Fiberglass pop up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #21

Name: don j
Trailer: amerigo & apache
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In general, things with mechanical/moving parts are going to be heavier that things without moving parts on the same footprint. In addition, the top half of the Hi-Lo has to be oversized to fit over the bottom, and both halves likely need additional reinforcement to overcome the inherent floppiness of an open box. Added weight negates much of the aerodynamic advantage when towing. A friend had one for a number of years and liked it, but I thought it was kind of ugly.

The Apache hard-side pop-ups have a loyal cult following, but aren't the sides plastic rather than fiberglass? Therein lies the problem- don't think you can fabricate plastic in your garage. I'm guessing the one in Britain is also plastic.
I have an Apache and yes it is plastic and you can actually fix the plastic in your garage using MEK and ABS pellets which you brush on and it melts the plastic together. you can also make patches with it!Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	92942
donjdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjdart View Post
I have an Apache and yes it is plastic and you can actually fix the plastic in your garage using MEK and ABS pellets which you brush on and it melts the plastic together. you can also make patches with it!
Interesting, Don. Is that your trailer in the photo? It looks to be in pristine condition. Those Apaches were pretty common back when I was a kid traveling extensively with my family in our (conventional) tent trailer.

I'm guessing the process you describe is limited to repairs, though- cracks or smaller holes. Is it fairly easy, as suggested in an earlier post, to find replacement panels? There's one sitting neglected in a corner of an RV lot near me, but it looks like a project...

What is the approximate unloaded weight of yours?

Thanks for catching and updating this old thread!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Do plastic and fiberglass work together? I don't think we can fix all-molded-towables with MEK and ABS pellets
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #24

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Do plastic and fiberglass work together? I don't think we can fix all-molded-towables with MEK and ABS pellets
Nope, you're right. Definitely two different materials. Fiberglass has a big advantage when it comes to making repairs.

This thread went a bit sideways when a couple of designs were mentioned that look like molded fiberglass panels but are actually plastic, like the vintage Apache folding trailers. Don was pointing out there there are ways to make smaller repairs to plastic, but for major repairs I'd guess you have to find a replacement panel cannibalized from another unit.

Back in the 70's I will admit I was envious of the Apache trailers. They were, and still are, pretty cool. But when it comes to simplicity, low maintenance, and repairability… I'll stick with my egg!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #25

Name: don j
Trailer: amerigo & apache
Wisconsin
Registry
Yes that is mine. I am rebuilding that Apache and an Amerigo. Big difference between fiberglass and plastic repair! Mine is one of the bigger models 24' long, 2200#. I set it aside for now while I work on my Amerigo. And large parts can be fixed on them using pieces of abs and melding them together. If you end up getting one, there is a great facebook group where we all help each other and share info & parts. www.facebook.com/groups/201182856613333/ and there is a company that purchased all the plans when Apache closed and they sell parts, they also tell you how to fix them. Apache Replacement Parts LLC They are fun but my Amerigo is getting done 1st!
donjdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #26

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjdart View Post
...If you end up getting one,...
I admit it's tempting, but I'd rather spend the time camping in my Scamp!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Burro built pop-up campers. Not the best pic of an old ad. From an '80's Popular Science magazine
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0387.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote