FiberglassRV Brand Comparison Chart - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Check it out...

Brand Comparison Chart

Thanks Thane Lundberg for gathering this info together.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Nice!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #3

If you see errors and omissions, please post them here and I will try to up date quickly.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Great
If we all pitch in, this could be fantastic!

My 2003 16'SD Scamp double bed measured 45 x 77 with rounded corners.
It also has optional vinyl floor and optional extra lights inside
It also has optional heat strip in A/C and extra 110v outlet inside
Not sure why you say Escape is best sized A/C. Mine works fine.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
There are a lot of variances that aren't noted. For instance, Scamp as two different bathroom arrangements and multiple floorplans. I'm not sure about the Scamp side bath model, but with the front bath, of the three, the Escape has the smallest bathroom.

It's a great idea, but the different floorplans do have different pros and cons.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, the sidebath model Scamp as referenced is small, but the upside is the purchaser now gets the large front window and gaucho (did I spell it right?). The front bath model has a bath as large as the Casita...I think.

And no reference to the Scamp Deluxe which can be configured darn near any way a purchaser desires (and can afford). I've even seen pictures where the bathroom was at the REAR.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Great info thread! thanks for posting!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Suz

Registry
Actually, the Casita (all models in all lengths 13',16' & 17') front bath is slightly wider than the Scamp. I thought that the Scamp side bath (now where ARE those measurements???) was even larger than the Escapes.

Escape bathroom w/shower per Reace (unless it has changed): 37"L x 23"W and 65"H.

Is that larger than the side bath Scamp?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thane's chart is a good start on a great idea, but to my mind it needs a little tweaking.

First, it could/should say that it refers to new trailers/current specs only. (Older Casitas do have a kitchen window.)

Next it needs to be a little more specific about which models are being compared. "Casita Deluxe" (which for Casita means "with bathroom" and an upgraded accessories package) comes in several configurations. Their Liberty floorplan does not have the stove next to the bed/dinette, so I assume the description is of their Spirit... except I'm not aware of a gaucho bunk being "standard" with any of their floorplans.

Also, last I heard you can still get a 17 ft. Casita with a wall mounted A/C. (It's standard on their 16 ft. and they'll still do it as an option on the 17s).

My 17 ft. Casita (wall mount A/C, 14" wheels, without high lift axle) is 7' 10". In fact, we might also want to mention that Casita has a 16 ft. trailer of that height (same as Scamp's).

Still, with those clarifications (and possibly similar ones for the Scamp and Escape) this comparison chart could be a handy tool...

...At least until the manufacturers enhance their products!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for all the feedback. I developed the spreadsheet earlier this year as I was trying to decide which bunk bed equipped trailer to purchase, so it is biased towards gaucho units for a family of four. Sorry that I didn't include that information on the spreadsheet.

The Casita is the Spirit Deluxe and the Scamp is the side bath model. Since the Scamp factory burned down and I decided early that the Escape or Casita was best for my family, I stopped researching that model; hence the lack of complete data on the Scamp.

There are a lot of options and alternate floor plans for the various models, I used the published specifications for the bunk bed equipped models with telephone data as required to fill in gaps in information.

As far the A/C unit sizing, I liked the Escape unit best as I considered the BTU rating and power requirements more balanced for the cabin volume. I don't recall the amp rating, but I should be able to run both the A/C and a small microwave with my Honda EU2000. It is too cold to test this theory now as it is hard to get the A/C to cycle.

Getting the spreadsheet to cover all models is probably impossible, there are too many options. I think the existing table does cover the bunk bed models fairly well, though it needs corrections and updates. Perhaps someone can tailor a spreadsheet for trailers built for 2 or 3.

I hope we can keep this spreadsheet a living document and help others decide which model is best for them. I have no problem making changes and updates as required and look forward to learning more about all the FGRVs.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thane, I think you're off to an excellent start. I have a couple of suggestions. How about including the various models of each current manufacturer and group them by size? That would only translate to about ten (or so) vertical columns. Then, use dimensions for each of the areas just as you've done in the bed size. Bath size comes immediately to mind, for the Scamp side-bath v. front bath in the 16' and 19' models for example. Then you could directly compare each model of each brand with the similar model of another brand. Dinette size among the various models, perhaps "walkable floor space" in dimensions, that sort of thing. I think THAT would be useful. I'm sure most of us would be happy to get those actual measurements for you.

The only other suggestion would be to eliminate the subjective comments (as they'd be unnecessary) and just replace them as necessary with *notes about a specific issue or option(s) that is worth comment. I think over all, you've really done well. Thanks!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #12

I am overwhelmed with changes. With Casita having 3 sizes times three floor plans times 2 standard models and Scamp having as many (13’, 16’, 5th wheel), this is impossible to put on a simple chart. If we extrapolate that based on 18 standard models for each of 5 brands, that would be , huh, eleventy-seven columns.

There are 5 current manufacturers, and this would only be for new current models. (Casita used to have windows in the kitchen for instance.)

Everyone looks for a trailer based on their needs.

I am getting overwhelmed with complaints and criticism. I know Thane and I were just trying to do something good. I think we are going to have to do this a different way. It is just too problematic the way it is.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Suggest you re-name this "Escape/Casita/Scamp Comparison," as it only compares thse three FGRV brands. Popular as they may be, they're not the whole market, as the current name implies.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #14

This page has been taken down as we reconsider the best way to add this great idea to our website.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
If we extrapolate that based on 18 standard models for each of 5 brands, that would be, huh, eleventy-seven columns.
That's what I got, too.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1400
Send a message via AIM to Al-Nelson Send a message via MSN to Al-Nelson
Quote:
Check it out...

Brand Comparison Chart

Thanks Thane Lundberg for gathering this info together.

How do I get to this chart? When I click on the link, I just get:

"FiberglassRV Comparisons April 2006
Compiled to the best of one of the members ability. No guarantee of accuracy.

This chart is being reviewed and the approach is being reconsidered.

It may be best to place all this information on each Brand Link on the Home page. If you would like to help gather information for a Brand please let me know. Thank You,

Mike Sanders - webguy "
Al-Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #17

Check out...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ndpost&p=182213

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ndpost&p=182248
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
> How about including the various models of each current manufacturer and group them by size?

I think that is a good idea, as for exemple, somebody interested by a 13' may probably be less interested to compare it with a 17' or a 19' fifth wheels.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape
When we were first in the market for a trailer I spoted a Scamp while traveling down the highway in Montana. When home I started looking on the internet for the Scamp and found it plus fibreglass RV. From fibreglass rv I found Casita and Escape. All my comparison shopping was done on line from their web sites. Escape to me had the best visual presentation and it was only around 500 miles from north central Idaho so that is what we bought. We got the bathroom, my wife and my bladder made that decision. I will say tho that between my claustrophobia and the size of the bathroom that's where the name Escape came from. Jerry
jerry l elven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #20
Suz

Registry
They are all great trailers and they all have their pros and cons depending on each person's needs. A plus for one might be a no-can-do for another. That's why we usually try and steer clear of comparisons. For instance, for me at 5'7", the 5'10" ceiling is just fine. However, many people who come into my trailer have their head sideways because the ceiling is too low. I wouldn't be able to stand up for my shower in the Scamp side bath nor the Escape. This is important to me, so I can't have one of those because I DO use the bath and the shower. However, to someone who is not as tall as I, it wouldn't make any difference.

I could go on ad nauseam, but we've been down that road a lot. I'm not sure what the answer is ... which is probably why we've never done one before.