Fiberglass pop up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Fiberglass pop up

Check out Vintage Camper Trailers Facebook page for fiberglass pop ups! So cool!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415216055.577951.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	78365

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #2

New York
Registry
They are called Rangers Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415216227.732938.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	78366

Old 11-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
They are very attractive.

I wish someone would build a hardside popup similar to the Hi-Lo out of molded FG.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We've discussed the Ranger here before. NEATO! Gotta have the hot rod or street machine as the tow tho...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I wish someone would build a hardside popup similar to the Hi-Lo out of molded FG.
Here is an all-molded-fiberglass hardside popup made in Britain in the 1960s, with a video of it being erected:

portafold - YouTube

The portafold was fairly light, as this video demonstrates:

http://youtu.be/OGM3LlRp8B8
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Apache also made a hard sided pop up.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yeah, but when I speak of a Hi-Lo type popup, I'm envisioning one piece molded FG top/sides that fit over another one-piece FG bottom/lower sides. No seams but for the belly seam, which would have a gasket to keep out the weather when set up. That would be a pretty neat rig.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What with draft (side taper) requirements in a mold it could be difficult to make a pop-up FGRV in which the top half could telescope over the lower half.

FWIW: The Hi-Lo trailers are deceptively heavy, I mean really heavy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In general, things with mechanical/moving parts are going to be heavier that things without moving parts on the same footprint. In addition, the top half of the Hi-Lo has to be oversized to fit over the bottom, and both halves likely need additional reinforcement to overcome the inherent floppiness of an open box. Added weight negates much of the aerodynamic advantage when towing. A friend had one for a number of years and liked it, but I thought it was kind of ugly.

The Apache hard-side pop-ups have a loyal cult following, but aren't the sides plastic rather than fiberglass? Therein lies the problem- don't think you can fabricate plastic in your garage. I'm guessing the one in Britain is also plastic.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Apache also made a hard sided pop up.
I talked to the owner of one on Thanksgiving weekend. It turns out it was a 1979. You don't see to many tent trailers of that era. Sure speaks to being molded, whether fiberglass or plastic.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #11

Just like with our FGRV's it all depends on how well they are taken care of by the owners. Here's two examples, both have original interior and tent fabric intact. The Palomino tent looks "as new".

A 1983 Starcraft
1983 StarCraft 14 Foot Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

and a 1988 Palomino:
1988 Palomino Pop-Up Trailer Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

But yes, I did look at a lot of abused and neglected units before buying these for $400 & $350 respectively.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Yep, it all depends on how it was cared for.....

Here's a picture of my Kennedy-era 1962 Trade Winds camper. Sold it a couple of summers ago to get something a little newer.

Now I have my Nixon-era Compact Jr.

The Trade Winds was very nice, drew a lot of praise in the campgrounds.

But I wanted something a little more comfortable.

Vintage campers like this have no lift system and are very light.

I used it for a few years and sold it for more than I paid, another plus for vintage campers.

The newest camper I ever had was from the Reagan-era!
Attached Thumbnails
camper done.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #13

Name: Phil & Margot
Trailer: 1982 Boler 17' 2002 Honda Odyssey. Replaced with a 2010 Odyssey
Ottawa, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We've discussed the Ranger here before. NEATO! Gotta have the hot rod or street machine as the tow tho...
Maybe I should put a trailer hitch on my '74 Corvette. Then I would have an FGTV as well
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #14

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In general, things with mechanical/moving parts are going to be heavier that things without moving parts on the same footprint. In addition, the top half of the Hi-Lo has to be oversized to fit over the bottom, and both halves likely need additional reinforcement to overcome the inherent floppiness of an open box. Added weight negates much of the aerodynamic advantage when towing. A friend had one for a number of years and liked it, but I thought it was kind of ugly.

The Apache hard-side pop-ups have a loyal cult following, but aren't the sides plastic rather than fiberglass? Therein lies the problem- don't think you can fabricate plastic in your garage. I'm guessing the one in Britain is also plastic.

A friend just bought an Apache. It's made of ABS Plastic. We both thought for a moment it was fiberglass also

Old 09-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

If nothing else, the HI-LO type of campers define the term HEAVY. I think that the frame is built from structural steel to be able to raise the upper half. LOL

I just happen to have learned about an Apache that might be for sale in the Chelan area. If so, and it's a good deal, I will add it to my fleet. If it's not a good deal I will post the info LOL

Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We still have our '73 Starcraft pop-up that sleeps 8, two wings & two tables. Bought it in '78, keep it inside, replaced the canvas several years ago. Sleeps 8 probably means 8 preteen kids
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...I just happen to have learned about an Apache that might be for sale in the Chelan area. If so, and it's a good deal, I will add it to my fleet. If it's not a good deal I will post the info LOL
Just curious, Bob… I did a bit of reading about these on another forum. It seemed like the biggest issue was repair or replacement of ABS side wall parts. Wouldn't they have a tendency to become brittle with UV exposure? What's your take on that?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #18

There is a good site for Apache owners. Best bet is to hope you find one that spent most of it's life closed up.

The 1988 Palomino I referbed for my son had perfect fabric, almost like new after almost 25 years, and I bought it from the family that bought it new.

All I can do is look and see.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

New York
Registry
My friend has commented to me that there is someone locally who owns a warehouse of the Apaches and sells parts. There is a way to fix the ABS if it cracks and if all else fails she said the panels are easily replaced. That is in upstate NY. He happened to camp at the campgrounds we go to often. There is a meet coming up soon downstate that we might just attend with them because I love the vintage campers

Old 09-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #20

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind if this turns onto anything.