Fiberglass rigs with plywood bottoms - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Camp-Inn
California
Fiberglass rigs with plywood bottoms

It makes intuitive sense that an all fiberglass rig would be more water tight (thinking Scamp with its marine plywood bottom versus others like Escape and Casita), but have any of you experienced a problem with newer constructed trailers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Whatever material is used in the floor I think all manufactures encase it in fiberglass. I am actually not sure what Scamp uses, there is no mention on their website, From personal experience my previous Casita used OSB (which I am not a fan of), my current Escape does use marine grade plywood in the floor fully encased in fiberglass
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The Hc1 does not use any plywood in its construction except for the cabinet doors and the tabletops the floor is 1 inch thick corrugated fiberglass and is designed to get wet
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Whatever material is used in the floor I think all manufactures encase it in fiberglass. I am actually not sure what Scamp uses, there is no mention on their website, From personal experience my previous Casita used OSB (which I am not a fan of), my current Escape does use marine grade plywood in the floor fully encased in fiberglass
Oh, thanks, Ian. I've got a Camp-Inn teardrop, aluminum sided but with a wood frame and marine plywood bottom. Never forded any high water with it yet, but no leaks in seven years.
I thought some of the fiberglass trailers are not complete 'eggs' made of two complete shells glued together, but in some I thought the bottom half of their shell was open and had a wood floor actually exposed to the outside. Dunno why I thought that, but I stand corrected!
Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
The Hc1 does not use any plywood in its construction except for the cabinet doors and the tabletops the floor is 1 inch thick corrugated fiberglass and is designed to get wet
Thanks, Mickmay!
Old 09-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Oh, thanks, Ian. .... I thought the bottom half of their shell was open and had a wood floor actually exposed to the outside. Dunno why I thought that, but I stand corrected!
You are correct that some of the early versions did have exposed plywood floors, as an example late 1960's and early 1970's Boler's but these are not very plentiful.. You will run into some problems where a previous owner has compromised the fiberglass skin encapsulating the floor, when this happens water can penetrate the core but will not dry and therefore can accelerate the damage and decay. When purchasing a used fiberglass trailer in most cases floor problems can be identified just by walking on it, if the floor feels soft or flexes under foot take a closer look
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Plywood floors!

My old 1978 13-foot Scamp had/has 1/2-inch plywood floors, that are attached to the side walls with fiberglass tabbing.

There is no fiberglass on the floor except where I added it.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fiberglass rigs with plywood bottoms

Except for Happier Camper and Lil Snoozy, which use a structural honeycomb floor, all the others use wood in some way to provide support. A few, like Scamp, use exposed plywood (or OSB on newer units), coated with fiberglass resin on the underside. Others, like Casita, have a wood floor with a fiberglass underbelly. A third group, Trillium and Escape, encapsulate the wood above and below in fiberglass.

Treated wood floors are the simplest and least expensive. I'm pretty sure the switch from plywood to OSB was cost-driven. Adding a fiberglass underbelly increases protection from road spray and makes a cleaner appearance, but adds weight and cost, and can trap moisture that leaks from above. Fully encapsulated floors are the least susceptible to rot from leaks, but costlier to build and, once compromised, more difficult to repair.

All have stood the test of time. All can last decades with reasonable maintenance. Any can fail with neglect or abuse. Leaks from windows, vents, and plumbing are the main cause of floor failure.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's all about care. My 1973 Hunter still has the original plywood floor and was "skinned" with 1/8 Luan hardwood plywood for cosmetic purposes only

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
My old 1978 13-foot Scamp had/has 1/2-inch plywood floors...

Half-inch? Are you sure? I've never heard of anything less than three-quarters used for the floor.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #11

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Scamp uses plywood and sprays it with a coating of fiberglass resin
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 1999 Scamp's floor was exposed OSB. and I believe it was 1/2" thick.
Never had an issue with the floor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
A related question I have been wondering about..
Does Scamp treat the floor before they drill the holes (for the black water tank drain, etc.)??
If so, do they treat the cut surface or leave it untreated?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My 1999 Scamp's floor was exposed OSB. and I believe it was 1/2" thick.
Never had an issue with the floor.
Interesting… must have heard wrong or misunderstood.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I purchased a Trillium that has a caved in roof. Sat that way for five years I am told. The rain gutters around the top openings in the dinette and gaucho, and the interior fibreglass floor kept the plywood that is sandwiched between the outside shell, and the inside shell, dry and rot free. Since I had planned to wreck this trailer for parts, I was more surprised by this then anyone.

Trillium has since revised the design of the top openings of the gaucho and dinette seats to remove the gutters. I think this is a mistake.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I purchased a Trillium that has a caved in roof. Sat that way for five years I am told. The rain gutters around the top openings in the dinette and gaucho, and the interior fibreglass floor kept the plywood that is sandwiched between the outside shell, and the inside shell, dry and rot free. Since I had planned to wreck this trailer for parts, I was more surprised by this then anyone.
Further proves the worth of fiberglass as the essential construction model.
Begging Escape to put me on any list to buy a 17B contract that people are canceling. No soap-- too much demand!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
My old 1978 13-foot Scamp had/has 1/2-inch plywood floors, that are attached to the side walls with fiberglass tabbing.

There is no fiberglass on the floor except where I added it.

Bill
My 92 Scamp has a wood floor that has been covered in a fiberglass resin.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My 10X12 skid shed is made entirely of 7/16 OSB on 2X3 framing. Even the floor is made of the same material. It has shingles on the roof and a single coat of paint applied in 1997 when it was built. It had become unsightly over the years and I hate to paint... so last week I sided it with vinyl siding. I found no rot anywhere in the structure. Many people who eschew the use of OSB in travel trailers may be unaware that the house in which they live is largely made from the stuff.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Many people who eschew the use of OSB in travel trailers may be unaware that the house in which they live is largely made from the stuff.
I agree there is nothing wrong with the use of OSB (my 23 year old Scamp is proof of that) providing the trailers owner is diligent in fixing leaks as they happen rather than waiting months/years for the floor to rot out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #20

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
Wood flooring

Oliver does not have any wood in it!! Floor is fiberglass.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote