First Aid/Emergency Kits - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
First Aid/Emergency Kits

What "essentials" do you carry in your first aid and/or emergency kits?

Noel
Red-Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I worked for a medical products company so my basic First Aid kit is an Industrial size one you see out in factories. To that I added things that I would need. Glucose tablets for my diabetes, aspirin, tea tree oil for cleaning the area around wounds, several sanitary napkins for large wound dressings, extra glasses, clove oil for tooth aches, etc. Of course any prescription medicines that you take should be in a separate case and so marked. For some reason I also carry a field surgery kit but don't every see me sewing up anyone or myself.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
If you travel up into the mountains, it is best to have a good field first aid kit. The emergency folks are a long time coming. I have large dressings, ace bandages - ankle/ wrist and knee size. If you mountain bike or might get large scrapes, you might want some of that sock netting that will hold on pads. Oh and instant ice packs are really nice. Match the kit to your activity "danger level" and take a buddy!

Don't do all the stupid stuff I did as a kid. But, if you have to, be a good scout and be prepared!
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Mine is pretty extensive. It even contains things like sutures and injectable Lidocaine, antibiotics, iodine solution and irrigators, ammonia inhalants (smelling salts), burn dressings, as well as more routine firstaid stuff.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A first aid kit with lots of stuff is good thing to have, even better is knowing what to do with. How and when to use which items.
So here's the suggestion. Go to your local fire department and ask when the next first aid class will be taught. Take that class. Also if there's somebody that teaches a "Wilderness First Aid" class take that. Many times in our travels we find ourselves a long ways from medical help and even remote enough that we don't have communications to call for medical help. A person's life could be on the line and you might be able to make a difference.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Dwarf View Post
What "essentials" do you carry in your first aid and/or emergency kits?

Noel

Most good road kits bought have everything the average person may need so I don't understand the use of the word "essential" .

I have added extras to my kit ie ten spare pairs of gloves as the first rule is protect yourself first from others body fluids.
Having at least a basic first aid course should be required.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Most good road kits bought have everything the average person may need so I don't understand the use of the word "essential" .
I would think a snake bite kit would be considered an "essential" in certain areas of our country, especially for those people who boondock. In Oregon, we wouldn't necessarily need it.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
True Donna that makes sense.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I would think a snake bite kit would be considered an "essential" in certain areas of our country, especially for those people who boondock. In Oregon, we wouldn't necessarily need it.
Not so. I suggest you read a bit before buying a snake bite kit. Here's two links to get you started.
Deadly Dilemma: Do Snake-Bite Kits Help? - WSJ.com
Snake and Lizard Bites-Home Treatment

Snake bites happen, but often don't lead to anything. Read a bit about how to avoid them. There's lot of good information out there.
Also.. My last first aid class said don't bother with a snake bite kit, you'll probably do more damage to yourself than the snake bit.

Oh Donna, Eastern Oregon has thousands of rattle snakes.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I've got the larger Coleman first aid kit plus a few items from my emergency first responder kit. One of the things I use a lot is Nexcare Absolutely Waterproof Tape. This stuff is awesome! It stays on through bathing and showering.

As most of us know, the most common injuries when camping are cuts and burns. That will tell you the most important things you need.

I also keep a supply of pain pills handy. No, I'm not an addict! I haven't taken one since I had a terrible earache about a ear ago. I have a stash of about 25-30 hydrocodone pills at home that I will take along when I travel... Just in case. I started doing this after being on a sailboat for 8 days when a friend of mine slipped and landed on a rack of Scuba tanks. He was alright, but it took us a while to find an island that had some ibuprofen. Would have been much better off with a stronger pain pill. I whipped him up a pitcher of some other pain meds... Consisting mainly of rum.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Oh Donna, Eastern Oregon has thousands of rattle snakes.
Yep, "essential" there is knee-high leather boots. I think that's why I said "In Oregon, we wouldn't necessarily need it.?"

For my part of Oregon, I need something to remove the slime of banana slugs.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep, "essential" there is knee-high leather boots. I think that's why I said "In Oregon, we wouldn't necessarily need it.?"

For my part of Oregon, I need something to remove the slime of banana slugs.
An interesting thing about rattle snakes and dry side. I lived in eastern Oregon and Idaho for about 10 years. Hiked, camped (not tent), and generally spent a lot of time outside. Since then I've spent many nights on the dry side in a tent and a lot of hiking. I have yet to see a rattle snake. Looks to me like it's not much of a problem.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #13

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
I was also wondering about other emergency items, like flares and such.

Noel
Red-Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:

Noel
I carry the folding triangle type of warning markers. I generally don't like to carry flares.
Of course there's the jack, lego blocks, leather gloves, folding 4 way lug wrench.
Since I have a ham radio license I carry a couple ham radios, including one installed in tow vehicle. Works where cell phones don't.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Noel

Most kits are well equipped, I do carry a 5 pound extinguisher in the van as well as a wreaking bar only because space is not an issue.
The trailer also has a 5 pound extinguisher.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:

Noel
I carry several flares, a couple of 20 minute and 5 or 6 15 minute. Mostly I use them for starting campfires

My needs aren't typical, but I aslo carry an axe, shovel, hi-lift jack, bow saw, chainsaw, large bolt cutters, reflective vest, onboard air compressor, flat repair kit, spare essentail parts kit, expanded tool box, tow strap and rigging, propane torch, air powered tools, and several work lights.

At one time or another I have used it all.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote