around all vents and access openings….leaks stopped! Don’t recall name of tape but it’s white on exterior and bottom is very sticky. You get one shot at attaching.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote